Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Right, minor issues fixed, undercoating about to commence.

I'm planning on painting her on the cork base, and mounting her to the 40mm base afterwards. The reason being there are a number of angles that will be quite tricky to get to if she's permanently fixed down - stuff like the underside of the coat and parts of her upper legs.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Simeon Blackstar

Marco, your sculpting is really improving quickly - if you keep up this rate of progress I can't imagine the models you'l be doing this time next year!  The face looks nice from what I can see, and I really like those boots.
My one criticism is the chainsword looking a bit small for her in the pictures, though like you say the original concept had a short sword.

Regarding the laspistol, in the IG codex they get bolt pistols automatically.  However, if a laspistol is good enough for Commissar Holt, it's good enough for anyone!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on February 17, 2010, 03:31:37 PMMarco, your sculpting is really improving quickly - if you keep up this rate of progress I can't imagine the models you'll be doing this time next year!
Actually, I still reckon that Kai is the best I've managed yet! The re-painting I'm currently doing is making a big difference to his model.

As far as the Commissar's weapons, I didn't want big hulking battlefield weapons. The chainsword is going to be  be a smaller model (as you'd imagine, it being borrowed from a 28mm IG sergeant)... I imagine something like Reach 2, Damage 3D6-1 (or possibly 3D6) and PP -20%
Still quite nasty, but less so than a full size version. In the end, her weapons are mostly for show (and some intimidation factor) - it's not expected that they'll see regular use in combat.

Outside of painting, I'm looking at getting back to the concept drawings.
Rather than waiting to have them all the drawings done before I start the set of models, I'm going to sort out about half of the designs, then start on the models for that lot (at the same time finishing off "Mini-me" and Frost), and start the other models as and when their concepts are done.

Doing it that way should make scheduling less of a rush. Also, I've realised I don't actually have enough cork bases to do all of the models I have planned at the same time. As a plus, it'll also mean I'll have models at different stages of production - I don't have to spend a day doing similar bits on different models, and left over putty can get better used for basic bulking out.

Might even let me get more models done.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

A WIP on Kai.

Firstly, I have to apologise for messing up the photo. I took the photo with a light source from the right... failing to realise that would make his arm cast a shadow across his chest. By the time I'd realised the gaffe, my camera was insisting that I recharge the batteries. Next time, I'll actually set up the photo "booth" properly.

Secondly, I know some of the highlights on the armour plates are a bit messy - didn't really notice until I took the picture, but it was clear enough at that point. I'll go back to them on my next session and tidy them up.

Thirdly, although it's taking a lot of effort, I'm glad I went back to redo him - I'm no master of the brush, but I can still do better than the total rush of a paintjob I slapped on before the IGT.
I've been comparing the photos alongside each other, and quite aside from the extra effort applied, the darker colour scheme really has made a big difference. That extra range of colours almost even justifies the money spent on the full Mega Paintset!

As a result of the work, (I hope) he's lost the "possessed maniac" look he had before - but hopefully still manages to look like a battle hardened veteran who is both able and willing to really mess up your day.

...or perhaps Vin Diesel, I'm not entirely sure. ::)

I've had to revert from my normal practice of next to no colour mixing - I think I've mixed at least two shades for each area. It's years since I last did any blending, and I'm rather out of practice (not that I was fantastic in the first place), so I've had to compensate with extra layers instead.
Obviously a lesser technique, but while I'd like them to be awesome display pieces, the reality is that these are are tabletop models, not Golden Demon entries - and Sod's law means that if I do put in all that extra effort, it'll only get damaged.

Anyway, until next time.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Hmm. I'd kinda expected more response.

I've not done much on Kai in the last couple of days (applied a few base colours), as I've been at the sketchpad trying to work out what I want to do with Silva. Not entirely the easiest thing I've ever had to do - I've long been firm on the rule that the only changes I make to her appearance are because there was actually something wrong. As I'm not changing what she looks like, I'm trying to work out clothing and equipment that still feels entirely like her character, but which works in 40k as well.

It's going to take a bit more fixing. I've been considering trying to take some cues from the Catachan imagery, but when I've done that on previous occasions, people haven't necessarily thought it was 40k enough. ::)

Anyway, when I've got her design fixed, I'm going to get started on the models for her, Marco, Maya (the replacement for Renatus) and possibly...

... well, as if I didn't already have enough models I was supposed to be doing, I've managed to end up enamoured with another piece of GW art - this Sororitas picture which appears in various different places.
I'm not certain yet, but I'm considering getting to work on a model of her as well.

You know, if I keep getting compulsions to sculpt things, I'm going to end up with a lot of models - and possibly quite good at sculpting as well. ;D

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Kai's much improved over the old paint job (the old one made his face look like the puppet from the Saw films).  The camo is coming along very nicely and I love the addition of the facemask/rebreather. 

RobSkib

Kai is looking much better than he did, although I must say I'm mildly curious at your choice of white for the undercoat for such a dark model.

I'm also a fan of that Sisters picture and as much as I know you like sculpting, I think you could do much worse than looking at the daemonhuntress, if only for a basis for the arms and legs, it has quite nice armour and I have a fellow player who made a cool sister-superior from one.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Myriad

I agree Kai is looking much improved, especially the camo patterning which is much sharper. 
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on February 22, 2010, 01:42:33 PM...although I must say I'm mildly curious at your choice of white for the undercoat for such a dark model.
It's just what I tend to do - it's one thing to paint dark colours over a light undercoat, but quite another to try and paint light colours over a dark undercoat.

