Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Letter writing and Petitions

Started by Kaled, January 19, 2010, 03:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

The other week, someone (I forget who, sorry) PM'd me to ask if I would help start a petition to get GW to bring back more support for the game.  My response was that petitions, bombarding the studio with e-mails or form letters is a waste of time as it's only likely to irritate the people at GWHQ.  However, based on a conversation a few of us had with Jervis at the the IGT 2008, it seems the best thing we could do would be to write letters to the studio to remind people that Inquisitor is a great game, one that is much loved and has a lot of dedicated fans who enjoy playing it and making the models.  Jervis said that proper letters tend to get more attention as they take more effort to write and send, and they're the sort of thing that do get read and, if they're interesting enough, passed around the office.

Following this conversation I was spurred into action and sat down and wrote a letter to Jervis saying how much I love the game, recounting some of my experiences and included a few pictures of my models in the hope that people might find something interesting in what I'd written and pass it around.  In passing I mentioned things like it'd be nice to see more of the old articles put back online or to see the return of a few discontinued models, but I tried very hard not to make it a begging or complaining letter - the idea was to write something to show my enthusiasm for the game.

Just before the old Conclave died, there was a thread dedicated to getting as many people as possible to write to GW and I figured I'd have a go at resurrecting the idea being as the PM I received reminded me that there are fans out there who'd like to do something to show GW that the game still has it's fans.  Hopefully if a load of us send in interesting and enthusiastic letters we might raise the profile of the game in the studio a bit - and you never know, the letter might find it's way to the desk of a fellow fan who does have the ability to support the game in some way...

- Dave 
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

Aah yes, I remember starting that thread before the 'Clave went down, which is a shame because I think it was killed off before the idea picked up any steam. Which address did you use? I'll post mine that I have done, because I wrote one last time but never sent it off...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Ferran

Did you get a reply? I'm sure he's quite busy but if he had time to reply I'd be interested in hearing the general gist of what he said.

I'll write one explaining my own interest in =][=, from the perspective of someone that likes the 40k universe and also 54/1:32 miniatures.

Kaled

I sent it to the address given on this page - to Jervis Johnson c/o Games Workshop Design Studio;
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=9400003

If I get a reply, I'll let you know but I'm not expecting one...

MarcoSkoll

When you say "proper letters", are we talking about handwritten ones, or merely anything sent by Snail-mail?
If it's the former, I should note that I have a condition called illegible handwriting.

Quote from: Kaled on January 19, 2010, 03:12:56 PM...to remind people that Inquisitor is a great game, one that is much loved and has a lot of dedicated fans who enjoy playing it and making the models.
Well, we'll have to hope for somewhat more consistent and numerous attendance at the events. A Grand Tournament of eight does not give the impression of "a lot of dedicated fans who enjoy playing" - I know we had several people who were otherwise engaged, but GW doesn't see "the people who would be there if they could".

Actually, on that kind of note, has there been any finalization on whether we'll be having a March 2011 IGT at WHW, or a Dec 2010 IGT elsewhere?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Hand written letters are nice, but anything sent via snail mail would be good.

I decided that I agreed with whoever it was who said that the IGT should be held at WHW in case we can persuade members of the studio to attend, so the plan is still for March 2011. Attendence was low last year, but maybe changing the date will improve that...

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 20, 2010, 05:30:53 AMA Grand Tournament of eight does not give the impression of "a lot of dedicated fans who enjoy playing"

As a games designer, what would you prefer - eight hand-written letters with pictures attached of their favourite models, battle reports and suggestions or a hundred poorly written emails saying "Blood angles sux dark eldar are bst y havnt u brought out there codex yet"?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on January 20, 2010, 11:00:31 AMAs a games designer, what would you prefer?
True, of course, but I'm not talking about the number or quality of letters - the show made at events is obviously an important step made in showing GW that the game is still alive.

Quote from: Kaled on January 20, 2010, 10:17:41 AMHand written letters are nice, but anything sent via snail mail would be good.
Well, that makes it somewhat easier. I find it pretty disrespectful to make it a chore to read what you've written, which is why I always do my best to use good English in my internet posting.

Unfortunately, my handwriting didn't get the memo. Even if I try and write laboriously carefully, I still end up with something pretty rubbish. It doesn't really make sense alongside some of my artistic skills, but that's the way it is.

QuoteI agreed that the IGT should be held at WHW, so the plan is still for March 2011.
Works for me.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles