Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Spring Conclave 2010

Started by Kaled, December 21, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on January 31, 2010, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: Kaled on December 21, 2009, 12:40:52 PM
  • You can include any archetypes you like in your warband, but to reduce headaches for the GMs when it comes to 'balancing' the scenarios it is probably best that your principle player character is one that is not too contraversial (such as a powerful alien or a Space Marine).

Damnit!  ;D
I did think about your marine when writing that - it is only a guideline, and I don't really mind if you ignore it as I think most people are happy that you'll play the character in an intelligent way (and fantastic conversions always get a lot of leeway as far as I'm concerned!).  It's really there to discourage people from using warbands solely made up of very powerful characters who'll simply wipe the floor with their opponents - of course, players tempted to do that should also note that in some scenarios, force of arms will not win the day.

QuoteThis Ok?
Yep, I was going to ask people to post the details of the event on any forums where there might be interested members.  If you do that, could you post a link to the forum on here and also ask people to let me know if they plan to come along (just so I have some idea of how many player packs I need).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Kaled on February 01, 2010, 07:18:52 AM
It's really there to discourage people from using warbands solely made up of very powerful characters who'll simply wipe the floor with their opponents - of course, players tempted to do that should also note that in some scenarios, force of arms will not win the day.

hence playing him as a diplomat; a slight edge when it comes to intimidating people :D
he's also technically unarmed (it's a relic! he's not gonna draw that sword unless he really needs to!)

anyone with powerful characters needs to be wary of how they play; GM is God and should encourage characterful actions and punish OOC ones :)
(i wasn't above having a lascannon armed marine wandering in to attack powergamers in my campaigns :D )
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Sounds like fun. I think I've got my own story for the day all ready already. (Fun with grammar!)
Marco's mentor, Inquisitor Byssus, is a rather manipulative type (who'll definitely have his own preference for a successor), who'll have sent Marco and his entourage to act in the interests of his choice of candidate. Whether Marco necessarily agrees with that choice...

On the note of powerful characters, although I may well not use her, I plan to bring Frost's model with me because Marco would almost certainly call in such an ally for an event of this importance.
She is certainly more formidable than most of my characters - but nowhere near being as powerful as a typical Space Marine.
We'll see how things go on the day - if I think she'd be too much, I won't use her. (Although, if I don't, it leaves the option for an account of what she was sent off to do instead in the RP section.)

Now, I have to follow this up with a question on Inq 2, not having ever read any more than the few snippets that make their way onto the forums. (I will admit that I've already nicked the new version of Blademaster though!)

Quote... for each degree of success the persuading character had in his Leadership test.
Based on what I know of Dark Heresy (never played it, unfortunately), I take it that a degree of success is a pass by a full 10 points?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Just to clarify, there is no problem with people bringing powerful characters.  If someone wants to bring a Mentor Legionaire, Adeptus Custodes or Necron Pariah as part of their warband, I'm not going to stop them.  However as a player's principle player character must play in every game, I don't want to end up in a situation where GMs don't want players to use their main character but the campaign calls for them to be there.  Thus the suggestion that the principle player character be one that isn't likely to give the GM a headache.

Also, in case you hadn't guessed, the last game will take place at the High Conclave so it would make sense if your principle player character is one who could feasibly be invited or somehow sneak himself in.  For example, an Inquisitor could hire an ork freebooter to do his dirty work in the run up to the High Conclave, but if that ork were to turn up at the Inquisitorial fortress then he'd be shot on sight and so the Inquisitor would be a much better principle player character than the ork.  On the other hand, a chaos magus could, by some arcane means, infiltrate the conclave and so would be a suitable principle player character.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 01, 2010, 01:00:40 PM
Based on what I know of Dark Heresy (never played it, unfortunately), I take it that a degree of success is a pass by a full 10 points?
Yes, I'll update the original post to state that.

greenstuff_gav

so, did anyone notice it's Salute day?  ::)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Ferran

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 02, 2010, 02:14:36 AM
so, did anyone notice it's Salute day?  ::)

1/365 chance, bound to happen eventually!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on February 01, 2010, 05:28:52 PMThus the suggestion that the principle player character be one that isn't likely to give the GM a headache.
Well, Frost isn't colossally powerful (she is still human*), but she wouldn't be as fair or logical a PPC as Inquisitor Skoll.

*As it is, I've probably got a character that's more of a threat in any given area - but Frost is formidable in most areas.

I'd quite like to get to use her, but that will depend somewhat on the will of the GM and the appropriateness of the scenario.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Chances are there will be games where the sides are not numerically equal, so you ought to find an opportunity to use Frost in a way that is appropriate and where she won't necessarily totally dominate the field.

