Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Deathwatch Reborn:- Georme Operation

Started by Necris, December 09, 2009, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

He watched Laran's display oddly disturbed by it, his chapter ha been formed to fight off the threat posed by the flawless host and this display reminded him of their noise marines, his concerns were pushed aside as a secure feed linked to his helm, before answering it he spoke to the squad.

"Rant, Artos, Laran scout ahead secure an entry point, I have a need for a lictor or brood lord."

He looked to Simon not forgetting him.

"Secure the vehicles, move the rhino closer to the hive but this will be a foot slog from here."

The squad nodded in agreement and headed off to their allotted tasks once he was alone he spoke into the vox

"I am alone, speak."
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Kallidor

Laran looked back briefly and could tell by the Captain's stance that he was receiving communications. His stance was alert for danger but passive, and the slightest tilt of his head was a sunconscious act of listening. He wondered who the Captain was talking to.

Several hundred metres away now Laran saw his fellow Deathwatch as distant shapes but they vanished from his sight. For the first time in a long while he felt truly alone and for just a moment he allowed himself to relax. He wanted to remove his helmet to close his eyes and lean his head back and take a deep breath without his rebreather filering the air. It wasn't that a helmet dulled the senses, far from it, but it seemed to Laran that some subtle flavour was lost, a hint of the world around him that only his own senses could register. It could not be done under the circumstances.

A Lictor was a hunter of hunters and a master of deception, able to lure in prey which believed they were stalking it. The trick then was to not to thin like a predator but to think like prey to be aware of the environment in the way prey would be, looking for routes of escape, to maintain the highest level of visibility. To expose one's self in the manner of prey was the only way to hunt a Lictor. A Lictor relied on a hunter acting like a hunter, trying to remain concealed, quiet, calm.

Laran, hopped up a few tumbled down pillars, the last remnants of some ancient wall that were purple and green with chemical erosion. They were pockmarked and pitted but the stone was still strong after tens of thousands of years exposed to the heavy industry of the hive. Climbing swiftly he topped the wall and stood in full view and crunched along the top with little concern. The foot of the hive dug into the silty ash and sand like gigantic tree roots but in areas it pooled in, tell-tale signs of a pitfall, perhaps and entrance into a pipe or vent that might allow the Deathwatch access to the hive. He reported his findings and moved on and two hundred metres to his right, ten degrees from his position there was a flicker of movement. Laran smiled, the hunt was on.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Swarbie

"It will attack from behind," Artos said calmly.

"What?" asked Rant.

"The lictor. One is stalking us."

"I concur, brother," said Laran. "I have spotted movement."

"Where?" asked Artos.

"Off to the right. It's closing in."

"Then there are two. There are signs behind and to the left. I suggest we spread out. Five meters between each of us. Rant, notify Captain Demos that we have located the next target."

Rant nodded. They spread out. From the shadows, the lictors watched. 
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

He contemplated simply sending a vox signal to the commander, even something as simple as a location marker, but there was a better and far more efficient way to convey what mattered.

"External address," Rant subvocalised, at the same time making sure his vox was active. Something was itching at the base of his brain but he ignored it.

A rune flicked on at the top of his helmet display, informing him that his armour's external vox-casters were active.

This was a huge gambit but it was by far the most efficient course of action. If the Lictors came to them, then the kill-team could bypass the chore of actually looking for them; however, if this went wrong, Rant might kill his brothers.

He took the chance.

"Commander," he stated, the noise passing not only through the vox but out into the open, drawing a startled glare from Artos as something shifted in the gloom.

"What is it?" Demos asked, but Rant didn't answer. Deactivating his external address with a thought, Rant raised his bolter at the very instant that one of the Lictors burst out from behind the kill-team, leaping down from a stout pillar and pouncing at the source of the unexpected noise. Taking aim, Rant pulled the trigger and fired, catching the Lictor in the flank and sending it reeling. A strangled chittering screech escaped it as it backed away slightly, turning to cover its injury, its eyes locking with Rant's.

The thing was hideous. Slanted yellow eyes stared out from an alien face festooned with long, worm-like feeder tendrils, hanging loosely from a kite-shaped maw that may as well have been equipped with a beak, or bone-cracking jaws. Its lower pair of arms were vaguely humanoid, the fingers tipped with razor-sharp claws for rending flesh and ascending sheer surfaces, while its upper arms were equipped with enormous scything talons, each as long as the beast itself was tall, and lined with sharp spikes at regular intervals to help it traverse uneven terrain such as the gutted hive. A thick tail trailed behind it, tipped with a venomous stinger, and it squatted on sturdy double-jointed legs that could propel it forward at a frightening speed.

