Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitrix Daniella Brais

Started by tzabazeus, July 31, 2010, 08:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzabazeus

For your consideration is my primary human character, which should hopefully give you a base for the human standard i’ll be using ;D

Name: Daniella Brais
Family History:
Born to Jared and Hayley Brais on the Paradise world of Nysia in the Ultima Segmentum, a planet of constant warm weather and most of its 13% land mass made up of islands in the southern hemisphere.

Jared was raised in the schola in the nearby Raploch system. A tall ,muscular man, he was stationed on Nysia shortly after leaving the schola, becoming a new recruit for the local Arbites, becoming head of the precinct after 30 years of dedicated service.

Hayley, her mother, was born and raised on Nysia in one of the noble houses inhabiting the planet. There she was schooled in the subjects of medicine and anatomy, pushing her into a career as a surgeon.
Daniella was born 12 years after her mother and father first met, living with them on their small island paradise, waited on by numerous servants, as was custom as a branch of the noble house Elrich.

This life was, however, short-lived. When Daniella was approaching her third terran year, a genestealer cult incorporating several distinguished noble houses and a sizeable chunk of the planets Arbites and PDF troops rebelled.

Daniella’s father and mother were killed when renegade Arbites forces stormed the house. It was only through luck or by the Emperor’s divine protection that Daniella had survived. An inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos had been working to up-root the genestealer cult after evidence of its existence had surfaced. After the Arbites had been eradicated, Inquisitor Benicio Garrus stumbled upon the distraught toddler, taking her in his arms he passed her to one of his accompanying staff, telling her to get her and any of the other survivors to the Arbites court house.

Schola Progenium:
No longer having any living relatives, Daniella was sent to the Schola Progenium located on the nearby world of Amazure II. This world was very different to the one she had left behind. The endless crystal blue oceans gave way to stifling hot jungles covering the majority of the planet’s surface. Here she was educated in a multitude of subjects. She showed a desire for knowledge that her tutors had never seen before. Daniella was placed on an accelerated curriculum overseen by the head abbot Lucius.

Once every one or two years a man would visit the schola and meet with Abbot Lucius, his steely features never smiling except to greet the young woman as they passed. Towards the end of her stay in the schola these visits became more frequent until the day came when she was unexpectedly summoned to the Abbots’ office. As she entered the abbot made a sharp exit. Standing staring out the window across the other side of the room was inquisitor Garrus, clad in jet black robes in contrast to his grey hair. To this day no one outside of the two knows what was discussed within the confines of that room, for neither has spoken about it to anyone else.

Inquisitor:
Upon leaving the schola Daniella was further educated by the staff of Garrus and occasionally Garrus himself when available. Under his tutelage Brais’ skills in investigation and perception were enhanced and tested, working in synchronisation with her near-photographic memory she was an asset Garrus had come to rely upon.
Though it was not only her knowledge that was trained, but was trained physically as well, by former Catachan Devil Braga. Her slight frame meaning she would never be truly strong, and as such was focussed on speed and dodging.

After 43 years under Garrus, he put her forward for promotion to full inquisitor, to which she was accepted. As a full fleged inquisitrix of the Ordo Xenos, She has thus far spent the majority of her time researching and documenting Xenos species in the ultima Segmentum, and many of her investigations involve uprooting genestealer cults in numerous hive cities within the segmentum, after developing a unique method of exposing those tainted. It was during the time spent in numerous hive cities that she witnessed the horrific living conditions of the lower class citizens, and how a striking comparison could be made with fledging empires of Xenos races. It is for this reason that she looks to encompass xenos technology into the imperium, believing that it is the best way for the imperium to continue expanding and for the emperors word to reach distant systems.

Personality:
Brais is a quietly stubborn individual, but has a very methodical and logical approach to thinking, and once she has made up her mind she will stick to it to the end.
She is also not above using her youthful looks to get information from weak willed officials...

Appearance:
Though into her second century, Brais resembles a young woman in her mid twenties due to a unique rejuvinant process, sporting dark blonde hair but with strikingly pale skin. Most often seen in Robes of office in her favourite colour purple, along with an accompanying sash of white and a red floral pattern.

Abilities:
Brais has an incredible memory, able to retain the most unassuming details of any particular place or person she has come into contact with. Coupled with the rigorous training given to her during her years as an acolyte, there is seldom a case she cannot solve alone or with her limited staff.
With her slight figure, Brais prefers to avoid combat, only using her sidearm if there is no other option. This is reflected by the training given to her by Braga, teaching her how to dodge and evade.

Equipment:
Brais carries a sidearm, almost identical to the one given to her by Garrus before going on her first mission, and as such means that she is accustomed to using her needle pistol when the need arises.
Along with her needle pistol Brais carries a Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade, inherited on instruction from Garrus in the event of his death; it is unclear how he came into possession of such a dangerous and rare piece of equipment.
Due to the undercover nature of her work in the hive cities Brais forgoes any armour other than her heavy robes, and prefers to put her trust in a conversion field given to her by a close friend, a rogue trader by the name of Alexis Moretti.

WS   BS   S      T      I     WP   SG     NV     LD
45   49    50   47     54    52    85      48     55

Daniella is right handed.

