Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Deathwatch Reborn:- Georme Operation

Started by Necris, December 09, 2009, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swarbie

Artos sat in the passenger bay of the Crusader, his eyes closed as he fought against the constant distraction.

"I hear them," he said.

"What?" answered Kraven.

"In my mind. The voices. The feral snarls, the hisses, the predatory howls. They hunger."

Artos opened his eyes, and looked at Kraven and the others.

"This will be the hardest fight you have ever known. None of us will escape unscathed. The leader-beasts have awoken from their sleep.

"They are waiting for us."
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

++Mission time 00:15++

Demos sat upon his idling bike surveying they landscape before him, the world was arid and a storm had recently passed despite the seals of his armour protecting him from the outside world he could feel the freshness of the storms passing, the land was also littered with the death xenos filth, beside his foot a genesteelers carcass lay the exoskeleton structure of it's bones reduced to little more than packed dust, a gentle tap from his armoured boot ended the sneering face as it crumbled away before it.

To his left Peleus and Simon sat a kilometer away Laran a few hundred feet to his right, he activated his vox link.

"Hunrik, have you located any targets?"

There was a pause before Hunrik's voice echoed back to him.

"Affirmative, I just passed a group of warriors, they were alert enough to fire upon me as I made my pass but their aim was off, I'm making another pass to break the group up with fire."

"Understood, what is your location."

"Five clicks north west of the landing zone."

"Confirmed, all units prepare to mobilise, Rant have you made the necessary modifications to the rhinos?"

"Affirmed."   

"All units converge one klick from the target area, we'll do this as one."

He gunned the engine of his bike revving the engine a few times he he turned it on the spot as Laran joined him.

"We swing wide collect Peleus and Simon and sweep round."

"Understood Captain."

They gunned their engines and set of left towards the north.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Necris

+Mission Time 00:30+

He pulled up the bikes in a line one klick from the target zone using the enhanced visuals of his helm he zoomed the distance and observed the targets.

"A dozen, hunrik we need that whittled down."

"Understood captain, coming in for a pass now."

The four of them watched as the tempest whipped in coming low across the terrain it opened fire with the assault cannon kicking up dirt and dust cutting through the herd of tyranid warriors, the warriors turned their long barrelled guns to the sky and followed the landspeeder spitting fire in it's wake, one of the monsters was reduced to pulp as it failed to move from the path of deadly fire.

"They are slow, seems the chemical soup in the air has affected their reaction times, this we can use."

"I concur captain, I've made three passes now, and their fire hasn't even posed a threat."

The crusader pulled up behind them.

"Good, marines fall out, Rant get behind the assault cannon guns, you're the best shot in the task force I'll need your eyes for this, Hunrik make another pass try and separate one from the group, we'll move in an capture it, Rant cross your fire with Hunrik's make a wall the others can't cross."

He dismounted and drew his bolter moving off down the landscape like a hunter.

Koval

"Ready."

Rant panned the Crusader's assault cannons in their cupola, sighting the pack of warrior beasts angling deathspitters and venom cannon at Hunrik's speeding Tempest. The enemy fire was slow and poorly aimed, with each volley falling wide. Thanks to the Crusader's auspex array, Rant could track the bioweapon shots individually as they arced upwards and sailed past where Hunrik had been seconds before.

One of the warrior specimens on the right-hand edge of the cluster slowly began to notice the massive Land Raider bearing down on it, and was first to swing its deathspitter around. It fired an instant too soon and the bioweapon's corrosive payload splattered messily in the dust, spraying the Land Raider's adamantium flank with acid that succeeded only in stripping the paintwork.

"Rant to Hunrik. Warrior beast, distracted. Capture?" Rant queried.

"I see it, brother," voxed Hunrik. "Open fire on the main brood in three, two..."

Rant gripped the assault cannons' triggers in both hands and made a last-minute adjustment to his aim.

"...one, and fire!"

Rant pulled the triggers, noting a slight resistance in the mechanism, and the cannon barrels began to rotate before vomiting a stream of high-velocity shells into the warrior brood. The foremost warrior beast was vapourised instantly as the assault cannons' heavy shells tore it to shreds, and as Hunrik added his own firepower, Rant continued to pelt the tyranids with unrelenting fire, killing another warrior as they whirled around to engage the new threat. One brought its long-barrelled venom cannon around an instant before Hunrik took it apart, snapping it in two around its wasp-waisted midsection.

