Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

RobSkib's mad NPC thread

Started by RobSkib, January 24, 2010, 12:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

Wow.  He may not be an NPC, but he's mad enough  :).  This has to be one of the most individual looking models I've seen.  Very nice.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

phil-o-mat

that guy is awesome! the kroot`s head as helmet works really good.
i would keep  the scope, rather than using a bionic eye, just shorten it a bit.

and what i really like, is how your work with the putty turned out. the work on the belt for example is subtle, but very well done.

can`t wait to see it finished!

phil

RobSkib

Yeah, you guys are right (as usual!) and although I mock slightly, I will be shortening the scope slightly before basecoating. Not a problem, just a quick snip 'n' stick, good eyes for spotting that.

Quote from: Myriad on February 24, 2011, 03:04:01 PMThis has to be one of the most individual looking models I've seen.  Very nice.

Thanks! It was a mad drunken/caffeine fuelled Rambo-fest night, and desparate to do a survivalist, minimum combat gear lone hunter type character, but avoiding the obvious cliches (yet still sticking to some minor ones :P). A rummage around in my bits box revealed a set of otherwise bland pieces - Jaxon's legs, stone's body and some ork arms. Pretty standard fare for most of my cultists, so I wanted to make this guy look as different as possible using some old skool bits. It wasn't until a brief shop in my local GW and I picked up a Krootox that I saw the whole thing panned out in front of me - his Kroot hat is actually a 40k krootox head upside down!

This does of course mean I have a krootox and half a helmeted 54mm kroot head that I'm fusing together, but that's a project for another time...

Quote from: phil-o-mat on February 24, 2011, 04:38:38 PMand what i really like, is how your work with the putty turned out. the work on the belt for example is subtle, but very well done.

Much apprecitaed, my putty skills leave much to be desired (you should see my earlier attempts.. yiiiick), but if there's one thing I can pass on to help out other puttypushers is; Do it in stages! So many times I have had to resculpt bits that I've pushed my fat thumbs into on the other side of the model.

In fact, the belt was assembled in about 5 stages over a matter of several hours, waiting for the previous stage to dry. I'm actually quite chuffed at how it came out, and is probably my favourite part of the whole model! So thanks for noticing it :)

Now all I have to do is finish sculpting my Scout...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on February 24, 2011, 05:13:34 PMhis Kroot hat is actually a 40k krootox head upside down!
Oh, it's being called a hat now? Well then, given that I'm bringing a character called Vera Canton, I can see it all panning out...

"That's quite a rifle. Boy must be your best shot to carry that".
"He's called Hern. Always makes it quick, but messy."
"Hern. Nice hat."

(For those of you who are not acquainted with Firefly, this would be the point Hern's brains got redistributed over a wide area.)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

He's wearing a Kroot for a hat? Or is it just a hat, that looks like a Kroot?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Nevermore2010

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 24, 2011, 05:34:24 PM

"That's quite a rifle. Boy must be your best shot to carry that".
"He's called Hern. Always makes it quick, but messy."
"Hern. Nice hat."

"Didn't she try to shoot you once?"
"Everyones makin a fuss..."

Love firefly...

And i love the stance of the model, especially how hes holding that mighty fine rifle. Looks like he aims to misbehave...
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

Hadriel Caine

I simply cannot wait to see the guy with the Kroot skull helmet painted. Such an incredible figure concpet. Worthy of the rulebook that one. Very very INQ.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

RobSkib

Quote from: Adam Cunis on February 25, 2011, 07:27:22 PMI simply cannot wait to see the guy with the Kroot skull helmet painted.

So would I! So much to paint, so little time  :'(

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I didn't think people would like him, he's been very much a labour of love over the past few weeks, so I'm glad he went down well.

I've had a lot of other painting to do, commissions and such, so I've not had time to put any paint to him yet, but I have had a chance to take some snaps of his new partner. I was looking for something to do with the leftover kroot head after I had snipped the spines off it, and noticed that it fitted quite nicely. Thus, my Inquisitor's personal camera crew was born!

He has a very niche role in my warband. Originally from the planet Hern was stranded on, it was originally a creature of tremendous bouts of rage and violence, yet it's tracking skills were more impressive than Inquisitor Xerxas had ever seen, following their excursion for almost three weeks, waiting for a meal.

After capturing it for study, experimental tech, similar to the pacification helms used on arco-flaggellants, was installed on the creature, as well as some advanced survey equipment, as well as audio loggers and pict-capts. The procedure went better than expected, calming the creature to almost perfect tranquility, making it unsuitable for the role of alien arco-flaggellant. Instead, the Inquisitor hatched another scheme - spurred on by his curiosity and in no small way, his vanity - delegated it the role of Black Box.

Its curious behaviour of being utterly loyal, yet disdainful and almost cowardly approach to violence means it follows and records all the warband's actions, from the shadows. The perfect scribe, it records everything that is said and done in the field, often without ever being discovered. It's incredible speed and strength, combined with electro-chaff launchers means it is rarely chased, and never caught.

Bizarre character concept, sort of a personal alien paparazzi for my Inquisitor. Anyways, let me know what you think;

+++++++

judge-minos

Awesome models there, I agree with everyone that the Kroot hat looks totally badass.

can't wait to see it painted

Adlan

Quote from: RobSkib on March 09, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
Quote from: Adam Cunis on February 25, 2011, 07:27:22 PMI simply cannot wait to see the
Bizarre character concept, sort of a personal alien paparazzi for my Inquisitor. Anyways, let me know what you think;

Sounds like the perfect NPC for a game of Catch the Pigeon. Interesting character, Inquisitor Hanja has something a little similar, a Pict Skull, which hovers around recording various events. Rules for them in the Judicious remit (Availible in the Skoll Archive), though this is obviously more of a character, whereas the Pict Skull is wargear.

PS: To all my fellow Browncoats, Anyone else heard the sad news about the plan that was?

RobSkib

After a couple of requests for finished snaps, I give you Hern! He had never been played prior to the IGT so I was  a little hesitant to how he would perform, but I needn't have worried.

His first game was a little disappointing, attracting more missiles than is generally healthy, but his following games he clawed back a bit of dignity by stealthing around and stabbing people. He shot a lot of groins as well, which made me happy.

Comments and criticisms welcome as always!

+++++++

Necris

I asked this at the IGT when me and Dave we chatting but where is Hern's  torso from, we suspected Stone's but I honestly didn't think Stones torso has as much detail and depth on it.

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

MarcoSkoll

It's definitely Stone's. It's got all the same metal sutures and straps criss-crossing the torso.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

It certainly is Stone's, you're right. The head is from Van Yastobaal, and his fine, fine kroot hat is made from the lower jaw of a 40k Krootox flipped over, a bit of ProC for the jaw and the spines from the 54mm kroot. The legs are one of the basic guardsman's, just chopped and reshaped and the gun is a mishmash of the Krootox rifle and the chaos cultist rifle. I think everything else is easily guessable!

Hmm.. now all I need to do is finish off all the projects I had originally intended to finish for the IGT... :S
                                     +++++++

Hadriel Caine

That's my new favourite miniature. It oozes cool.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'