Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Spring Conclave 2010

Started by Kaled, December 21, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on March 24, 2010, 05:30:09 PMFluff wise, what's the difference between an intimidating and a brutal character?
I'd say that Intimidating characters are more the ones who you know can and will make your life a living hell if you mess with them. Brutal ones are the ones who'll just kill you.

I think that probably answers your question - but that's if he should have either. I can't really see a pit fighter being the type who would try to get around someone with threats rather than just fighting them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

I was thinking more in terms of if he was with Sarthuul who was 'forcing him to behave'. If, for example, the two were surrounded and alone, Sarthuul may well try and talk his way out of it (he being that type), and Severin rampaging probably wouldn't help his cause; the two would just be killed. However, if he coerced Severin into being the 'muscle behind his words', they may make it out alive (that is, until Zophar feels he has sufficient upper hand to let Severin loose).

I agree Severin, by his own decision, would never choose to NOT kill a 'slave of the Imperium' (he, of course believing himself to be a righteous saviour of the slaves - freedom in death), but he ultimately answers to Sarthuul, and Sarthuul, I feel, would be more than capable of persuading Severin to 'hold back' for a while.

I would, of course, RP accordingly, only making brutal tests when I felt it would be characterful.

Thanks for the response, and feel free to pick me up on anything i've said if you disagree.

MarcoSkoll

Well, in that case, I'd be tempted to give a rule to Sarthuul that means he can make threaten tests using Severin's strength if Severin is "obviously in the vicinity".

It seems that it'd be more appropriate to have it so that it's explicitly Sarthuul who's issuing the threats: "Perhaps my bodyguard has escaped your attention.  You can do as I say, or I can let him have his playtime early today."

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

I very much like that idea. For the 'obviously in the vicinity' point, we can say if the character Sarthuul is threatening has line of sight to severin - after all, it wouldnt be a very good threat if they couldn't even see him!

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll be sure to implement it.

Kaled

This isn't directed at Brimstone or anyone else, it's just a general point, but the Persuasive/Intimidating/Brutal skills should only be used where the character really embodies those traits (much as with any other skill).  GMs can always give modifiers to persuade/threaten tests depending on how convincing the characters argument/threat is.

EDIT: So far I have three orders for pizza, four including mine - if anyone else wants one, let me know asap.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Inquisitor Ranovack

sorry cant come due to exams
though i fly through the valley of death i shall fear no evil for i am at 50,000 feet and climing

Kaled

Exams aren't important when compared to ensuring the future stability of the Carthaxian Conclave!

Looking forwards to seeing the rest of you next week...

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Inquisitor Ranovack on April 16, 2010, 08:14:29 PM
sorry cant come due to exams

When are these exams?? I've got two major project hand-ins to have finished by the Friday following the meet, and I've got to travel nearly half the country to get to Nottingham, stay two nights and only get back home mid-Sunday.
Why I do this to myself I'm not quite sure... perhaps it's a substitute for the fact I don't spend all my money on alcohol like my friends do...
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Heh, I've got the opposite problem. It's not that the Conclave is getting in the way of events after it, but that everything is piling up BEFORE and using up my painting/modelling time.

I'll have to haul some serious arse to get everything ready in time, but it can still be done...

... provided I don't set myself on fire or something, which is not entirely impossible, given that I'm testing some incendiary projectiles tonight.

GW's =I= articles

Necris

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 17, 2010, 03:57:24 PM

I'll have to haul some serious arse to get everything ready in time, but it can still be done...

Likewise

the new necris needs finishing

Also did I order pizza or not? I forgot
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

DapperAnarchist

... provided I don't set myself on fire or something, which is not entirely impossible, given that I'm testing some incendiary projectiles tonight.

This is why this forum is great, I think...

I'm both too poor for the journey, and have 3 essays and 2000 words of my thesis to do, a sum total of... 9000-12000 words?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Brother_Brimstone

For me it's balancing revising for exams (which, granted are a couple of months away but i have a VERY high offer to meet) with trying to learn the rules. This will be the first game i play that isn't with my friend and his cousin, who would constantly help me with the rules side of everything as we played. Even then, I only played a couple of gams with them, and they were at 28mm. This will really be my first proper game of Inquisitor, and I want to make sure i don't mess everything up with my loose grasp of the rules...

As a side note, this;

... provided I don't set myself on fire or something, which is not entirely impossible, given that I'm testing some incendiary projectiles tonight

Is excessively awesome.

Kaled

Don't worry about having a loose grasp of the rules, as long as you know the basics people will help out with the rest (they always help me anyway!). Need to revise the rules this week myself...

precinctomega

Must... finish... characters!

R.

Van Helser

I think it's kind of awesome that my attendance depends on the anger of a volcano...

With the flight ban looking like it'll be extending, my attendance at the Conclave is looking less and less likely. Hopefully the ash will dissipate by Friday and stay away until Sunday so I can get back. I'm afraid to say a nine hour train journey from Inverness is going to be a bit too inconvenient for me.

Start your prayer servitors now

Ruaridh