In an instant the Lictor had recovered, and it pounced again. Rant wasted no time and blasted at its left razor claw, severing it at the elbow and causing it to falter in mid-air. It fell just shy of Rant as he took two steps backwards. Black ichor drooled from the stump of its arm, but Rant's surprise tactic had only worked once and it was now wary. A scything talon stabbed out, glancing Rant's pauldron, but although it caused no lasting damage, the force of the blow was enough to knock Rant back and send him reeling. Instinctively Rant pulled the trigger on his bolter one-handed, but he missed completely, the bolter shell streaking up into the darkness.

And then it was on top of him, bowling him over with the force of its charge. Rant dropped his bolter and fell down against the hard floor of the hive. The Lictor embedded its scything talons in the floor as its one good razor claw pinned him down, clamping firmly around his abdomen.

"Brother Rant, report!" Demos shouted in his ear, clearly alarmed by the sound of fighting. Laran and Artos were already busy with the other Lictor, but Rant was on his own, pinned, and in danger.

"Lictor presence. Containing now," Rant answered calmly even as the Lictor's feeder tendrills lashed out at his helmet, filling his entire field of vision with the Lictor's disgusting maw.

The kill-team had to capture a Lictor, so he couldn't risk killing it, but at the same time it would kill him first if he didn't react soon. And although his arms were free, his bolter was some distance away so he couldn't simply shoot it.

Grasping its feeder tendrils firmly in his right hand, Rant activated his electoo inductor and sent a powerful electric charge coursing through the most vulnerable part of the Lictor's anatomy. It shrieked and its claws tightened by reflex, threatening to breach his armour and expose him to the life-eater in the air, but a second later it relented, trying to get away from Rant, but he refused to let go and with a wet tearing noise Rant fell away from the Lictor, a cluster of feeder tendrils in his grasp, still twitching weakly as gore dribbled from the Lictor's ravaged maw.

Tossing the feeder tendrils aside and sweeping up his bolter, Rant took aim at the Lictor, sluggish now after the electrical attack. Pulling the trigger twice more, he claimed one of the beast's gigantic scything talons and blasted a chunk of meat out of its right leg. It fell heavily, screeching weakly, and helpless as it was, Rant wasted no time in destroying the Lictor's other arms and crippling its remaining leg.

"Target crippled," Rant voxed, "awaiting recovery."

Swarbie

"Rant! Duck!" yelled Artos, as the second lictor hurtled out of the shadows. Rant rolled under the creature's slashing talons.

Artos ran forward, bulldozing into the lictor's side. His weight knocked it badly off balance. Laran crashed into the beast's other side, howling his fury. The lictor's tail flicked up, the large barb aiming for the weak elbow joint in Artos' armour. He knocked it aside, then grabbed it and pulled it out, taking the bulging venom-sac on the end of the lictor's tail with it.

Rant stood up and began firing his bolter, aiming carefully so as not to hit his brothers. The lictor fell to the ground, its skull destroyed by the explosive rounds.

"Well," said Artos, wiping ichor from his shoulder pauldron,"that was easier than I remembered."

"Really?" asked Laran.

"Yes. Fighting these horrors in power armour is far easier than in scout armour."

Artos knelt down to examine the remains of the creature. He hissed with disgust, then rose. He walked over to check on the lictor Rant had disabled, crushing the remnants of the dead lictor's skull under his armoured foot as he went.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

Demos strode from the ruins powersword steaming with dark blood he sheathed it slowly as he tossed the teleport homer to Rant.

"You bagged it Brother."

He knelt by the dead one looking over the creature carefully he rolled it over placing his bolter to one side he probed his fingers into the creatures torso pulling it apart in wet clumps, while Rant fixed the homer and sent the crippled creature on it's way. Artos moved up behind him looking over his shoulder as Demos continued to mutilate the corpse not in anger but methodically dissecting the beast with his armoured hands. He paused finally pulling a fleshy organ from the torso holding it in his hands he stood and spoke.

"Confirmed, I found one in a Lictor."

He dropped the organ to the ground and gestured to it.