Within seconds, the warrior beast on the far right was separated from its fellows, and Hunrik rolled, raking the ground between it and its brood with assault cannon shells. Gunfire screamed upwards at his Tempest, some of it dangerously close for comfort, and Rant suddenly let go of the triggers as something started probing his mind.

"Get out!" he snarled, his entire body tensing for a single grim second as something forgotten in the back of his memory rumbled in its sleep.

"Brother Rant, is something the matter?" Hunrik asked, and Rant snapped back to reality, realising that his assault cannons were angled upwards, at where Hunrik must have been before he'd released the triggers.

He'd come dangerously close to killing his own battle-brother.

"Negative," Rant grunted as he brought the guns back down and continued harassing the warrior brood. Many had changed targets, their deathspitter weapons firing ineffectively at the Crusader's ebon hull, but an especially sluggish, or stubborn, pair were still trying to down Hunrik's Tempest. Between them, Rant and Hunrik took them apart in a volley of shells.

Within the back of Rant's mind, though, there was something wrong.

The wounds of Morel's Reach had never healed, and were opening once again in the presence of the hive mind.

He prayed that he would never subject his brothers to the horrors that still tormented him.

Swarbie

In the back of the Crusader, Artos felt the surge of power as the warrior attempted to influence Rant. His mind, made receptive to such things after his first time fighting tyranids, sensed the warriors die, one by one, until only one was left.

It was desperate, and attempted to distract them with the power of the hive mind.

To block out the screeching in his head, Artos began whispering to himself.

"Though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for His will guides me. Though the alien and impure surround me I will not falter, for His arm strengthens me. Though all the hordes of hell thirst for my soul, it is they who will flee, for His power glorifies me. He has sanctified me, made me clean and forged me in war's furnace. With Him in my heart, and my brothers beside me, I will not fail."
With it, my world
To dust returning

Kallidor

Laran had observed the behaviour of his brothers, Rant and Artos, and saw, even through the mental defences they had erected, that they were deeply disturbed by the Tyranids. Now they actually had the beasts in sight he had expected he might feel something himself. His memories of the bio-monstrosities he had faught during the progress of Hive Fleet Behemoth were like mirror shards twirling through his mind; at times stark and clear and at others dull and twisted. In any case he felt nothing. True, he did revile the creatures for their sheer alienness but there was no personal hatred as with his fellow Deathwatch.

If truth be told it troubled him. The waking visions he had of the dark figure, the words it proclaimed, that provoked passionate emotions and many times he had caught himself staring into the middle distance, arguing with imaginary oppoents or even battling enemies. His thoughts often crept back to such violent, omnipotent fantasies. Whilst he was a Prophet, who faught in the name of holy Hatred, practically worshipped by his chapter as an aspect of the Emperor these delusions of carnage were simply not right.

The roar of bike engines was distant and he could hear the far off calls of the Deathwatch, the snarls of the Tyranids, the hiss of their weapons but he was surrounded by a sea of quietude, this devastated world felt peaceful as if it were sleeping and its calm breaths were washing over him. He watched his brothers and for an instant he saw himself as a child, running with his blood brotehr while their father watched patiently from a distance enjoying the sight of his sons. The whole scene felt so familiar and at the same time so remote as if somehow he was recalling someone elses memories. And then it was gone, the feelings gone, the face of his-, he could not recall, a man he felt sure. Never mind. He could not just sit hear well his brotehrs clashed with the Tyranids, risking their lives on this fools errand.

He gunned the engine and raced towards the stumbling brood. It was said that the Prophets were made from the Seed of the Great Khan and in that moment Laran believed it such was the thrill he had from racing across the open ground. He circled around at a distance using only sonic blasts from the amplifier in the muzzle of his helmet, distracting the lumbering Tyranids while his brotehrs drew in with more suitable armaments, the Speeder whoosing low over his head as it came in for another pass.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Necris

+Mission Time 00:40+

He moved like a shadow, he'd closed with the isolated warrior so close that had his suit not been sealed he could have smelled the beast's rich sickly smell, levelling his bolter he took aim and waited, Hunrik did another pass as he fired Demos squeezed the trigger sending a spray of the web rounds at the lone warrior using the heavy fire from Hunrik's assault cannon to mask his own shots. The rounds exploded over the warriors body like the old marker rounds used to designate prey on his home world, where the rounds impacted the resin hardened like steel, he fired again as Rant opened fire the rounds tearing up the ground near by.

