Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Minor Radicals

Started by suliman, December 17, 2009, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suliman

Hi guys. Am thinking of creating a new radical warband and was wondering if any of the new minor radical groups were interesting. I know roughly about the obalationists and am particularly interested in the new extremist amalathians and the philosophy obsessed with warp prophecy . Sorry, can't find proper names! .Any signature equipment? Does anybody use any of these philosophies in either Inquisitor or Dark Hersey?

P.S would a Navigators psychic powers approximate a warp prophets?

TheNephew

I don't remember the Obalationists, but then I haven't read the Dark Magenta sourcebooks in a while - is that where they came from?

Such philosophies are used as character motivations constantly - there are a few signature bits of kit (like Daemonhammers for the Ordo Malleus) but generally such things are done by logic.
A Thorian, for example, might be pursuing a line of research along the path of Eldar soulstones, so they may be carrying a couple of bits of Eldar kit to show their attachment to them.
The various more Horusian/Xanthite philosophies may have the more obvious daemon and warp related accessories.
Generally it will vary from character to character, so just build your character concept and add a couple of personal touches that make sense.

Srixx

If your looking for some slightly off topic / colour philosophies this link http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Inquisition#Philosophy may be of use.  As for skills and equipment though TheNephew was on the money suggesting having a look at the sourcebooks and then adjusting gear and skills where you think it is appropriate for the character you are developing.

Nash

TheNephew,

What the OP refers to are the new minor Radical factions mentionned in the latest Dark Heresy supplement: The Radical's Handbook.

These "new" factions are:
  • The Libricar (zealots who aim to maintain the Imperium's status quo at any price since they believe the Imperium is "as it is" because that's how the Emperor wanted it. Amalathian extremists.)
  • The Ocularians (who seek knowledge of future events by any means...)
  • The Oblationists (who knowingly sacrifice their moral purity and use the warp against itself because they believe it to be the only way to fulfill their duty to the Emperor. Also, think no one but them should use Chaos...)
  • The Phaenonites (who think only mastery of the Warp --via technology in particular-- will save humanity from all its enemies. Xanthite splinter.)

=====

suliman,

To answer your questions:

No, there is no "signature equipment" mentionned in the entries for these factions.

I haven't used them yet (a bit too early after the release for that, just got my copy of the book last week!)

And, to answer your PS: the book mentions Aetheromancy as one of the methods of divination used by Ocularians, a method which is proscribed outside of the ranks of the Astropathica and Navis Nobilite... Hence, depending if what you mean by "warp prophet" is what I think you do (that an Ocularian Inquisitor could use a Navigator as a sort of oracle), yes it's possible.

______

I feel like mentionning however that your thread title is a bit misleading... "Minor Radicals" is quite different in meaning from "Minor Radical Factions" IMO.

The later denomination refers to radical philosophies which have fewer followers than the more famous ones. While the formulation you used makes me think more of Inquisitors who are only "borderline" radicals, not really embracing a radical philosophy but nevertheless using radical means from time to time (because its a necessary evil to achieve a specific goal. For example: banishing a daemon with the only thing able to do it, a possessed weapon, before destroying that weapon itself) or using only the less dangerous tools of a radical's arsenal (like, say, xenos weapons not using Warp-based technology)...

BTW, the book also has a chapter on "Radical Minoris", radical factions which have very few followers (maybe even only one) and thus haven't (yet?) been named (or may have been but their name isn't widely known)... These evidently must be differenciated from the other two mentionned above, so we have to be careful in the terminology we use!

In other words: Minor Radical Factions ≠ Radical Minoris ≠ minor Radicals

TheNephew

I've been meaning to borrow the DH books and read them through - there loos to be an enormous amount of fluff in there.
It's just seems like a lot of work, really...

Zephon

Some Thorian splinter factions are:
Horusians - they think a new Horus posessed by Chaos would be powerful enough to be the Emperor
Anomalian Believers - they are waiting for the Divine Avatar, trusting that the Emperor knows what to do without their help
Ardentites - believe that the Emperor mainfests himself through all of Mankind
Casophilians - work on 'reverse daemon summoning' to try to summon the Emperor back
Revivifactors - appear to be working on immortality, so that the Emperor, who isn't dead, can be preserved without the Golden Throne

I'll go and look up some of the other offshoots, which I can't remember the names of.

suliman

Thanks for your replies. Nash/The Nephew/3rd poster has got the gist of what I was after. Two qick questions:

1) Why do the Libricar what to maintain the current status quo? a lot has change since the Horus Heresey e.g Gorge Vandar ect. What makes this current point in time so special?

2) What are the mystrious means Ocularians use to tell the future?

N01H3r3

Quote from: suliman on December 23, 2009, 02:05:40 AM
Thanks for your replies. Nash/The Nephew/3rd poster has got the gist of what I was after. Two qick questions:

1) Why do the Libricar what to maintain the current status quo? a lot has change since the Horus Heresey e.g Gorge Vandar ect. What makes this current point in time so special?
They're an offshoot of the Amalathian faction, who believe that, as of the early 41st Millennium, the Imperium has finally stabilised and grown to a point where it was fulfilling what they believed to be the Emperor's vision (as celebrated at the Conclave of Mount Amalath, shortly after the end of the Macharian Crusade). The Amalathians believe that the Imperium is as it should be, and that the status quo should be maintained. The Libricar believe the same thing... only they're willing to do absolutely anything it takes in order to ensure the stability of the Imperium.

Quote2) What are the mystrious means Ocularians use to tell the future?
Anything and everything, so long as it produces results, though they're reticent about using Xenos techniques. There's a sidebar in The Radical's Handbook that briefly describes a number of different prophetic techniques, but they'll make use of any method that gives them the results they desire.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.