"This is what's keeping them alive an as yet encountered organ, it seems to work in a similar way to our Oolitic Kidney. Command wants us to continue our mission to confirm this but from the creatures we've captured so far it seems likely that this is the key."

He stood on the organ crushing it.

"All units rendezvous at the Hive gates, twenty minutes."

He stooped collected his bolter and turned looking at the hive ruins.

"There is a broodlord in there, aerial observations confirmed it and worse." 

Necris

++Mission Time 12:58++
The rest of the task force returned to his position even Hunrik had landed his land speeder and stood amongst them his swift vehicle unsuited to the next phase of their operation, standing at the gates of the vast hive their task looked immense, the ruins were still crumbling where the Tyranids had attacked their bio weapons eating away at the masonry only to be killed off by the virus bomb, yet their damage had been done they'd served to weaken the structures of the buildings closest to the gates.

"Auspexes  up front, everyone on live ammunition."

He stepped forward looking up into the hive as the darkness of night was closing in.

"Switch to low light and internal vox only. I don't want any surprises creeping up on us."

His vision changed with an impulse from him and he looked around again the world brought into sharp relief despite the green tint to the world he strode off leading the way. They moved through the Hive checking the rubble and remains passing the detritus that could only have been the massed numbers of decomposing gaunt genomes, something large was moving around the hive, the sounds of buildings collapsing and the angry screeching calls echoing through, even Demos himself was unnerved by the sound the intensity of it and the fury implied behind it but he pushed on regardless should the encounter the beast they would take it down like any other.

Artos snapped to his right and the task force turned as one, brought into sharp relief was the hulking shape of a massive genestealer it's eyes narrowed at them from it's high position over looking them.

"Abomination."

Hissed the young marine as his finger tightened on his trigger.

"Hold your fire Artos, let's see if it's seen us, Martel, Simon move to the left, Pelesus, Artos right ghost our movements as the rest of us move up the centre."

He set off leading the way at a quick stride his eyes constantly on the crouching stealer lord, noting as it slid from it's observing position vanishing behind a crumbled hab block.

"Be alert, Hunrik, Rant break ranks and widen the sweep stay ahead of the flanking units."

He watched as the two marines moved wider opening the formation more, it put them all at greater risk but it would also provide an obvious target, that they were Deathwatch selected above all others to carry out this task meant they could accept the risk.

"Keep your eye sharp for signs of a lair."

He reached the Broodlords first position a few steps before his brothers and paused looking at the dusty ground.

"Hold position, Artos, Rant attend me."

He stood looking at the ground around him; it was littered in markings and tracks, tracks which any capable
hunter could follow but there were other interesting markings as the other two joined him he closed the vox link to all but them.

"You have both hunted broodlords in the past correct?"

Both affirmed by giving curt nods of their heads

"Notice anything about these tracks?"

They both looked over his shoulder at the markings he gestured too, a set of tracks a sharply detailed hoof the other a long line of ground up dust as deep as the other, Rant spoke first.

"Big."

"And injured."

Artos finished, Demos nodded as he looked round at them both.

"Follow the tracks see where it went."

Swarbie

Artos and Rant followed the tracks, Artos crouching low to the ground while Rant covered him.

"More tracks intersect here, brother," said Artos.

"New?" asked Rant.

"Most of these are a few days old, but look; here, and here," Artos said, his finger jabbing towards clear, distinct prints, "These are fresh. The broodlord has around three genestealers accompanying it, all uninjured. We will have to be more careful from here on."

Still following the tracks, they moved deeper into the ruins.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

Demos followed with the rest of the force moving deeper into the ruins he gathered them all in close following on from Rant and Artos' lead as they moved deeper into the long dead city, for three hours they stalked the dust strewn streets pausing to check their bearings before moving on.

"I do not like this, it is becoming more apparent that some of the smaller species survive the virus bombing."

Demos nodded to Pelesus as the Pack leader moved to his side, he'd also noted the slowly increasing number of tracks heading in the direction they were heading.

"Any suggestions?"

The force halted at the question Rant spoke.

"Sheltered, stealers smarter than rest."

"So we're looking for a nest, when we find it extermination is the priority we only capture the lord if we are able to."

He gestured for the force to move on heading for a great rend in a service duct for the city's primary power plant.

Necris

Inside the tunnel was cold the thermometer in his suit told him that the temperature had dropped to near freezing as cold air blasted past them as they pushed on unheeded by the wind, a short distance on a second rend opened into a catacomb of service ducts, he ducked down between Rant and Artos and groaned.

