Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Report into the activities of Explorator-Magos Vaal Kryzak

Started by Kaled, December 09, 2009, 11:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 11, 2009, 02:51:32 PM
My other worry is that even thou 96-00 sounds unlikely, in practice the weilders of these weapons hit themselves every 20 swings, and given the terrorfying power of the weapon, it's a wonder any of them survive any of their fights. I think that rolling on the plasma pistol overheat table would be a better malfunction.
That's the bit of the rule I've never been happy with, but I couldn't use the risky actions rule so went with a close translation of the Dark Heresy rule instead.  Using the plasma overheat table is a good idea though, I'm going to try that in the next game I use the weapon - it's still dangerous to use, but makes it less surprising that the wielder has any limbs left.

EDIT:
In response to a question in another thread, these are the rules I came up with for another weapon based on a piece of kit from Dark Heresy.

Shock Blaster

Capable of discharging a blast of electro-magnetic energy, the primarily purpose of the Shock Blaster is to disrupt the control systems of a rogue or malfunctioning servitor, but is also capable of overloading a human's nervous system causing temporary paralysis.

Type=Pistol Range=A Mode=Single Acc=-5 Dam=2D6-1 Shots=5 Rld=2 Wt=15

The Shock Blaster follows all rules for Shock Weapons.  I.e. A target hit by a shock weapon is stunned for one turn unless he passes a Toughness test, (no test is necessary if all of the damage was stopped by a force field).  A target can only be stunned once per turn in this way.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 11, 2009, 02:51:32 PMI still don't really buy that defect shot is humanly possible...
There are people out there who can catch arrows. Obviously, bullets are somewhat faster (3 to 10 times normally), but a human could at the right range, etc, etc, potentially get a blade in the way of a bullet - not as nearly as easily as the rules suggest, but possible. Of course, seeing the bullet in order to block it... bigger problem.

Personally, I sometimes use a modified version of Deflect Shot for a dodging rule. They get a number of dodge attempts equal to their speed, and if they character passes an initiative test (which, I figure should really be part of DS anyway), they get to try and roll under the hit roll. If they succeed, the shot counts as miss. Obviously, no chance of deflecting the shot back, and still an improbable skill - but a little more believable.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

Okay I buy arrows, but bullets and lasers? Lasers!?.

I suppose on the other hand that if anyone has the instant maths to observe a gun, and predict the trajectory, it would be some admech character like her, and she has the electrgrafts of the skill to put the 'sword' in place before/whilst the gun fires. I'd only allow it if there was LOS to the shooter and she was aware, and add in negative modifiers for darkness/fog etc.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 11, 2009, 03:18:34 PMOkay I buy arrows, but bullets and lasers? Lasers!?.
Lasers, no of course not. But while fast, a bullet does still take a humanly observable time to travel a distance. If you know where the bullet is ending up, and when the bullet is going to arrive (obviously, supersonic bullets complicate matters) you could get a blade in the way - provided of course, it didn't need to be moved that far, and still unlikely.

The issue is less the agility needed (which is admittedly soemwhat silly in its own right), but more the information that would be needed for that agility to be used in that fashion. And that information couldn't really be known.
It makes somewhat more sense as a force weapon only ability, because a psyker might have the skills to perform such feats.

Still, film and other stuff has promoted the idea of being able to cut bullets in half in mid air for years. Inquisitor is not a perfect recreation of reality.

QuoteI'd only allow it if there was LOS to the shooter and she was aware
Oh, I wouldn't allow anyone to use an ability like that if they weren't aware of the person - unless of course they're expressly precognitive, but... actually, that is an idea for a character - something a la Phillip K. Dick's "The Golden Man".

Might do that some time.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

How about the following adaptation of the plasma table for the energy blade?

An unmodified roll of 96-100 when attempting to hit or parry means the insubstantial blade has slipped unexpectedly or there has been a malfunction with the containment field.  The wielder must roll on the following table;
1-2 The character suffers a hit from the energy blade doing full (3D10+4) damage to a random location.
3-4 The character suffers a glancing hit from the energy blade doing 2D6+2 damage to a random location.
5-6 The safety cut-outs engage and protect the character from harm, however the energy blade cannot be re-activated for one turn.

I decided to drop the part about dropping the weapon - if she hits herself in the arm she's likely to drop it anyway.  Having your sword turn itself off in the middle of combat seemed roughly on a par with dropping your gun - probably worse as your opponent is a much better position to capitalise on the situation.

