Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

First attemp

Started by Jester, December 14, 2009, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Ok so hey im new to the forums.
Anyway down to business.

I am attempting to get into a sort of roleplay small squad based fighting table top campaign.
Firstly I will say I am new to GMing and I am new to Inquisitor.
However I have played alot of WH40K table top and alot of D&D.
The mixture of these two games is what I am going for sort of a progression of a group of people as they advance on their career in the Imperial army of man.

Anyway I know I know...
They wont got from PDF to Cadian veterans to Space Marines that is illogical.
However my campaign is going to follow them from civilians to being in Eye of Terror planet when a small raiding force of unorganised chaos land in their farming village.
They must spend so many turns trying to survive (running mostly unless your char is lucky to start with a gun and BS above 2.) untill the PDF show up abit later.

Anyway they will learn that the raiding force was just a splinter of the invasion that appeared out of the warp and the rest hit the big capital city. They will end up being drafted into the PDF as volunteers in preperation for another wave of invaders (possibly set a few weeks later so that their stat changes seem reasonable after some basic training.)

Anyway at the end of that the poo its the fan again and they get sent to the nearest local city where all the local vilages have been evacuated to and are setting up a deffence to protect them and so there is less area for the local PDF to protect.

I am expecting pretty high casualty rates to start off so all will start with 3 people. Hopefully by this point after the last conflict in the city they will have 1 left. (meaning they dont get to pick EXACTLY what char they play because I hate people who make really perfect charicters.)

Anyway more training as you are forced to stay in the PDF due to lack of numbers
Sent on some pretty basic missions which are to restore order in citys where riots have occured.
Breif story about cadian IG invading planets near the Eye of Terror to stop chaos outbreaks

You do some more PDF missions slowly getting better.

The story will be unfolded that the Cadian Guard have taking a bashing due to losing alot of units before they even got grounded due to the space war and Cadian PDF will be drafted into the Imperial Guard.
Here some how by some crazy luck your chars get into a caidan guard unit (Probably due to the fact that you always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at the start and someone high up thinks you must be pretty good to be alive.)

Anyway the story keeps going (hopefully slowly but still really fun.) until eventually you are sent on a small mission to check out your old village for a heretic cult.
The players are 2 firing squads and a strange party of peole asking for you specifically.
Poo hits fan.
This is when you begin to realise something is wierd and after this point you slowly discovered the small party of people with you are inquisitors and they have been pulling a few strings.

Anyway...
Is this at all plausible in the Inquisitor rules.
I have been fiddling around with them abit.
Developing my own system of leveling up charicters between missions depending on how they perform in a mission and what they spend their time doing between missions.
I am also gonna have abit of group interaction determining how charicters work and level.

But I was just wondered has anyone else tried to make a full campaign with "dungeons" full of "enemies" before and is there any useful stuff you could pass on?
I was specifically annoyed that the rule book has NOTHING for making enemies and it seems to just leave you without help in that case.

Of course this isnt the end of the world as I can make people adapted from the char sheets but I would be lost when it came to things such as tyranids or orks...
I just dont understand whether the game is supposed to be played like this or whether I am going to have to make some major alterations.

Anyway comments would be appreciated.

MarcoSkoll

QuoteAnyway... Is this at all plausible in the Inquisitor rules. I have been fiddling around with them a bit.
Just about anything is plausible - Inquisitor is far more versatile than most of the systems that GW has written, because it gives complete freedom to write rules, weapons... anything really.

The question is therefore not "Is it plausible", but "Is it characterful" or "Does it make sense within the background".

QuoteDeveloping my own system of leveling up charicters between missions depending on how they perform in a mission and what they spend their time doing between missions.
There was an article in this vein in WD. It was reprinted in the 2002 annual, although regrettably, that's now out of print.
I am still musing over simply scanning in the whole of my copy of said annual just so people have access to all those articles.

Still, most people don't really level up characters. They might rule that a character who does something spectacular should get a bonus for it, but not usually any more.
That said, most people start with characters some way through their careers and with a lot of experience already backing them up.