"Like a dammed space hulk."

He nodded and the two pushed on slipping through the gap they moved off into the darkness, Demos followed taking the centre as they moved down the sides of the narrowing service tunnel.

"I want a clear sweep, make sure nothing is behind us."

He received a double click of confirmation.

Koval

The tunnel eventually became narrower and narrower, and soon the Deathwatch found themselves moving more slowly, struggling with the uncomfortably close walls. Evidently, the tunnel had been designed for humans to move in single file, maybe double file at a stretch; it had not been built with Space Marines in mind, and Rant was moving almost sideways to avoid scraping his pauldrons against the tunnel walls. The last thing the kill-team needed was for an unwanted disturbance to alert an entire brood to their presence, especially given the lack of space.

To Rant, it seemed like the perfect place for a genestealer ambush. They could easily tear open a wall or the ceiling, or rip out a chunk of the floor, to attack from anywhere and take the kill-team entirely by surprise.

It happened not long after the kill-team had passed another tunnel, branching off to the left of their own.

"Brothers," Artos cautioned softly from the front. "That tunnel we passed. It's beginning to worry me."

"Why?" Rant asked simply, already convinced that he wouldn't like the answer.

"Listen."

The Deathwatch paused, and Rant became aware of a rhythmic clattering noise behind him, the noise of claws upon the metal wall of the tunnels. The noise was distant, and carried along mostly as faint echoes, but it was unmistakably the sound of genestealers moving somewhere in the network of tunnels.

"Contact," Rant concluded. "Too soon."

"Brother Rant, I want you to double back and check that tunnel," Demos ordered. "Inform me immediately if there are any breaches or openings, or any signs of genestealer presence. Double back as soon as we are out of auspex range, I don't want to leave you behind."

Clicking his acknowledgement, Rant doubled back carefully and cautiously, approaching the tunnel opening almost at a crawl, his bolter ready as he sprang out silently and took aim down the tunnel, holding his stance for several tense seconds until Rant concluded that he was safe to proceed.

Throwing one last cautious glance at both the entry tunnel and in Demos' direction, Rant edged down the new tunnel, his gaze constantly flitting between the walls, the ceiling, and the darkness straight ahead as his auto senses compensated for the total absence of natural light. Nothing sprang out at him, nothing indicating that genestealers had been anywhere near here.

Eventually, after an indeterminable length of time passing through the tunnel, Rant noted that the two blips on his auspex representing Demos and Artos were on the bottom right edge of the screen, about to disappear.

"Nothing, Commander," Rant reported. "Preparing to double back. Over."

"Understood, brother," Demos answered. "Brother Artos and I have had a similar lack of success so far. Genestealers are an elusive breed. We need to --"

Rant ignored Demos' last remark as a new blip appeared on his auspex screen, right at the top of the display. Something was coming directly at him.

Something inhumanly fast.

"Contact," Rant uttered forcefully. Whether or not he'd cut Demos off, he didn't know.

Something itched in the base of his brain and Rant's thoughts were suddenly filling up with innumerable gaping maws, opening wide to devour everything in sight. He closed his eyes, focusing instead on symbols of piety and devotion, evoking the symbol of the Opus Machina in his mind's eye, but the techniques he had used to still his mind before his memories took over were no longer working and Rant seized up, his every thought dissolving into terror mixed with towering rage.

The screech of tearing metal snapped Rant out of his reverie and he looked up at the source of the noise, bringing his bolter up a split-second too late.

Staring down at Rant like a god above an insect, its yellow eyes aglow with pure contempt, was a genestealer broodlord, hunched above the tunnel opening and glaring at the black-armoured Deathwatch veteran beneath it. Its vaguely humanoid face contrived to contort into a scowl as its mouth opened, inhaling the chill air with an angry hissing snarl. With a great heave it tore away more of the ceiling, before leaping over the hole to straddle it with all six limbs, leaning down in the same split-second to come face-to-face with Rant.

In that split-second, the memories of Morel's Reach unbound themselves and flooded back into Rant's unprepared mind in an unstoppable surge. The faces of every man and woman that ever died in the fighting at Morel's Reach filled his field of vision, and their screams deafened him as they died over and over again at the hands of Leviathan. He saw tanks and even giant Titans die, destroyed without remorse or hesitation by the unrelenting tyranid swarm. Giant creatures the size of buildings grappled with the iron gods that once guarded the Cult Mechanicus' forges, and tore out their nuclear hearts in a stunning display of brutality.

