Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

daemon weapon binding

Started by 1337inquisitor, February 14, 2010, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1337inquisitor

Can a daemon bind his own soul to a weapon making a daemonic weapon? If this is possible how long would it take, would it be like a lenghty ritual thing or just snap and it's in the weapon? Also could it be any weapon like a power or force weapon?
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

MarcoSkoll

Well... I'd argue that no daemonic ritual is "poof and it happens" - it could be hours, days or weeks of preparation before the final stages.

As for whether a daemon could bind its own soul to a weapon - even without the questions of why it would want to, I'd argue probably not. I'm no master of daemonic ceremonies though!

Of course, if a daemon really did want to bind itself to a weapon, it could get someone else to do it for them...

As far as power or force weapons - I imagine it has happened in the fluff, but I wouldn't really agree with it. Under the circumstances that it could happen, it should probably have very odd/nasty side effects.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

It strikes me that the binding ritual would probably twist the properties of the weapon sufficiently that a bound power/ force weapon would be little different to other daemon weapons. 

A daemon would need to be summoned in the first instance, but some of them are quite powerful spellcasters and probably *could* do it, although I agree with Marco that it would require a fairly extended ritual.  It strikes me as un-daemonic behaviour however - they generally seek their freedom and then run amok, and binding themselves to a specific item is akin to walking into a jail cell.  I suppose it could be part of an elaborate plot, or possible an attempt to hide.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Adlan

I think much of the ritual required is for binding an unwilling demon, so maybe a willing demon would be easier, but I expect there's also a lot of the ritual required to breach through to the warp.

1337inquisitor

well i thought it might be a good scenario let me tell what it would run like. Ok, a daemonhost is severly wounded from an earlier battle fought with inquisitor Somme Body and not wishing to be captured or sent back to the warp by said inquisitor, he and his cultists are going to bind his soul to a weapon and given to the leader of the cultists and later his soul will be released back into a more powerful form. that is the simple form of it.
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Kaled

Quote from: 1337inquisitor on February 15, 2010, 03:30:16 AM
a daemonhost is severly wounded from an earlier battle fought with inquisitor Somme Body and not wishing to be captured or sent back to the warp by said inquisitor
I can see the cultists not wanting the release the daemon from bondage, he'd no doubt turn around and slaughter them all - but the daemon would surely rather be free than bound into a fleshy or metal prison.  If the daemon were released from his bindings he'd be far more powerful and could fight the Inquisitor.  Or if he didn't think he could win he could just return home to the warp.  I can't see why the daemon would want to remain imprisoned in the mortal realm.

If the cultists wanted to move the daemon from a host body to a sword, then I'd say they'd have to prepare the ritual for binding it into the sword, then quickly release it from the bindings holding it in the host body and immediately bind him into a sword...  Perhaps it's possible, but very difficult with an Inquisitor getting in the way.  And if you want the daemon to be a willing participant then I think you need to work on its motivation.

If I were the daemon, I might well tell the cultists that I wanted to bind myself to the sword and that they should release me from the bindings that hold me in the host body...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

InquisitorHeidfeld

Regarding Power and force weapons...

A Daemon bound to a Force weapon would be like you trying to bridge some of the gaps in the National Grid.
Anytime a psyker picks up the weapon the daemon's "body" is flooded with foreign and (from its perspective) uncontrolled energy. It wouldn't take long for its essence to be entirely dispersed.

A Daemon bound to a power weapon has a slightly different problem... It might be OK for a while but as soon as the power field is switched off then it no longer has a weapon to be bound to (one could even argue that while the field is switched on it is constantly being renewed and therefore constantly forcing the Daemon out).
It is also important to remember that one of the characteristic traits of a Daemon Weapon is the consumption of souls - to be able to do that it cannot be hiding behind a power field, it must be in contact with the blood of the victim.

On the broader subject I would suggest that is impossible for a daemon to bind itself into a weapon, it could probably consecrate the weapon and "get into" it - though even that would probably require outside forces (Daemons are generally man sized or larger, swords are generally not)... But to bind it in would almost certainly require symbols and rituals performed outside while the daemon was wholly inside.

Why do the Daemon's plans require that it not return to the warp, in general I would anticipate anything with intelligence (lesser, certainly greater and absolutely prince) to have plans in place for their dissolution on any trip to the material - and, after all, what is a thousand years and a day to a being for whom time means nothing.
If he has cultists then it would not be impossible to have them loose the bindings on its host body, allowing the daemon to fully manifest. Though their anethema to the material world would make that of limited value.

TheNephew

The first reason I thought of when I read this was that a daemon might bind itself into a sword to be taken and carried by a character - Archaon and Abaddon spring to mind - so that the daemon may guide and corrupt them.
In this case, I would've thought the binding process would be far easier with the willing and probably knowledgable subject guiding the saps doing the ritual.

I'll have another read-through and add more later today.

Kaled

But in that case would the daemon want to be bound to that weapon and stuck there until released. Could it not just possess the weapon and manifest its powers without being bound? I can imagine a powerful daemon binding a lesser one into a weapon for the purpose of corrupting the bearer though...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

precinctomega

Yes, IMO, a daemon could bind itself to a device or tool.  I think justifying why it would do such a thing would be tricky, but a daemon that thought it would have the chance to ensnare many souls by doing so might be persuaded.

A daemon could, again, IMO, occupy a power or force weapon.  However, binding a daemon's essence to physical matter fundamentally changes the nature of such a weapon.  It's internal mechanisms cannot operate nor can it behave in its normal fashion.  So a possessed power sword would just be another daemon sword.

R.