QuoteBut I was just wondered has anyone else tried to make a full campaign with "dungeons" full of "enemies" before and is there any useful stuff you could pass on?
I don't know, but that's not really the way the game should be taken. It's not D&D in the 41st millennium.

QuoteI was specifically annoyed that the rule book has NOTHING for making enemies and it seems to just leave you without help in that case.
... right. Combined with your earlier comment, I'd say you've not quite got the point of the game here. A lot of the things that seem to be omissions from the rulebook at first glance were left out deliberately. See below.

QuoteI would be lost when it came to things such as tyranids or orks...
Inquisitor is not meant to cover 'Nids and Orks on a regular basis. 'Nids and Orks are generally massed foes that one must fight on the battlefield, not opponents that you're likely to run into on an Inquisitor table.

An Inquisitor might meet a few Genestealers, or perhaps a couple of Orks in the catacombs under a city that have grown from spores from an invasion a few years back. But that's it - once or twice off scenarios.

For the most part, Inquisitor is a game that plays on Imperial/Imperial interactions, rivalries between factions and the like. You might at times see an Imperial/Chaos Cultists game, or the Imperium dealing with a more intelligent Xenos race (Eldar or Tau, most likely) that's trying to destabilise the Imperium.

Rarely does Inquisitor involve relations with an openly militant force.

If I may, if you do want to go down the line of "developing characters" in this fashion, that you start with Inquisitorial acolytes trying to make it along the path to becoming an Inquisitor. Have them play off against traitorous clerics, dishonest officials, each other, or whatever, as long as it's in that kind of vein. Steer clear of any openly aggressive Xenos or whatever except as a rare game.

If you ask around a bit, I'm sure we can help you hammer some ideas into a good start.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Jester

OK well I suppose I did phrase it badly.
The bulk of my question was.

I am making this campaign.
Is Inquisition going to be the best set of rules to base my game on?
I am going to be doing heavy changing to them already.

I understand exactly what the game sets its self upto be.
It sets its self upto be a game in which you can have very simple "duals" between two or more groups of inquisitors.
However it is that people have worked in new things that it is used for other things.

I am wondering if I want to go much further and pretty much re-work it to be D&D'ish (not totaly) do I use Inquisitor or do I use another form of rules?

At the moment this is the best base for rules I have found so.

I appreciate your responce though. :)
And I am not losing the plot of what Inquisitor is for, I just want to adapt it to fit my own needs.

Oh and no I dont expect to have an entire army of orks.
I like you pretty much stated want a few lurking in a sewer every now and then and a sect of genesteelers trying to cause civil war if you get my drift. :)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Jester on December 14, 2009, 02:16:54 PMI am making this campaign.
Is Inquisitor going to be the best set of rules to base my game on?
Perhaps. It's a fluid system, but it's also not one that lends itself to simply slaying a horde of NPC grunts. Inquisitor characters tend to be like action heroes - even the ones that aren't relatively all that tough are still pretty hard.

QuoteI am wondering if I want to go much further and pretty much re-work it to be D&D'ish (not totaly) do I use Inquisitor or do I use another form of rules?
Possibly. However, you might possibly want to consider looking at either a twisting of Necromunda or the fan blend of the two, Inquisimunda.

QuoteI like you pretty much stated want a few lurking in a sewer every now and then and a sect of genestealers trying to cause civil war if you get my drift.
That works for the Orks, but Genestealers are not really out to cause civil war. Genestealer hybrids might perhaps work in that fashion, but not the Genestealers themselves.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

From what you've said, it sounds like Necromunda might be a better match for what you want to do - it's more designed for squad based games and has rules for 'leveling-up' and can better cope with enemies such as orks or 'stealers.  You could play using the Inquisitor rules, but as you've already discovered, that's not a situation they were designed for.

I suggest you take a look at both rulesets and maybe play a couple of test games wit each to see which suits you best.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Vladimir

But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Tullio

Dark Heresy does indeed sound like a better ruleset for what you're trying to do - most Dark Heresy characters start off as glorified civilians that somehow survive to become hardened Inquisitorial agents

Tullio

Vladimir

And, of course, DH is an awesome game...
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i