MarcoSkoll

Excellent. Now I just have to go and finish her model.

... and for that matter, start the rest of them.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I've been doing some more planning for the event and have decided that there will be four games in the initial stage followed by the final scenario.  Robskib and I will be GMing all day, but if we get more than six players (and based on based experience I'm hoping there'll be 15-20 of us) then obviously we'll need more GMs.  To ensure that as many people get to play as possible, I will be looking to experienced players to GM one game in the first round and play three - obviously playing one less game will mean that's one less game you can win, but it's also one less game that you can lose so it just about evens out.  Alternatively a table of experienced players may wish to share GMing duties between them and all play, which is also fine.  I'll supply details of a few scenarios, but bear in mind that they will be pretty simple and if you're GMing then you may wish to spice them up with NPCs, additional objectives, or even replace them entirely with scenarios of your own devising.  If you're new to the game or don't want to GM for whatever reason, that's fine too - Robskib and I will be around to cover those games.  Obviously, if more people decide they want to GM all day then I'm happy with that too.

As you might guess, five games means that lunch is going to have to be a fairly hurried affair and is timetabled for just half an hour (although you can go for lunch as soon as you finish game two so you can take a longer lunch if you like).  There is another event on at WHW that day and so ordering lunch at the bar may not be feasible.  Therefore people may want to bring their own lunch, or we could pre-order pizza like we did at the IGT - if people are interested in that option then let me know and I'll take orders closer to the time.

Anacron

It's clearly been so long since I last played Inquisitor that my account has disappeared!  Maybe you lot changed servers or something...  Aha, a little exploration reveals new servers in August 2009 - that would explain it.

Anyway, I'll bring my regular bunch of radical alien-hunters along to this party.  They came along to some Inquisitor GT once upon a time ('08 perhaps?) and had a pretty fun day, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it.  I might even paint them!  (I hate painting.)

I also quite enjoy controlling the world GMing too, so I can do some of that.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Anacron on February 11, 2010, 12:09:37 AMMaybe you lot changed servers or something...
There was a malicious attack on the servers last year. It wasn't directed at the 'Clave specifically (it was aimed at another site), but it brought down everything on the server.

And as there were apparently no back-ups, everything that was on the forum before was lost in the process.

QuoteI also quite enjoy controlling the world GMing too
Ah, I detect megalomaniac tendencies. Excellent! ;D

~~~~~

Five games in eight hours does sound on the tight side. If you think it's possible, then by all means go with it - but I'm used to running games of perhaps two or three hours normally.

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

The Spring Conclave tends to follow the IGT's lead in encouraging fast, furious games that should take between 45 and 60 mins to play out.

It can help, in many respects, if you chop a foot off each end of the 6 foot table for paperwork and suchlike, and just play on the 4'x4' in the middle.

R.

MarcoSkoll

I'm not necessarily saying it's a problem*, but I at least wasn't entirely prepared for the IGT's pacing - the sudden gear change from games of normally about twice the length probably showed nastily in my decision making speed.

I've been going back over the recordings I took at the IGT, and there are some painfully long silences when I'm thinking (fortunately, less so towards the end of the day). Stupidly, I hadn't really thought through the logic of bringing characters I wasn't entirely familiar with yet to games that I knew would be faster than I was used to.

~~~~~

*Well, in some ways, it can be. I've got an idea for a scenario I'd love to run at the next IGT - if it plays out in the kind of way I'm envisioning, it should be a memorable game to mark the upcoming 10th anniversary of the game.
The issue however is that it might not fit into the available timeslot.

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

Hi, sorry for a relatively late post, but as it looks more likely that I may be able to get transport for this, and will have models by the time it's ready I thought now would be a wise time to ask.

Two of my three models will be made with exclusively GW bitz, but Zophar is based on a Smart Max model, the only GW bitz of him being his weapons. Do you think i'd be reasonably safe using him, or do you think it would be wise to nominate one of his henchmen as my primary character? I only ask because if Zophar is my primary character and must be in every game, but then i'm not allowed to use him, I'd be left in an awkward position.

Unlike most who post on this forum I can't just bring another band instead, as Zophar + co is my only warband (and i don't think i'll have the financial capacity to create another by the 24th April).

As anther point, would Zophar be an acceptable character for such a campaign? As a man(/daemon) devoting his life to causing as many problems for the Imperium as possible, would an acceptable motivation be that he is taking the opportunity to try and wreak some havok, with the overall ambition that he may be able to make large parts of the sector fall vulnerable to rebellion etc (with the eventual aim of conquest in the name of chaos)? After all, what better time to try and fell a large sector of imperial space than when the Inquisition is distracted?

I think it would be rather interesting, but i realise it may cause problems of inclusion for the people making the story.