I learnt to paint that way, and while I've tried black undercoats, I prefer working from white - admittedly, white can't act as the base shading layer, but black can make it harder to work out the details on the model.
And on the whole "if you miss a spot, black looks better" issue... yeah, but it makes it easier to miss those spots in the first place.

Sometimes I spray a model white, then give it a black wash (or two), which makes for a good best of both worlds solution - the wash gives the base shading layer, the detail is nicely thrown into contrast, but without a black overwhelming all the lighter colours.

However, this time around... I just went with white. It works for me, and as they say, don't fix what ain't broke.

QuoteI'm also a fan of that Sisters picture and as much as I know you like sculpting, I think you could do much worse than looking at the daemonhuntress.
I do actually have most of a Daemon Huntress in my bitz box. I had considered using her as a base, but she's a bit on the spindly side comparatively, and as I'd want to change the kneepads, I'd end up losing quite a lot of the Huntress under putty or to the modelling saw.

As I don't think it's really worth losing a model which could be used for a future conversion for the few bits that would still be visible on the surface (and certainly not worth it as filler*), I think I'll probably leave it in my bitz box to wait for me to come up with an idea that uses it more "neat".

*I use about 8-10 grams of putty in a model on average. As ordering two 70 gram packs of ProCreate from Heresy comes in at about £16 after shipping, that means it's perhaps £1 worth of putty in a model. Consequently, using parts of an £18 model as filler would be pretty daft.

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 22, 2010, 03:56:00 AMI love the addition of the facemask/rebreather.
That's something I'd wanted to add the first time around (as the original image does have one), but I didn't have either the time or the Terminator head I was looking for as a base.

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

QuoteSometimes I spray a model white, then give it a black wash (or two), which makes for a good best of both worlds solution - the wash gives the base shading layer, the detail is nicely thrown into contrast, but without a black overwhelming all the lighter colours.

I've done this a couple times and find it really is the best of both worlds (I tried the white and love the ease of applying lighter colors, but I am very, very bad at missing spots).  It is also the most time consuming prep method though.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 23, 2010, 02:22:34 AMI am very, very bad at missing spots
Well, I don't worry too much. I'll spot those mistakes eventually, and while it might be annoying until I actually get it to the painting table, any mistake that's been missed for that long is unlikely to be a completely glaring one.

QuoteIt is also the most time consuming prep method though.
Unfortunately. It takes a while for the spray to dry, and the washes - well, I've had washes take hours to dry.

But it does tend to make up for that.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Every now and again, I'm going to continue muttering about potential models - mostly to see what people think.
It's entirely probable that some of these won't happen, and even those that do will probably have to wait - but plenty of ideas can't be a bad thing.

This is an interesting one. I was looking at the unreleased models thread on Warseer, and came across a Necromunda bounty hunter that was apparently sculpted, but never actually sold.

Do some adjustment on the pose, few other tweaks and scale it up - should fit right in. Not sure what I'd use it for, but could always act as a GMing tool for harassing players until he gets a proper home.

~~~~~

On the continuation of the theme of unreleased models, although rather less likely, is the possibility of resurrecting some of the missing Inquisitor models, such as "Bloody Paulus", the Sgt Stone variant who appears a few times in the rulebook. These models would be built off their appropriate base model, with me just attempting to reproduce the unreleased conversion pack.

The problem is that I can't see as much reason to do this set. Yeah, it would be neat to nearly have models that were never released... but in the end, I feel like I'd be doing them because of that, rather than because they were models I hugely liked or had any plans for.

GW's =I= articles

Necris

Interesting I've seen that model with a different head and weapon combo, possibly holding an auotgun if memory serves me well.

It is one of the nicest minis I've seen from the whole range and would have made a nice basis for a Cadian Special operations guy.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Vermis

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 26, 2010, 12:26:46 AM
... a Necromunda bounty hunter that was apparently sculpted, but never actually sold.

Discarded prototype?  Probably wouldn't have been the finished sculpt, with all those plastic bits.

Still, it looks like a great concept.  I'm looking forward to see what you do with it.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Vermis on February 26, 2010, 02:00:29 PMDiscarded prototype?  Probably wouldn't have been the finished sculpt, with all those plastic bits.
Final "sculpts" can have a lot of plasticard and plastic bits in them. It doesn't make sense to sculpt a new boltpistol, or work your fingers to the bone trying to get a flat plate of an even thickness every time you need one when you can just grab a pre-made piece.

Anyway, I have to apologise for my current lack of activity. I've been occupied for the last couple of days because on Wednesday my father ejected from a pushbike at some speed and in the process, fractured both his elbow and pelvis, so a lot of time has been dedicated to dealing with that.
If time presents itself, I'm going to try and get some armatures made this evening, although I doubt they'll go further until later this weekend... whenever I find the time to get back to the sketchpad and tidy up the concepts.

However, I did pick up a new modelling knife yesterday for the purpose of doing some of the really fine details.

GW's =I= articles