"Check your fire Rant, that's twice you've come close to one of us now."

The Warrior was struggling now, letting out a strange warbled screeching cry that was alerting it's brethren to it's plight. Demos watched as the warriors surged and growled standing from his cover he drew his bolt pistol in his off hand.

"Live fire authorized kill the brood but leave the target alive."

He fired into the closest while he also continue to fire the web rounds at the target warrior, continuing to tangle it up, Pelesus roared in on his bike bolters firing into the target while he expertly fired a bolt pistol as he made a pass, the target Warrior collapsed unable to move thrashing as it struggled to break free, from the opposite side the sonic bursts from Laran had become more vicious tearing into the rest of the warriors, the Front of the Crusader opened and the rest stormed forward eager for kills, he moved from his cover ignoring the warriors as the other dealt death and moved to the felled warrior, it snapped at him with it's maw so he shot it in the face with a web round before kicking it sharply in the face, he fixed the homing beacon he carried to the web resin and signalled the fleet above, stepping back he averted his eyes and the teleport aura burned, and turned his attention back to the rest of the hoard watching as his task force went about their business.

Swarbie

Artos ran forward, picking a target as he went.

There. A warrior, with a number of holes in its thorax and a mangled secondary arm showing its encounter with the Crusader's assault cannons.

The beast hissed as he closed with it, drawing his knife.

Artos leaped forwards, rolling under the warrior's sweeping talons. He dived between its legs with his knife raised, severing the exposed tendons of its right leg.

The tyranid screamed as it was forced into a kneeling position. Its tail swept around with enough force to knock Artos to the ground. He swiftly moved to one side as the warrior's talons embedded themselves in the ground, right where he had been moments before.

Artos scrambled backwards, then kicked up at the beast's face, fracturing its lower jaw and removing a few of its teeth. The warrior suddenly slumped, landing on top of him and almost crushing him with its weight.

He couldn't move, and he could feel the tyranid's talons slamming against his armour. It was only a matter of time before the beast skewered him.

Thinking quickly, Artos sliced his knife into the warrior's left eye. It reared, screeching, and he jumped up. Reversing his grip on the blade, he ducked low, cutting through the exposed joints on the warrior's primary limbs. His knife became wedged in the beast's exoskeleton.

Undaunted, Artos slammed his palm into the side of the warrior's head. As it tipped forward, he jumped on its back and wrapped his arm around its neck. He pulled tighter, and tighter; until finally the tyranid's neck shattered.

Artos pulled his knife out of the corpse and ran towards the other tyranids.   
With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

+Mission Time 00:41+

Demos stood and watched Artos his method of attack was sloppy, almost clumsy, insisting on fighting a warrior with only a knife even an injured one such as the one he'd just killed, it reeked of recklessness and he frowned at the young pups foolishness.

When this was over he resolved to spend time with Artos training him with a sword, the pup showed skill with a blade he should use a true instrument of war not a toy like he was now.

He turned his attention away from the battle as the pair of assault cannons cleaved through the Tyranid mass checking the load of his bolter, three quarters full, his frown deepened Rant had been right the web rounds were not as effective as he would have liked but they would be enough en mass for the smaller prey they were to hunt, but the biggest targets would need more than just web rounds.

His helm display lip up.

+Secure feed+

He activated it.

"Demos, word is the first capture of the day is yours, I congratulate you."

"Thank you G'Huk, how goes your own hunt?"

"We almost had a Broodlord but we lost it in the waste lines of the hive."

"How are you finding the web rounds?"

"I'm not convinced of their usefulness, the web cannons though I am more pleased with."

"I've yet to see they usefulness also."

"In the name of sportsmanship I just ordered an orbital sweep they should be covering your location in twenty minutes I've ordered the results forwarded to your command rhino."

"Thank you G'Huk."

"Well it would not be sporting to have an advantage over you."

"I'll not mention the Tempest I have at my disposal then."

"You have a Tempest?"

"Brother Hunrik's personal possessions, a relic of his lost chapter I believe."

"You lucky dog."

"Good hunting old friend."

The line went dead and he turned his attention back to the battle as it entered it's end phase he nodded in satisfaction and turned from it heading back to his bike.

"All units, finish up and regroup we await the results of an orbital survey Brother G'Huk had ordered."

Necris

+Mission Time 00:57+

Demos watched from the seat of his bike as the final killings took place, he revved the engine turning the bike round he looked over his shoulder barking orders.

