Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Radical's Handbook

Started by N01H3r3, December 08, 2009, 11:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N01H3r3

I recently acquired the latest sourcebook for Dark Heresy, The Radical's Handbook. I've not been able to read it as swiftly or as thoroughly as I normally do with new sourcebooks, as I've been busy with other things, namely working on a forthcoming Rogue Trader sourcebook (as in, actual paid RPG writing; and no, I can't tell you what I'm working on).

And quite frankly, I'm impressed with every page so far. Chapter 3 in particular will be of interest to many Conclavers, Dark Heresy players or not, as it deals with Radical factions within the Inquisition - covering the well-known Xanthite, Recongregator and Istvaanian factions, as well as the previously unheard-of Libricarians (ultra-extremist Amalathians, who seek to ensure stability for the Imperium at any price, even if it means killing everyone who gets in their way), Ocularians (who seek knowledge of the future to guide the Imperium, callously manipulating and eliminating people on a massive scale to their own secretive ends), Oblationists (who believe that Chaos is utterly and irredeemably damning to wield, and who willingly damn themselves in order to save mankind, knowing that their souls are forfeit) and Phaenonites (denounced as Excommunicate Traitoris without exception, these dabblers in Maletek - the fusion of heretical technology and the powers of the warp - seek to shatter and rebuild the Imperium; their methods make extreme Xanthites look like puritans), along with a host of minor Radical movements, many of which are individuals rather than whole philosophical movements.

Quite frankly, that section alone, and the detail it gives, even if it is often quite specific to the Calixis Sector (sections on origins and past actions, current conspiracies, relations with other factions, and the nature of an Inquisitor of that faction's Acolytes and agents), is a solid mark in this book's favour. The sections on radical character options and archetypes (none of which are particularly pleasant), the dark arts (covering rituals, daemon weapons, daemonhosts, sorcery and some of the Maletek I mentioned above), consorting with Xenos, and a chapter on running a campaign themed around Radicalism all add up to something well worth the admittedly hefty price tag of £35.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

Kaled

My copy dropped onto my doormat today.  I've just had chance to have a look through it, and I have to say that I concur - the book is well worth the price tag and is packed with interesting background and great artwork.  Just flicking through the wargear and character sections I've already come up with ideas for a few new models, and I expect there'll be more to come as I read it properly.

I read the section on Recongregators in a bit more detail (although I still haven't read it fully), and am happy to see that there's little in there that clashes with the sourcebook I wrote (I've not had chance to see whether the same is true for the Istvaanians) - not that it really matters, EYHBTIAL after all.  We both placed the founding of the philosophy around the time of the Age of Apostasy - them just before, me just after; but that's easy enough to explain away.  I think I'll have to read it through in more detail before I go much further on the Amalathian Sourcebook that Van Helser and I have been (slowly) writing, as the book also contains some information on the puritan factions.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Van Helser

I was actually going to email you Dave about the Libricarians, but I'm glad to see you're spending lots of money on sourcebooks too!

Oh, and I haven't stopped work on the Amalathian book, just hit a creative speedbump.  I've got a long Christmas break arranged, so will have time to get some more done.

Kaled

Quote from: Van Helser on December 09, 2009, 07:40:47 PM
Oh, and I haven't stopped work on the Amalathian book, just hit a creative speedbump.
You're not the only one - I've hit something of a block myself.  I'm rather uninspired by most of the bits that still need doing - maybe I'll go back and revise some of the bits I've already done and it'll inspire me to do the rest...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shard

Thanks for the review, guys - I was just wondering whether to obtain the handbook or not! I'm sure it'll be of great use in some upcoming scenario or other I have planned.

Inquisitor Sargoth

I've not got it yet, though I read a bit in a store. I've been writing Oblationists for years, apparently.
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

Zephon

I haven't got it yet, but Disciples of the Dark Gods has a little section on some of the new factions, and a brief mention of Oblationists. I don't see Oblationist as particularly different from the Xanthite. I recall the mutant Inquisitor near the beginning of the Inquisitor rulebook, who expressed roughly the same philosophy.

Molotov

I bought the handbook today and I'm finding it really interesting reading, actually. It'll definitely help me with getting into the minds of some of my characters.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

N01H3r3

Quote from: Zephon on December 23, 2009, 10:51:56 PMI don't see Oblationist as particularly different from the Xanthite.
In terms of their methods, there really is little difference. The main distinction is one of belief - Xanthites believe that one of sufficiently strong will and conviction can use the tools of Chaos without becoming corrupted, while Oblationists believe that the tools of Chaos are utterly and irrevocably damning for all but that they must damn themselves to save mankind, and that only they can do this.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Ferran

Got mine today. Had a cursory glance and it looks good, though the 2 adverts in the back are a bit annoying.

N01H3r3

Quote from: Ferran on January 30, 2010, 02:21:05 PM
Got mine today. Had a cursory glance and it looks good, though the 2 adverts in the back are a bit annoying.
The books are written assuming that the adverts will be there from the start, so it's not like they're taking up space that could've been used for additional material.

Ferran

They're aesthetically displeasing.

Shard

Not a great justification for disliking a book which has some otherwise good content, is it?  ;)

Now that I have it I think it's full of some interesting stuff I'll definitely be using, especially the resources rules, alternative career ranks (including the ones they couldn't fit in the book that are downloadable from the website) and some of the equipment (such as the psychic brain gun which looks like it will be fun in a game!).

Ferran

Quote from: Shard on January 31, 2010, 02:47:28 PM
Not a great justification for disliking a book which has some otherwise good content, is it?  ;)

No not really, and I wouldn't go so far as to say I dislike the book on this basis either. The comment shouldn't be taken out of context.