The Ordos Majoris - Roleplay > Out Of Character

The future of the IC boards

(1/5) > >>

Inquisitor Sargoth:
Well, as we can all agree, they're like Cthulhu right now; neither dead nor sleeping, but something between the two.

I say, let us revive them. Our third board has barely any incoming new members, and all of the older members, myself included, are too busy to update solo threads, let alone to run any decent RPs at a timescale faster than geological.

I've been running a writer's circle for a while now, and I think we need to shift towards shorter works which people can step in and out of. The yearly writing competition always has an impressive crop of short stories and around three to six longer entries. So later tonight, I'll be kicking off a short fiction thread free for anyone to use.

I'm also thinking about running online versions of my favourite writing exercise; taking a vague title and either a word or time limit (online, this would have to be word) and seeing where people take it (within the 40Kverse, of course).

Finally, I offer a way for us to continue our collaborative fiction without all waiting on X to post or Y to agree to something. A story which people write a post at a time, anyone able to step and write one, as long as it follows the existing narrative. This means people could post (if they had the time) every day, or if (like myself) they only find a few rare moments to write they'd be able to make a short guest appearance!

Thoughts, those who are still around?

greenstuff_gav:

--- Quote from: Inquisitor Sargoth on December 22, 2009, 05:55:20 PM ---I'm also thinking about running online versions of my favourite writing exercise; taking a vague title and either a word or time limit (online, this would have to be word) and seeing where people take it (within the 40Kverse, of course).

--- End quote ---

this sounds cool; i tried to get a solo narrative going and apparently don't have the attention span (from my couplea pages of notes) but short one offs sounds fun :)

Koval:
I'm in.

Once I finish my stuff over on 40KO I'll port it here too just to keep the thing ticking over.

Van Helser:
Sounds like some good ideas there Stu.

For the continuing narrative thread, I assume you mean a scene will be set, a character or two introduced, and then anyone who wishes can write what happens next, and so on, yes?

One other way of getting a collaborative effort going would perhaps be to set a big scene - an Imperial Crusade, a Sub-Sector at war, a schism of a Sector's Inquisitors and so on - and allow people to post their character's part in it all, whether as a one off or as a continuing story. This could hopefully build into an episodic retelling of the war on the ground, as it were. With a couple of guiding posts from the thread's creator to advance the timeline this could be quite good fun, very easy to run, and wouldn't really be troubled by people dropping out.

Ruaridh

Molotov:
I would say that arguably the "Hobby, Painting and Modelling" section ought to come before the "Roleplay" section, simply because the former is the more active (and is the central focus of the board), which would perhaps give new visitors a better opinion of the forum.

Just a suggestion. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version