"Finish up we have more work to do."

He keyed his vox and spoke as he pulled the bike away.

"Peleus you're in command, bring the task force back to the drop site."

He gunned the engine turning it back towards the drop site pulling away he fired the engine pushing the machine hard, he'd always loved the sensation of speed and often wondered if they gene seed had come from the White Scars the knowledge had been lost to their chapter, he covered the distance quickly pulling up in the compound looking up as a sonic boom echoed overhead, dismounting he climbed into the command rhino waiting for the hatch to lock shut he pulled his helm free and sat before the command terminal.

The uplink connected as he was preparing the terminal and he watched the read out data he scanned the map overviews and a smile crossed his face as he picked up several pockets, the closest just beyond Hunrik's sweeps the largest closer to the hive, he devised his plan.

two teams one led by himself the other led by Peleus, he'd take Artos, Rant, Laran and Simon, Peleus would command Hunrik, Martell, Corvin and Kraven. Peleus would head to the closest target engage the Tyranids there, he zoomed the red image and frowned, Peleus would need a rhino and the Land Raider the group were carnifexes he sent the command instructions to one of the waiting Rhino's sending it to the target. He sent his instructions to Peleus then to the rest of the force once Peleus had confirmed them.

He changed views to his own target zone seeing nothing on the visual link, he switched views to a thermal reading and spotted his targets, Ravenors, sitting back in the chair he summoned those of his team to him at the drop site.

Inquisitor Ranovack

Peleus sent an acknoledgement to Demos then took a look at the group that his team were to capture ad where each of his team were. He gave a moments pause before deciding on the approapriate cause  of action.
"Brother Hunrik please engage the targets on the southern flank of the enemy group in 4 runs and then give support where necessary. Focus on the hard targets. If we can incapasitate the carnifexs before we get to close it will save time. Brothers martell and Kraven please engage the north flank with the land raider. captain you're with me we will move in after brother Hunrik has completed his atttck runs and capture one of the beasts. Naturally we shall dispose of the others"
After he received affermatives from his brothers saying they were in position to go he radioed Hunrik,
'Go'
The Tempest howled over head 4 times spraying the Emporers wrath each time. When withdrew for the last time Peleus ingaged his jump pack as he signelled for Corvin to move forward. He was pleased to see that the land raider had killed 1 of the creatures on the Northern flank and the remaing one was being swiftly dispatched by bolt shell and Assault cannon round.
He returned his attention his targets and made a note to get Hunrik a talon of his finest aechean wine when they got back to the Xenos Bane.
Out of the 2 Carnifex in the southern half 1 on the floor its limbs flailing the other was aiming its damaged bioweapon at where Hunriks  tempest was 3 seconds earlier. He aimed his bolter at the remaining creature as he ordered the rhino to capture the downed beast.

As he swooped down on the last one he fired bolt after bolt into the back of its skull. He saw the explosions as his and corvins bolts struck home.  As his altometer told him that he was 15 meters from the ground he went into a dive with his claws staight ahead of him. The crackling claws hit the point where his shells had weakend the beasts carapace and ripped straight though peircing its brain. for good measure he shot the rest of his magasine into the fleshy thing on the back of the creatures neck. It crumpled. Between getting its face blown of by Corvins bolts and having its brains destroyed it gave up it's tenous grasp on concoiusness.
"good shooting Captain, Brothers report?"
He was gratified to hear that the carnifex were alll dead apart from the one in the Rhino which was alive but under control. He gave Demos a quick sitrep as his team reorged in the centre of the group of dead Xenos
though i fly through the valley of death i shall fear no evil for i am at 50,000 feet and climing

Necris

Demos paused

"Confirmed attach the teleport homer and send the beast to the fleet."

He looked over the landscape before him, nothing just dust and small outcrops of foliage the dust looked disturbed from some recent activity, he turned to the others.

"We need a distraction, to lure them up to the surface."

Artos looked at him even behind the Helm he could see the nervous look on the younger marines face.

"I'll do it, just be ready with the webbers."

He passed Artos his bolter loaded with web rounds and drew his powersword.

"Simon circle round to that outcrop over there, Laran that one there Rant there."

He used the sword to point at three outcrops setting up four points of attack so that all angles could be covered by at least two of them so when the Ravenors attacked he'd stand a better chance of fending them off.

"Artos remain here, the rest of you move."

