Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Flamers - someone got angry

Started by Nemesis, January 29, 2010, 08:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigma

The group im attached to came up with the rule that normal flamers ( not hand flamers ) fire a gout of flaming fuel at the target in a 3" inch wide and high corridor upto the range of 12 yards ( larger corridor and longer range for bigger flamers ).
Our rule for sweeping the flame was to count it as a action and to use up relevent fuel. you were able to turn 45 degreas to the new facing in one action

Kasthan

If I am using the flamer rules correctly it can be very difficult to actually hit your opponent unless they are a very short range (using Inq ref sheet it is 1/4 bs + any other mods).

On the idea that you should have to put the flames out, it could really depend upon the situation. Fuel, location and other factors affect how bothered you are about things burning.
I do fire juggling thus have various experiences of being alight. You can coat your arm in meths set it alight and not be bothered (just not for too long but 20+ seconds is fine), but try it with petrol is a different matter. Also clothing changes how bad the flames are, denim and leather are difficult to set alight quickly, Kelvar does not burn (even when soaked in fuel, but the fuel does burn off it) were as nylon melts just near heat. In addition, there are stunt guys who set their whole bodies alight (they do have special suits for this though). This could be included into armour types (I know ceramite does this already but others could be created).
Flamers in the imperium have fuel that supposedly burn under water and in vacuums (I know the science is rubbish), so putting flames out could be hard. Thus it is worth considering fuel types, is the weapon a cutting oxyacetylene torch or a petrol spraying hose?     

Overall it probably is a decision to be made by the GM.
Options could be made to how they try and put the flames out e.g. bat at them or stop, drop and roll etc.

Personally I can not see a Space Marine being bothered by the flames (it is in the fluff) yet other characters would be, especially those in heavy woollen robes. Oh and hair really does not like flames!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kasthan on February 06, 2010, 05:53:14 PMIf I am using the flamer rules correctly it can be very difficult to actually hit your opponent unless they are a very short range (using Inq ref sheet it is 1/4 bs + any other mods).
No, one quarter BS is the original version. It got a considerable change later on.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kasthan

Ah, yes, just read the electronic copy. It uses the full auto rules + special flamer ones.

spikeyjoey

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 06, 2010, 06:47:38 PM
Quote from: Kasthan on February 06, 2010, 05:53:14 PMIf I am using the flamer rules correctly it can be very difficult to actually hit your opponent unless they are a very short range (using Inq ref sheet it is 1/4 bs + any other mods).
No, one quarter BS is the original version. It got a considerable change later on.

*bump*

stops me having to make a thread :p

would the change be under the revised armoury?
I think it would be cool if some of the more important revised rules could be stickied in a thread- I know they are linked but they have to be downloaded atm, which i cant do as this isnt my computer :(

Kaled

The full-auto and flamer rules have had a couple of updates over the years, and they are in the latest pdf version of the rulebook which is available from the GW site.  If you haven't downloaded it already, then you really ought to find a way to get it as there are quite a few more very minor updates to the rules as well.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Dust King

Quote from: Kasthan on February 06, 2010, 05:53:14 PM
Personally I can not see a Space Marine being bothered by the flames (it is in the fluff) yet other characters would be, especially those in heavy woollen robes. Oh and hair really does not like flames!

Just noticed this (yes I know the post's half a year old)

Wool is actually very good at protecting against fire; it does not produce flames (it does smoulder), provides excellent insulation against heat, burns with little smoke, extinguishes itself and does not melt or drip. Wool is commonly used in fire resistant clothing (fire-fighters, stuntmen, etc.)

A character in heavy woollen robes would be fairly well protected against flames.

Umm, yeah... just had to say that...