Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

RobSkib's mad NPC thread

Started by RobSkib, January 24, 2010, 12:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

Oho, the same arm attachments i originally used for Severin, before I scaled his arms down, they look great on the chrono-gladiator arms and make him a really menacing model as a whole. I especially like the banner, it's a great touch. Great paintjob on Boson, simple yet effective. There's something bugging me about the head position on Fisto, but i can't quite place what it is... Maybe it's just me, he still looks like a great model as a whole!

Look forward to seeing them painted.

RobSkib

@Molotov - that would be great, thanks!

@Brother_Brimstone - I havn't finished sculpting his neck yet, that might be whats making it look a bit funny?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Brother_Brimstone

It could well be; it's not one of those things that leaps out at me as being plain wrong it's more like when i look at it, it seems somehow...odd; it may just be the combination of parts, and once it's painted it may no longer seem odd. To be honest I wouldn't pay it much heed, i simply mentioned it on the off chance anyone else felt the same, but it's probably just me. I wouldn't want to undermine such great work.

Molotov

Sorry for the delay, Rob - I was off seeing Toy Story 3! :)

I don't quite know what an "Orge" is, I guess my fingers got a little ahead of me... I've gone and edited that post now!

So, Emperor's Mercy, by Henry Zou, features a meeting between Inquisitors Obadiah Roth and Vandus Barq (in my copy, it starts on page 149.)

Apparently, as 'twig-limbed progena' Roth was champion tetherweight fist-fencer, knocking out multiple anchorweight opponents. Barq calls it 'wimpy punch-fencing nonsense', whilst Roth maintains it's a 'gentlemanly pursuit'.

Zou mentions that Fist-Fencing contains an 'array of fist strikes' but also 'a thorough syllabus of fifty-one blocks and trapping techniques'. Whilst it might perhaps seem a bit refined for Fisto, it's entirely possible that bastardised versions of fist-fencing might have spread across the back-streets of worlds. And if there are rules, a dirty fighter need not stick to them! Fist-fencing sounds a little more 40k than 'boxing', anyway...

Hope it helps!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

RobSkib

Fist-fencing is definitely a term that I'm going to use! I don't know who would want to spar off against him, but hey!
                                     +++++++

RobSkib

Update! Shameless double post!

I keep meaning to update this more regularly rather than doing a huge job lot every few weeks. I personally blame everything other than myself - my failing hard drives, corrupt Photoshop, inability to work unless goaded...

I've had to use the poxy built-in Windows edit function as I havn't had access to my usual cornecopia of editing tools, so apologies if they're a little big! Anyways, enough with my excuses, on with the pictures!

I finished my techie, and I'm quite chuffed with how he came out. I tried something new with the skin, Astronomican grey with an Ogryn Flesh wash, highlighted again with grey. I also gave him a splash of red so as to tie him in with the Admech.

And here's a snap with the whole warband:

Next up is a guy I picked up off eBay a little while ago - it's part of the Damnation line of miniatures which I URGE everyone to go out and buy as soon as you can! There's only a handful of them - a guy called 'Inquisitor' (this fellow), a Sister Sororitas with a pair of Kanas, a cool looking cultist with a pet lizard and a tribal fellow with an awesome stick-skull-tank thing. Check them out on eBay! [/shameless plug]

Anyways, this is Judge Eli Kane. He came with the really cool scenic base which has a necron-esque robot thing buried in it, so I didn't want to leave it out. I changed very little on the model, I added an Aquila to the base, a shock maul to his belt, a backpack, a hanging helmet and a shoulderpad. I tried a bit of freehand on his head, he was really bald and wanted to do some kind of tattoo on his head, and eventually settled on a roman numeral VI and a laurel wreathe. He does have sort of a nasty lean though, that's really apparent in the photos, but it's the only way he could stand on his base, so I guess I'll just have to put up with it!

I was having a bit of a braindribble day and ended up sticking random bits together and came up with this fella - pretty uninspired, but I realised I didn't have any really 'evil' characters. Kinda strange, considering Inquisitor is all about the shades of grey in between, but I didn't have any characters or models I could have as definite bad guys, which is what you need sometimes!

So this is a traitor guardsman, pretty ordinary as traitor guardsmen go!

So I really wanted to flesh out this guy's warband, and remembered the Dante conversion in the Inquisitor rulebook of the guardsman suffering from Nurgle's rot, based on the arco-flagellant model. With a slight adaption, I came up with this beastie! I havn't finished sculpting his torn shirt yet, which should cover up most of the unsightly flagellant holes (ew!) and the join around his neck.

My goodness, making followers of chaos is fun! I had the legs, body and left arm in place for this next fellow, and realised I didn't have any suitable heads or right arms, so I went for the only sensible alternative - horrible yet hilarious mutation!

C&C as always very welcome, I'd love to hear what you think about them
                                     +++++++

DapperAnarchist

That first one... is he made almost entirely out of rare GW bits? I think I recognise the head and the body from various shots in the Rulebook...

The Damnation model irritates me, only because that, plus a beard, is really close to what I've been trying for with a model I'm working on (The Grey Man).

Will the Triple-Tiny-Head mutant be a bit dim and bicker with himself?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Swarbie

Beautiful work. I love the chaos guys in particular.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

RobSkib

Actually, I think the first guy only uses two rare bits - the head from the Jan Vastobaal booster pack and the legs from one of the Imperial citizens, the only other INQ bit is the chest from Stone. The rest of the pieces are actually all 40k - the shoulderpad is a WHFB Ogre gutplate, the right arm is from a chaos terminator or the plastic lord, the left arm from the new plastic Ork warbikers kit. The rest was just bits and pieces I had lying around.

I'm thinking of calling the three-headed guy Sloth, unless someone can think of a good three-headed reference? It also hadn't occurred to me, but he could totally pick all his noses at once, especially well with that extra long fingernail of his :)
                                     +++++++

Swarbie

Sloth's good. Call him Sloth Tinyhead   ;D

His favourite saying could be "Three heads are even better than two . . ."
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Flinty

QuoteI'm thinking of calling the three-headed guy Sloth,

Witlesspedia has a few lists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycephaly, although not a H Potter fan, I do think Fluffy has a nice whimisicality - but probably not the sort of thing you're after...

Curly, Larry, and Moe? 
Neanderthal and Proud!

Kresten

'Baby ruth?'

Great work as always, I particularly like Eli Kane, such a good model. The tats on his head are fantastic and really add loads of character, you dont see enough tats on Inq models IMO. I think the grey skin is a winner too.

He looks to me like feral worlder/servitor, what's the general idea/background?
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Myriad

I really like the techie.  He's got a lovely rough, battered look about him.  Too many guys run through scrape after acrape, assiduously polishing away scratches.

Always good to see more mutant henchmen too, chaos spawn parts are good.  Chimeras have 3 heads of course, but that hardly suggests a name.  Sloth is good, it seems like a slightly cruel nickname given by the rest of the warband, typical of chaos.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kresten

btw where did you manage to buy the Damnation minis? I googled it and couldnt find a link.

EDIT: read your post again and realised you said ebay, but again cant find them on there! could you link it? I really like the cultist, I've seen him on CMON and want one now!
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Aidan

Wow, I especially love your painting skills. I've got to try some of that stark higlighting myself. The conversion work is also great, they're all very unique models, especially the 'techie'.