The Dominatrix entered his memories, a walking colossus of flesh and chitin standing tall and ominous, looming over the entire battlefield and radiating terror all around it. Even the largest of its attendant entourage were as nothing in its presence, and it was Kill-Team Zajdel's duty to eliminate it. Ten men against a veritable demigod, the terror of the tyranid hive mind incarnate upon the battlefield.

Two of them succeeded.

Some died even on the approach, crushed by ravening hive beasts of all shapes and sizes. Others, shot down on the ascent up the monstrosity's flank. Still more were destroyed by the symbiote creature atop the colossus' back, itself the other half of the gargantuan entity it rode, neither creature comprising the Dominatrix alone without the other to complete and complement it.

A brace of demolition charges had practically decapitated the behemoth on the spot, but while the beast perished, the psychic symbiote had given Rant and Zajdel something of a parting gift out of spite: in its death throes, the Dominatrix had lodged a splinter of the hive mind's power within their souls, and in the souls of every human being fighting on Morel's Reach.

And in its death, it raped their minds, from the most valiant hero down to the lowliest trooper, joining them all together, all one with each other as it led them all in a crescendo of psychic agony with its last dying breath.

And Rant screamed.

"Daemon! Die! Die! Die! Die!" he bellowed, firing two shots into the broodlord's shoulder and taking a faltering step backwards, his entire body quivering with rage. The broodlord screeched and recoiled, and Rant fired after it, but his shots flew wide and the broodlord raced away from the breach and into safety.

Struggling to control his own body as he shook with unrestrained fury, Rant stamped down and held a firm stance as the broodlord burst back into the tunnel, through the wall to his left, lunging as he raised his bolter and pulled the trigger.

---

When they found Rant, the Iron Hand was standing alone, staring at his bolter as he calmly reloaded it. Bolter shell casings were scattered all over the floor, and there were two breaches in the tunnel wall from where something vast had forced entry from outside. Black blood stained the walls and floor, but of the creature that shed it, there was no sign.

"Brother?" Demos ventured. Rant responded immediately, his head snapping up to stare at first Demos, then Artos behind him. He muttered something inaudible, a cross between a growl and a sharp breath filtering through the vox.

Bringing his bolter around almost too fast to see, Rant took two powerful steps forward, raising his bolter to shoulder level as he took aim at the two Deathwatch.

"Die," he repeated. "Die!"

He pulled the trigger.

Necris

Demos turned striking Artos to the ground as the bolter fired the rounds impacted against his armour and warning lights flashed in his helm warning him of the damage, his armour was artifice armour second only to that of terminator armour and the first blows from the bolter caused little more that shallow craters as the denser material his armour comprised of took the full force, the attack though did stagger him and he stepped back onto Artos chest plate holding him in place.

Despite the sudden attack and the force of the bolt shells impacting against his armour he returned fire two quick shots which forced Rant to check his fire, giving him the opportunity he needed discarding his gun entirely he bull rushed his fellow marine tackling him to the ground a back hand sending Rant's bolter from his grip even as Rant brought his electoo inductor round striking Demos' chest plate, the impact was like a lightning strike and electrical discharge danced over his armour sending alerts throughout his helm as his environmental seal around the fist failed.

Demos gasped he could feel the virus eating away at his skin even through the gap Rant had torn and growled in fury, he stood dragging Rant with him and hurling him of his shoulder in a feat of strength few marines could master rant crashed to the decking the noise loud and deafening in the stillness, rolling to his feet he went for his bolt pistol drawing and taking aim in a heart beat which was too long a time as the tunnel was illuminated by the blue arc of Demos' powersword.

The blade cut through the bolt pistol with ease cooking off the rounds within forcing Rant to come at him again with the electoo inductor, Demos side stepped his free hand snaking round driving his Bone dagger through Rant's bionic wrist and impaling his arm against the tunnel wall, the Done was a hardened razors edge a fang from one of the most dangerous predators of Haemos, the Basilisks of Haemos could make  land raider armour  look like paper when they attacked and the fangs were common weapons for his brothers many would replace their chainsword blades with the teeth from younger Basilisks, punching the blade through a bionic gave it little resistance.

His hammer like blow to Rant's helm snapped his neck to one side as Artos stood holding his other arm, Demos staggered back searching his belt.

"What has taken him?"

