Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

RobSkib's mad NPC thread

Started by RobSkib, January 24, 2010, 12:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Thanks for the comments all!

@Kresten: You have 'worldwide' ticked at the bottom because they're shipped from the US I believe, here's a link to the seller who has all four models: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mrs-velard/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I really want the Sister, she looks like she has so much potential!

@Aidan: Thanks! The highlighting is really easy to achieve, it just takes a bit of patience. Just a basecoat, followed by a wash, then highlighted again with the basecoat. I find this technique works well for me as it makes the models stand out on the tabletop, and lets you see all the detail when viewed at arms length
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

RobSkib

Update time!

Had a lot on my plate recently, so with a couple of days spare I managed to bash out some Inquisitor models. Followers of the thread may recognise one or two of these traitor guardsmen, with the third being a sudden last-minute brainchild. I have a fallen Commissar in the works as well weilding a pair of corrupt power fists, as well as a rogue trader/black market dealer/ crazy mechadendrited NPC who needs a bit of ProC work on him before I'm happy to take pictures.

Anyways, back to the traitor guardsmen;

The first fellow is the newest recruit, he came together pretty easily. I wanted him to be relatively normal compared to the other two, but still set him apart from a generic grunt so I broke out the ProC and gave him an interesting gun design - a Hades pattern lasgun. You should be able to place all the pieces, legs from malicant, arms and chest from the guardsmen and one of Kal Jericho's heads to top it off.

This was actually the first guardsman I put together before realising I wanted a traitor warband. I have about a half dozen of those barbaretta single shotguns kicking about my bits box, with another half dozen or so glued to the backs of models, but I realised that not a single one of my characters is actually *holding* one. It also gave me a chance to use up one of the hundreds of Screaming Guardsman heads I have lying around. To make him interesting to play with, I equipped him with a plague knife - there's nothing like a bit of Nurgle's Rot to make a battlefield more exciting!

And finally probably my favourite conversion out of the three. After I saw the conversion in the INQ rulebook of Dante, the guardsman suffering nurgle's rot, based on the Arco flagellant model, I knew I had to use that idea. The Damien model is so dynamic, it seems a shame to waste it on making an arco flagellant, which I know from experience only ever get a single play on the table top before being consigned to the 'Hilarious but Game-breaking' shelf.

Two revolvers gives him a nice role to fill on the tabletop, and to further plump up his character a bit, I gave him Dimensional Shifting (from the Alien Bounty Hunter rules) which makes him a real pain in the ass to fight against! Perfect for upping the ante, as my Players tend to chew through the cultists that I throw at them these days, so a tough squad of traitor guardsmen ought to sort them out.

Let me know what you think, and watch this space! I currently have Mucus the Ancient, the three-headed mutant with the tiny arms on my painting desk, as well as a handful of other models that are still in the WIP stages. Now, if only I hadn't bought a box of those delicious new dark eldar models to turn into a dark elf Blood Bowl team.. :( The life of the easily distracted is never an easy one!
                                     +++++++

Myriad

Yay, more mad NPCs.  Love the pale skin tone.  Very sickly, but creepy looking.

The Damian conversion is the most dramatic, but the other two have a very good 'not quite right' looking vibe that I think is just right for traitor guard.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Saussure

Great stuff RobSkib. I'm most keen on NPC#2 - he seems to have just the right amount of subtle wrongness to mark him out as being clearly not quite right! That being said, #3 is wonderfully dynamic, and I love the ripped and torn clothing hanging from his frame. Nice smooth painting and a good unified colour scheme to make them all hang together as well.

This thread is fast-becoming one of my favourite in the P&M forum - really good stuff all round!  :)

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

RobSkib

Thanks for the comments guys! Once I get the ball rolling, it's really quite hard to stop...

On to the final (for now!) member of my traitor guardsmen, Mucus the Ancient. He's the result of kit-bashing the biggest bits I had in my bits box that up until now, had no purpose! Converting chaos minions is a lot more fun than I had anticipated, I don't know why I havn't done it before. You can use all sorts of bits from all across the ranges and get away with grossly misproportioned characters because y'know.. it's Chaos!