Equipment: Heavy robes on all locations except head (AV 2), Needle pistol with reload, Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade* with 2 fuel canisters, conversion field

Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade: Treat as a power sword with 4D10 damage.
In addition, using a Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade whilst it is turned on counts as a risky action, and if failed the user has a 50% chance of taking 2D10 damage to their arm.
Use Rules by Kaled

Quote from: Kaled on August 02, 2009, 01:30:31 PM
Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade

A product of information obtained from the Aegis Data Fragment and utilising the properties of the Sollex focusing crystals, this is one of the rarest type of weapons in the Imperium - a power blade of coherent high-energy plasma. Devastatingly powerful, only a few Sollex-Aegis Energy Blades are held by individuals outside the Mechanicus, and their secrets little understood even by their makers in the mysterious Tech-Priest sect of Sollex. Although potent beyond even most power weapons, they can also prove treacherous to the unwary as the energy blade can fluctuate, laser containment fail, or the insubstantial blade slip unexpectedly. [From The Inquisitor's Handbook p.135]

Reach=3 Damage=3D10+4 Parry penalty=-10%

- Assuming the character has the hilt in their hand, activating or deactivating the energy blade is a free action that can be combined with other actions as normal.
- If an energy blade is parried, or successfully makes a parry, there is a 75% chance that the opponent's weapon is destroyed - even power, shock and force weapons are vulnerable to this effect. The energy blade itself cannot be destroyed by power weapons.
- While the energy blade does have a degree of density and mass, physical force applied to the swing contributes nothing to the weapons effect, and so no additional damage is done if the character's Strength is over 50.
- An unmodified roll of 96-100 when attempting to hit or parry means the insubstantial blade has slipped unexpectedly or there has been a malfunction with the containment field.  The wielder must roll on the following table;
1-2 The character suffers a hit from the energy blade doing full (3D10+4) damage to a random location.
3-4 The character suffers a glancing hit from the energy blade doing 2D6+2 damage to a random location.
5-6 The safety cut-outs engage and protect the character from harm, however the energy blade cannot be re-activated for one turn.

- The energy blade consumes cannister fuel, with cannisters usually being worn on the belt and fed by a cable to the hilt. A cannister is good for 5 turns of operation (turns where the blade is active for at least half of the characters successful actions). Changing the cannister takes two actions.
- Due to the harsh actinic light and furnace-blast roar that the blade produces, the wielder cannot attempt to be stealthy while it is switched on. The GM should impose suitable modifiers to any awareness tests made to detect the character while the blade is activated.
- Deflect Shot can be used with an energy blade, however only shots from energy weapons can be rebounded back at the firer; solid rounds are vaporised by the plasma blade.

If anyone wants to read the original thread, it can be fround here;
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208046

Comments and criticism welcome, especially on the energy blade.

Cheers, Niall.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: tzabazeus on July 31, 2010, 08:02:29 PMComments and criticism welcome, especially on the energy blade.
I'll read the rest later, as I'm a little busy right now, but you should know that Kaled wrote some rules for the Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade a while back. (Although I think they may now roll on the Plasma weapon failure table if they suffer the 96-00 fail, as opposed to a random hit - you'd need to ask Kaled)

They've generally been well accepted - I've played against them twice and have no complaints. A nasty weapon to be sure (one destroyed shock maul in one game, and one critical hit to the groin in the other), but not without downsides. It also looks awesome.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

If you notice I didn't use the Risky Action rules because it's generally only going to be used in combat and you roll actions before declaring them so Making it a Risky Action is a bit pointless.

I forget where the latest version of the rules were posted, but they're on here somewhere - a search should find them.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

tzabazeus

Edited the rules for the energy blade as suggested, So to both marco and Kaled thanks ;D

Comments by any other members reguarding background are more than welcome.

Niall

Kaled

As Marco said, the rules were updated since the ones you looked at based on feedback I got from other people - try reading down from this point.  I'd be interested to see how you get on with them - so far the 96-100 thing hasn't really been too much of a drawback as she's killed too many things she's hit and thus hasn't had to make enough WS rolls to properly evaluate the rules (thus I'm thinking of lowering her WS).  I've also wondered about changing it to having four turns of fuel so she has to reload more often...

JoelMcKickass

How many cannisters does she carry for the energy blade?

I do like her though, she has a nasty weapon, but that's balanced by the fact she's not a monster, and seems to be more of an investigative Inquisitor. What model are you using for it?

tzabazeus

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Kaled- ill be using the mishap table from your second link. Also reading that post and the others by searching for the energy blade, is there a complete up to date set of rules you made, or did you mean that the rules were improved upon throughout the thread?

joel- I was thinking she would just have 2 canisters, i.e 1 spare, because as you noticed, she is more of an investigative inquisitor, plus with the companions i have planned she shouldnt need to get her hands dirty.

And the model id just jena orechiel with the energy blade in place of the shuriken pistol in her right hand.

So does the background seem plausible, or do i need to touch up certain areas?

Niall

Kaled

Quote from: tzabazeus on August 03, 2010, 01:01:12 PM
Kaled- ill be using the mishap table from your second link. Also reading that post and the others by searching for the energy blade, is there a complete up to date set of rules you made, or did you mean that the rules were improved upon throughout the thread?
Don't think there's a single up-to-date version - just use whatever version you like best and post feedback based on how it performs.