Following his orders they moved into position leaving himself and Artos standing together, he drew his bone knife reversing it in his grip he strode down the slope into the well the dust had been disturbed the texture of the dust changed as he stepped from one to another this dust was loose like sand he sank into it half way up his shins, striding out he activated the power field of the sword and walked to the centre turning slowly as something moved underfoot.

"Be ready."

The ground behind him exploded upwards in a shower of dust and harder stone as one of the tyranids leapt from the ground, he heard gun fire his enhanced senses telling him the shots were coming from Rant, he'd reacted instantly the first reeled from him as another exploded from the ground leaping directly at him, his blade flashed out blocking the two scything claws coming at him, his bone dagger flashed cutting a long thin line across it's abdomen the Ravenor slashed at him again and this time his sword connected with the arm behind the deadly bioweapon severing it from the arm to spin harmlessly over his shoulder the tyranid dived away digging its self into the dust and scurrying away, he turned blade slashing out leaving a red trail it sent a head tumbling through the air. One dropped beside him web fluid hardening across it's body even as it tried to dig into the dust, he dropped his weapon grabbing the tail he hauled on it shouting out.

"Simon get down here and help me!"

He pulled struggling against the strength of the thing, Simon was at his side pulling on the tail the dragged it back out.

"To the harder ground pull it, Rant go live cover us Artos keep hitting it with web rounds."

Kallidor

"Deactivate audio-senses Brothers!"

Laran did not give them long to react and he was in front of the squirming Tyranid, jaws almost as big as his torso slavering inches away. As it opened its mouth to snap at him, Laran grabbed an upper and lower canine, one cutting deep into the palm of his hand, right through his gauntlet as if it were paper. He grunted in pain but kept his grip, his other hand more secure at the base of the lower canine. Before the Ravenor could take his head off he leant around and blasted a scream of sonic force strait down its ear. The shimmering sound wave passed over his comrades and he did not know if they had had time to react to his warning.

The Ravenor screached in pain and bucked, hitting Laran square in the chest with its plough shaped head. It felt like hed been shot with an anvil and he was sent flying backwards. As the Tyranid had reared up it had lost traction on the ground and his two fellow Deathwatch practically ran with the thing several metres almost slipping on to their backsides. Web rounds splattered over its withered forearmsand another gob of the rapidly hardening web caught it over one side of the face.

Still struggling like a bull grox in must the Ravenor was desperately trying  to break free, but near deafened and being plastererd with web rounds it was having a hard time of it. Laran let out a snort of laughter as he picked himself up and ran back to aide his Brothers. After all the constant warfare, wrestling with Tyranids almost seemed like a holiday and in any case he was determined to enjoy this mission as such for as long as he could.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Necris

The beast reeling and crippled he tore the teleport homer from Simon's belt and drove it into a weeping wound in it's torso a moment later the beast had vanished leaving them standing. Demos laughed his voice echoing in the emptiness as he collected up his sword.

"Dammed be if my brothers back on Haemos will not enjoy the tale of wrestling with Ravenors on this forsaken rock."

He clapped Laran and Simon on the shoulders as the climbed back up to join the other two he clapped Artos on the shoulder.

"Fine work lad."

As Rant joined them he clapped him on both shoulders.

"Good shooting brother, you truly are a fine shot."

He grouped them together and gestured towards the towering ruins of the city.

"Do you feel up to more of a hunt?"

Kallidor

"Just say the word Brother and I will be right beside you, I only wish these Tyranids were not weakened, it would be good to test my strength against them in an even contest."

Laran looked towards the jagged spires of the distant hive and imagined the horrors the fated inhabitants must have seen. Something primitive within him hungered for such knowledge, to devour the brains of the fallen to know their memories, to share in their strength. Every Prophet knew comfort in the fact that some part of him would live on forever in those marines that came after him, not just through his Gene-Seed but his very thoughts. It was customary for neophytes to consume a portion of the prgenitor's brain matter to preserve his memories and to learn from his experience. A Prophet never truly died and it irked Laran to think that not only had this world and its people been obliterated but they might suffer the duel death of being erased from memory. A Prophet was his memories and to lose them was inconceivable.

Laran strained forward, like a dog eager to be released and he let loose with a howl that rustled and squawked with interference as the sonic amplifier in the muzzle of his helmet struggled to articulate his feelings into a killing sound. He snapped his head round, the eyes of his helmet narrowing to tiny points of ableful orange light. "Come my Brothers, let us resume the hunt for I hunger for Tyranid flesh!"
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!