I'm trying to think of a good backstory for him, I was playing with the idea that he was a Traitor Marine at one point in history, and the gods have been 'gifting' him with mutations, so much so that he's barely recognisable as the powerful warrior he once was. I was thinking of giving him a high Sg, as he has three minds to put towards a problem, but these often conflict meaning sometimes he stands around arguing with himself, or even performing the exact opposite of the original order!

Ideas, comments and criticisms are, as always, welcome - I'd love to know your ideas on this.

+++++++

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kallidor

The painting is very smooth and clean, really excellent and the blending on the horns and mutated bits is very good.

What colours did you use for the metallic areas on the legs?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

RobSkib

Thanks for the comments! I was starting to think that Mucus was going to go unloved  :'(

@Kallidor: The metal was surprisingly easy to do. I hate painting in gold and avoid it where possible, but in this case I thought it would make a nice change. I drybrushed Shining Gold straight over the chaos black undercoat, being fairly generous with my helpings. After that, I just filled in the gaps between the gold with Adeptus Battlegrey and gave the whole thing a wash with Badab Black. Afterwards I picked out some of the finer details with boltgun metal.

Recently I picked up a nice cheap Andrea model off ebay for tuppence, unfortunately it's a crusader-type fellow, so I've had to try very hard to distinguish it from Saussure's amazing Crusader further up in this forum. I've got a couple of other guys to finish off though, so it'll be a while before you see him! More pictures to follow as soon as I get some batteries for my damned camera...
                                     +++++++

Kallidor

I think I'll have to give that a try, sounds nice an easy which is just up my street when it comes to painting. Painting my Ork I can't believe just how much more pleasure I got from painting with a big brush!!! So nice to see it get done quickly  ::)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

RobSkib

Tadaaaa!

5 pages back, I think that's a record for this thread. Anyhoo, the IGT is coming up frightfully quickly, so it's time to hi-jack my own thread and post a couple of models that aren't strictly NPCs. Well, this chap isn't anyway, he's the newest addition to my personal warband and goes by the name of Commander Hern.

Stranded on an alien planet, his unit was whittled down until it was just him left. Surviving for countless years on his own, his pride refused to let him roll over and die in the wilderness. He developed a taste for Kroot'la, a powerful Krootish spirit, that helped him cope in the jungles alone without going completely insane. He is fierce, proud, loyal to the Emperor and an incredible big game hunter, yet also a loud, boisterous and headstrong alcoholic.

I won't show you his statline, so I can keep some surprises secret from his foes, but I will let on that he has a special ability called Big Game Hunter, which gives him Blademaster, Deadeye Shot and Force of Will against any Large Targets or other beasts that the GM deems would make a suitable trophy for his collection ;)

+++++++

Heroka Vendile

very characterful model rob, can't wait to see him painted.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Aurelius 12

His head is fantastic, and I rather like the rifle with added stabby-parts too! Can't wait to see him in the flesh as it were!
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

MarcoSkoll

I have to say, that rifle scope is a recipe for scope eye - a condition characterised by contusions, abrasions and lacerations to the orbicularis oculi and surrounding muscle, and symptomatic of the blunt trauma caused by inadequate focal length of optical sighting aids in relation to the momentum transfer present during use of a firearm.

In layman's terms: You want a good distance between scope and eye, or recoil will smack the two together.

Other than that, very nice.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 24, 2011, 01:56:21 PM
I have to say, that rifle scope is a recipe for scope eye - a condition characterised by contusions, abrasions and lacerations to the orbicularis oculi and surrounding muscle, and symptomatic of the blunt trauma caused by inadequate focal length of optical sighting aids in relation to the momentum transfer present during use of a firearm.

In layman's terms: You want a good distance between scope and eye, or recoil will smack the two together.

Other than that, very nice.

I was just thinking that. Perhaps building up the other end of the scope? Let lots of light in, big sight picture for big game.

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 24, 2011, 01:56:21 PM

Just as well I totally considered all of these possibilities and gave him a bionic eye then, eh? :P

I'm toying with how to paint him. I tried inserting some little spines in his arm to make him look more like a kroot, but playing with 3mm of paperclip at a time is asking for the model to be thrown across the room in fury, so I stopped that. I'm going to play about with different tattooes and the like, see what I come up with.
                                     +++++++