Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Where does everyone live?

Started by RobSkib, August 03, 2009, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Mentirius on February 03, 2021, 05:39:41 PM28mm isn't the way most people play but there's definitely a notable minority out there who prefer it
I don't know that that's true any more, particularly as the veteran 54mm community dwindles.

QuoteWith that said, I'd strongly discourage letting anyone use any Space Marines if you do go that way, however convenient it may seem at the time!
A default ban on "Any model from one of your 40k armies" is generally a good idea in 28mm.

While some archetypes do reasonably show up in both WH40K and Inquisitor (e.g. Guardsmen, Preachers, etc), Inquisitor characters should have a depth that is rarely afforded to WH40k miniatures unless they're well above the power level that's suitable for Inquisitor.

Actually, to be honest, if a player did do that, I'd have to wonder whether they were a particularly good candidate for Inquisitor. (Although they'd get a pass if they're the kind of person who obsessively converts/names all their models).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Quote from: Mentirius on February 03, 2021, 05:39:41 PM

Model-wise, 54mm is definitely the way to go IMO, although you could potentially make the same characters in both that and 28mm if you really wanted to maximise possible games.  28mm isn't the way most people play but there's definitely a notable minority out there who prefer it, and if you're looking to "convert" 40K players, sometimes it helps if they can use their existing bits box to cobble together a cheap and cheerful warband for a test campaign.  With that said, I'd strongly discourage letting anyone use any Space Marines if you do go that way, however convenient it may seem at the time!

I tend to go for 54mm first, then 28mm as a backup/alternative - I will note that the existence of the "Ammobunker" forum, and Mr Blanche's (apparent) presence there, plus the Blanchitsu articles in WD, the existence of "Inquisimunda" in addition to Inq28 and related 28mag publications would suggest an ever increasing support for 28mm due to a lack of official support for 54mm, plus an ever increasing lack of 54mm sculpts as more are bought on fleabay - I just sold a 54mm chaos-corrupted servitor for example - shows that we as 54mm players are increasingly (sadly) becoming the minority.
And it doesn't help that if we want unconverted 54mm sculpts, we have to pay "top dollar" and/or an arm and/or leg to acquire such things on ebay, while even pre-built (or in dire need of an acetone bath!) minis are sold for the same prices as BNIB 54mm sculpts used to be sold for.

I mostly maintain my own warbands now in 54mm classic scale, pure GW metal, to avoid issues at any official GW venue we might appear at. But if I were to go full GM and build a horde of NPCs, I'd probably just buy bulk orders of any random 54mm minis from alternative sources, and convert them as needed (as long as you squint and don't look too closely).
For 28mm, I've got a few minis set up already, and I'm planning on putting together an appropriate 28mm scale version of my 54mm versions of Jack and Samantha as my primary warband in both scales. After that I have a few pure 54mm warbands, and one or two pure 28mm warbands. Plus some 54mm altered space marines after following Greenstuff Gav's conversion tutorials for the Artemis model. I've got one or two pure (or almost pure) metal GW 54mm marines left to convert. After that I've got two or possibly 3 resin copies that I honestly probably don't really want.
you can probably find examples of most of my efforts if you filter the P&M section of this forum by my username.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.