Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The future of the IC boards

Started by Inquisitor Sargoth, December 22, 2009, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Sargoth

Well, as we can all agree, they're like Cthulhu right now; neither dead nor sleeping, but something between the two.

I say, let us revive them. Our third board has barely any incoming new members, and all of the older members, myself included, are too busy to update solo threads, let alone to run any decent RPs at a timescale faster than geological.

I've been running a writer's circle for a while now, and I think we need to shift towards shorter works which people can step in and out of. The yearly writing competition always has an impressive crop of short stories and around three to six longer entries. So later tonight, I'll be kicking off a short fiction thread free for anyone to use.

I'm also thinking about running online versions of my favourite writing exercise; taking a vague title and either a word or time limit (online, this would have to be word) and seeing where people take it (within the 40Kverse, of course).

Finally, I offer a way for us to continue our collaborative fiction without all waiting on X to post or Y to agree to something. A story which people write a post at a time, anyone able to step and write one, as long as it follows the existing narrative. This means people could post (if they had the time) every day, or if (like myself) they only find a few rare moments to write they'd be able to make a short guest appearance!

Thoughts, those who are still around?
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Inquisitor Sargoth on December 22, 2009, 05:55:20 PM
I'm also thinking about running online versions of my favourite writing exercise; taking a vague title and either a word or time limit (online, this would have to be word) and seeing where people take it (within the 40Kverse, of course).

this sounds cool; i tried to get a solo narrative going and apparently don't have the attention span (from my couplea pages of notes) but short one offs sounds fun :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Koval

I'm in.

Once I finish my stuff over on 40KO I'll port it here too just to keep the thing ticking over.

Van Helser

Sounds like some good ideas there Stu.

For the continuing narrative thread, I assume you mean a scene will be set, a character or two introduced, and then anyone who wishes can write what happens next, and so on, yes?

One other way of getting a collaborative effort going would perhaps be to set a big scene - an Imperial Crusade, a Sub-Sector at war, a schism of a Sector's Inquisitors and so on - and allow people to post their character's part in it all, whether as a one off or as a continuing story. This could hopefully build into an episodic retelling of the war on the ground, as it were. With a couple of guiding posts from the thread's creator to advance the timeline this could be quite good fun, very easy to run, and wouldn't really be troubled by people dropping out.

Ruaridh

Molotov

I would say that arguably the "Hobby, Painting and Modelling" section ought to come before the "Roleplay" section, simply because the former is the more active (and is the central focus of the board), which would perhaps give new visitors a better opinion of the forum.

Just a suggestion. :)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Van Helser on December 22, 2009, 08:30:52 PM
For the continuing narrative thread, I assume you mean a scene will be set, a character or two introduced, and then anyone who wishes can write what happens next, and so on, yes?

did i misunderstand  :-[
i thought of something along the lines of "someone pics a subject and each do a solo in keeping with the theme"  as opposed to a continuing narrative (which is alot more effort :lol: )

on the forum order i'm not sure if i can change the order without deleting each; they follow the old 'claves layout at the mo *goes to check*

Build Your Imagination

Inquisitor Sargoth

Molotov, this is true, but tradition is the IC boards come first. And I'm not a mod.

Gav, glad you got on board. No need to use the same title, though.

Helser - Great idea, love it. Any ideas for something other than a war? It is an Inquisitor board, and the BL is choked with WAR!

EDIT: The thread I made is for random one-shots. The follow on thread(s) will be later. My (unusually synpathetic POV) story would be hard to follow on from, it has a kind of closure to it...

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Van Helser on December 22, 2009, 08:30:52 PM
One other way of getting a collaborative effort going would perhaps be to set a big scene - an Imperial Crusade, a Sub-Sector at war, a schism of a Sector's Inquisitors and so on - and allow people to post their character's part in it all, whether as a one off or as a continuing story.

i think that's What Kaled's Planning?

looks like forum order can be adjusted, but you'll have to ask Saussure about it; he's The Boss, i just work here :lol:

Build Your Imagination

Van Helser

The schism idea is of course similar to Kaled's idea - I'm not poaching ideas, honest - but this has the advantage of not requiring gaming time, which is nigh on impossible to get for some of us poor folk in the Highlands!

Stu, other ideas could include Imperial groups pouring into a newly discovered Sector, the Inquisition's attempts to bring down a failing noble dynasty, or the gathering of evidence to drag a suspected Radical to a High Conclave.  It needs to be something fairly open to counteract the inevitable decrease in participants, so I chose war initially as people aren't likely to be missed (one stray Deathstrike missile here, another there...), but with a tighter leash and some clever get-out clauses I'm sure something slightly less generic could be workable.

Kallidor

Might it not be possible to do with a set of characters what was done with the build a world idea? What I mean is a basic 'warband' (for want of a better word) would be created and everyone would contribute ideas to how these characters would look and act et cetera and we could all decide which suggestions we like the most and so collaboratively create a set of characters.

Once the characters were established then the story could be written as already suggested where anyone can type a post that advances the story using one or more of the characters. With a pattern of action set by previous posters it would be a lot simpler to simply type a post as and when you feel in the mood. I think.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Inquisitor Sargoth

My original idea was to essentially allow people to add onto the framework without too much OOC planning, but that could work too. I rather like the idea over an overarching bad guy/organisation, allowing characters to face (or be!) various agents of said villain(s). Perhaps something along the lines of Serrated Query, or the Logicians of DH fame?

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Kallidor on December 22, 2009, 10:45:39 PMMight it not be possible to do with a set of characters what was done with the build a world idea?
speaking of which, I hunted down the old proboards forum for that the other day, I really do keep meaning to take on the task of collating everything for a DM article or stand-alone.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Swarbie

These all sound like good ideas to help liven up the IC section a bit. They're one of my favourite parts of this forum, so I'd be happy to join in on any group fiction-projects. 
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Inquisitor Sargoth

Consider this a bump. Continuing plotting, people! Helser, fire up the electrodes! Swarbie, raise the lightning rod! We're bringing this thing back!

greenstuff_gav

i've got a short piece 2/3 done; just work has been horrific (bank holidays don't stop cows making milk!) so not been able to hammer past this paragraph :(

Build Your Imagination