"I don't know, he is possessed of a murderous intent."

He found what he was looking for pulling the sealant from his belt he applied it to the breach sighing a breath of relief as his suit registered the seal and set about working on the most damaged areas of his armour the rest of the Deathwatch had arrived in time to see Demos pinning Rant to the wall of the tunnel.

"Secure those breaches, charges and live fire."

He stepped up to Rant forcing his head back against the wall.

"Iron Hand! Brother Sergeant Matej Rant, are you still in there! or has the battle lust taken you?"

Kallidor

"Iron Hand! Brother Sergeant Matej Rant, are you still in there! or has the battle lust taken you?"

Laran smiled and nodded to himself. It pleased him to think that his fellow Deathwatch had been consumed with battle rage, to a Prophet of Hatred such an act was like becoming the Emperor's Wrath fully and completely, divesting oneself of the extraneous human elements and becoming wrath in every way, even if that meant turning on your own brothers. What Rant was experiencing was holy communion in its purest form.

Other Chapters did not often see such displays in such an enlightened way. Laran moved past the other Deathwatch, taking a position next to one of the rents, Kah'Brosh held ready. He had fought along many other Chapters and he had seen some like the Blood Angels see what they termed amongst themselves the Black Rage, as a deadly curse. Laran could only imagine what it must be like to see through the eyes of a Primarch, feel his emotions, his actions as if they were your own, linked so intimately across the gulf of ten tousand years and legend. To feel as a god felt, how could anyone call that a curse?

"Movement!"
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Swarbie

Artos would have to hurry.
"Let me help him," he said to Demos. "I know how."

"Very well," replied Demos. "But if you can't, I will have to deal with him."

Nodding, Artos stepped up to Rant. Placing a hand on either side of Rant's helmet, he spoke. "Rant, it is Artos, your brother."

There was no response. Artos let Rant's head fall, then chanced upon an idea. He had learned many tricks during the invasion of Schindelgheist by the tyranids, and this was one. He moved his lips and tongue into position, then exhaled softly. The sound that issued from his mouth was an almost perfect imitation of a genestealer's clicking hiss. Rant's head snapped up.

"Daemon," he said.

"No," replied Artos. "It is Artos. Remember me. We are in the Deathwatch together. We cleanse worlds of the foul alien."

"Die," said Rant.

"I will not. If you cannot remember me, then remember this: Once, long ago, our Father, the God-Emperor of Mankind, strode the stars. He shined in His glory and power as He cleansed humanity of taint. He created us, his Space Marines, to watch over and protect the Imperium He created. He is within you, and me, and all our brothers. You are His son, and His hold on you goes deeper than whatever grips you now, be it fear, rage or madness.

"I was once like you are now, Rant. I could not remember my brothers, I tried to kill them. I- I succeeded, twice. But I found a way to overcome my rage. Deep within me was a memory. I lived through that memory. I saw Him, Rant. I saw our Emperor! I saw His Son, Sanguinius, who I am descended from by the virtue of my Chapter. You have these memories too, Rant. Remember Him. Remember His Son, Ferrus Mannus, who you became like when you joined our brotherhood.

"They are your last hope, Rant. If you cannot remember them . . . then there is nothing but the darkness for you."

Artos stepped back. If he had been a normal man, no doubt he would have sunk to his knees and wept. He had not lied. From the knowledge gained by his Chapter, if Rant could not overcome this madness with faith, he could not overcome it at all.

Rant breathed heavily, his head once again lowered. He gasped out a single word.

"Brother."

With it, my world
To dust returning

Necris

Demos clapped Artos on the shoulder

"Good work Artos, you would make a fine Chaplain."

He stooped and collected the discarded weapons tearing Rant's magazine from his bolter.

"Watch him, any signs of regression shoot him I'd rather grant him the Emperors rest than put any more of us at risk."

He passed Rant's empty weapon to Artos

"Take his spare ammunition, he is to be unarmed until we need him."

He strode away taking a few steps to join the others as they secured the tunnel, he staggered his arm snaking out to support him, the virus was still eating away at his side where Rant had breached his armour, despite his superhuman body he was struggling to fight the effects off sweat had started to bead all over his body as his organic counter measures battled against the invasion of the virus, blood welled in his mouth from the effects and he wished he could open the grills in his helm and spit it from his mouth, pushing himself too his feet he strode on.

"We have their scent now, Move out and exterminate them all."