Inquisitor Cade

I'd make it 1, 2-3 and 4-6 instead, as you said, being left in close combat with no weapon is a pretty dim bright side. I don't quite get how the blade 'slips' does it disengage from the handel or something? I think that as a plasma weapon of imperial tech, it overheating/exploding ties it to the fluff well, and I get what it means.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 11, 2009, 05:32:03 PM
I don't quite get how the blade 'slips' does it disengage from the handel or something?
For that one you'd have to ask the author of the Dark Heresy book I took it from...

Inquisitor Cade

Well fair enough. I do think 1/2,3/4,5,6 is better than 1,2/3,4/5,6 though, a slip should hurt, but not be fatal. Let the safty stop it half the time, and leave a 'glancing' blow as more likely than a full on one.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

I'll give it a try in a few games and see how it works out.  I've used her a few times, but she hasn't had much opportunity to use her sword so I guess it'll be a while before I can say I've properly tested out the rules.

DapperAnarchist

If you have a blade that is light and cuts through anything - its far to easy to over reach and chop into your own toes...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Holiad

Actually I think it has more to do with the fact that a coherent blade is a very unnatural, and therefore unstable, shape for superheated plasma. Theoretically, very powerful electromagnetic fields could maintain such a construct, but it would only take a very small disruption of those fields to cause instability in the 'blade'. Therefore, I'd say a full strength hit should be somewhat unlikely, with the glancing blow a more reasonable interpretation, and less severe gamewise, while still being a significant risk. However, from a gameplay perspective I quite like the idea of the blade suddenly shutting down mid-battle, which has lots of potential for amusing drama as the wielder desperately tries to evade her enemy's attacks until her weapon recovers. A significant factor here would be whether she carries any form of spare close combat weapon for such an eventuality, which she probably would if it was at all common.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Kaled

In case anyone is interested, I've added a link in the original post to a picture of my Calculus-Logi (as well as starting a thread about him here).

Myriad

Whether you stab yourself would depend how practised you were with the weapon I guess.  The concept of the containment field leaking and causing low level hits seems a better one.  It occurs to me that superheated plasma tends to lose it's energy quite fast on contact, but this is probably a layer of complexity too many.

The problem of deflect shot is primarily one of anticipation - you can't be fast enough to deflect a bullet, but if you can see the gun, and have an idea where the shot will be...  Takes supreme coordination and no lack of knowledge, of course.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kaled

I've updated the original post to add Test Subject 728 (the deathspitter armed servitor) - I'll add the Skitarii-Provost and upcoming Tech-Acolyte and Biologis Tech-Adept as I figure them out.

For the deathspitter I've based the rules on Marco's suggestion of using a variation of his gauss flayer rules, but less accurate and with more damage.  I'll start with this profile I think, and then adjust it as necessary as I use it in a few games.  I'm not sure about the D10 damage - it seems a lot, but then I prefer the randomness of a D10 to something like D6+3 which'd be more likely to penetrate armour.  And I think making it range E and accuracy -10 will mean it's unlikely to hit too often...

Deathspitter

Type: Basic  Range: E  Mode: Single  Acc: -10  Dam:D10  Shots: 7  Rld: [2]  Wt: 45

A target hit by a Deathspitter takes damage to D3 locations.  Hits from Deathspitters treat all armour as if it were ablative.  The Deathspitter will grow 2 shots of ammunition (up to a maximum of 7) each turn it is not fired.

Firing the Deathspitter is a risky action; if failed, the deathspitter's instinct to kill overwhelms the wielder.  Until the character passes a Wp test in the end phase, he will fall under the GM's control in the same manner as a character possessed by a daemon weapon.

Inquisitor Cade

On the death spitter, I'm not convinced by the ability to destroy armour of the acid compaired to other weapons, I'd up the damage a bit, but take out the armour is as ablative rule. I agree that the randomness is certainly preferable to +X damage, so I'd say 2D10 damage.
The 'slugs' are supposed to be produced biologically. 2 a turn is far too fast, I'd say that 1 every few turns was using artistic licence, on the other hand however, the 'bag' on the gun is big, so I'd say it should have something like Shots 20, reload 4, so he'll be ably to shoot freely to begin with, but if he keeps shooting recklessly he'll not be able to sustane it.
*Insert token witticism*