Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My recent work.

Started by Aidan, February 08, 2010, 12:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidan

I haven't been logging onto the conclave much the last few months, though I've been as busy as ever with Inquisitor campaigns and models; but I figured I should get around to posting photos of my recent work.

I had the good fortune a few months ago to find -gathering dust in a corner of my preferred modelling hobby shop- a stack of little cardboard boxes with 54mm scale soldiers from various historic and contemporary armies of the time; the time being, I discovered, c1985. The boxes were still labeled 'made in West Germany!'. With the promise of new - and unique - modelling potential, I bought as many as I could comfortably afford and went to work.

Some of them are pictured below:

Well, with lots of hacking and chopping and sculpting and a few pieces from other ranges, I've transformed them into Inquisitor characters:

-----

Atto, a military veteran sniper in iceworld camo (I originally had him in pure white snow camo, like his namesake would have worn, but found it appeared too bland). His big gun is largely plasticard. The miniature I used as a base is an israeli soldier in winter gear during the 1980's invasion of Lebanon.

-----

Rajan Siri, an ex PDF soldier working as a witch-hound for my character Stefan Dester, who recently became an Inquisitor in the Ordo Hereticus. His miniature was originally a United-Statesian ;D infantryman.

-----

Frans, a young insurgent opposed to his planet's government - and by extention, the Imperium that it represents. He is armed with a tiny revolver and a whole heap of grenades. His model is constructed from parts from two miniatures - a teenaged Viet-Cong guerilla and a french officer from the first Indochina war (kinda ironic...).

-----

Sub-Commander Dirrick Thale, and officer in the famed Darcanin Grenadiers (famed in the extensive fluff background my gaming group uses, that is). He is set to resign his command once his homeworld - and therefore its military - is subsumed into the Imperium again; he is too proudly nationalist to serve Imperial overlords. His miniature was another Israeli soldier, but his laspistol can easily be identified as one of the GW inquisitor range (slightly modified to look like a Darcanin pattern), and his power sword comes from a 28mm steel legion officer (I use the steel legion as a base for my Darcanin Grenadiers in Warhammer 40k).

-----

Finally Lars Wernik, a guardsman from one of the Geirveld regiments; mostly consisting of people who by all rights shouldn't have had to be soldiers but did their best at it when they had to. They feature heavily in a specific part of 'our' sector, where they fight tyrannids (primarily genestealer hybrids) in the soggy rice paddies of an agri-world. This model was originally just going to be a mook (I titled it 'portrait of a Geirveld soldier'  :P), but I happened to be running a campaign at the time that featured that particular agri-world, so I brought him in as a charcter for two scenarios.

-----

That's all for the 25-year-old miniatures (though I have a few I have not photographed yet). There are still some other new models, though:

The new model of my old characters, Dirril (he'll be present in one of my old threads somewhere), now beginning a new existence after the end of the revolutionary movement he fought for. His model is partially greenstuff sculpted, but the most difficult parts - the hands and head - have existing bits as a base. I can't identify the hands, but the head is originally one from the bounty hunter model.

-----

Of course, there is Jyda Davenkee... a rouge trader. Davenkee herself insists on being called a 'merchant captain' and does not consider herself anything as glamorous as a rogue trader, possessing no writ allowing travel beyond the Imperium (not that that would stop her if she wanted to). Rather, she makes a profit running more mundane trade routes, particularly luxury goods and cosmetics between the planets of Darcania, Antamis and Zhuvos. At least, that is what is declared on her cargo manifests...

Obviously, her miniature is Steve Buddle's Lady Grigoryian, Which I liked so much I didn't want to change to much, except for replacing the knives belted to one of her thighs with a holstered pistol. 

-----

And finally, one of my favourites, the third incarnation of the indomitable Mauritus Jaykar. Having been seen as an Inquisitorial stormtrooper an a soldier for a legendary pro-Imperial rebel leader, Jaykar has now settled inot a mercenary life. He currently has a semi-permanent position as a lackey for the aforementioned Captain Davenkee.

Jaykar's model is built from a lot of pieces, but all originate in Games Workshop ranges. The legs are Castellan's, with bulkier pants (greenstuff), the torso is from the bounty hunter, with more practical armour, and the head is one of the Arbites Judge's with extensive greenstuff sculpting to give Jaykar his prominant jaw and flat nose. The arms are from a 40k ork, so the hands are a little large, although that doesn't look too out of place in the 'heroic' range. His gun is my impression of a 'bolt cycler' from the revised inquisitor armoury, constructed from the slugga the ork was holding along with an imperial guard grenade launcher. I played around with giving it a stock for a while, but in the end nothing seemed to look right to I left it out. The chainsword is from an old 40k chaos marine, with chaos iconography removed.

-----

Well, that's all for now, though I'll be putting some new pics up soon of my very first 100% self-sculpted model.

-Aidan.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Aidan on February 08, 2010, 12:22:22 AMOf course, there is Jyda Davenkee... a rouge trader.
Damn these travelling make-up salesmen and their nemeses! Spelling mistakes aside (I see you got it right the second time), quite nice work.

Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing many of them as being "very 40k" - nicely made and painted models, but the 25 year old ones just look far too "our world" to be immersed in 40k, and really needed more conversion to ground them in the GrimDarkTM Millennium.

Not all that sure about a seated character either...

However, looking forward to that sculpting of yours!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aidan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 08, 2010, 01:01:43 AM
Quote from: Aidan on February 08, 2010, 12:22:22 AMOf course, there is Jyda Davenkee... a rouge trader.
Damn these travelling make-up salesmen and their nemeses! Spelling mistakes aside (I see you got it right the second time), quite nice work.

Or did I? Closely read the paragraph about her.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 08, 2010, 01:01:43 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing many of them as being "very 40k" - nicely made and painted models, but the 25 year old ones just look far too "our world" to be immersed in 40k, and really needed more conversion to ground them in the GrimDarkTM Millennium.

Not all that sure about a seated character either...

However, looking forward to that sculpting of yours!

Criticism noted and accepted; Indeed, I've thought the exact same thing, that with the exception of Dirick Thale, the ones based on 25-year-old models are not in keeping with the GrimDark(TM) universe. But after a lot of debate with myself - and plans on how to modify them to suit said universe - I realised that the characters they represent aren't intended to be portrayed that way at all. Atto and Thale are both from cultures much unlike the Imperial one, while Wernik and Frans are all just fairly ordinary blokes and dress in a purely practical manner; beside my vast plethora of GrimDark(TM) models, I find they provide a reassuringly mundane contrast.

Or it could be that after 50something 'traditional' models I really wanted a break from the weird and wonderful.

Rajan Siri was the only one I thought needed work, being as he is an Inquisition operative - So in addition to beefing up his boots to the voluminous 40k style footgear, I sculpted a large aquila onto the back of his jacket, which I have (stupidly) not taken a photo of. And of course I gave him an excessively large gun to match.

- - - - -

The sculpt is nearly complete, though you might be disappointed to learn that he too is supposed to look like an incredibly ordinary guy - indeed, the character (not one of mine, but a friend's) is specifically supposed to be completely forgettable, which is one of his main talents. Nevertheless, I am quite happy with my dabble into scratch-building, so I will be posting pictures soon, and will be doing more in the future - next on the production line is an infinitely more traditionalist chaos sorceror...

Cheers,

-Aidan.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Aidan on February 08, 2010, 10:57:54 AMOr did I? Closely read the paragraph about her.
Ah, very silly.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles