Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dental Surgery=Productive Weekend

Started by Alyster Wick, February 15, 2010, 04:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumaki

oOOo! Buff!

very nice abdominal structure! the abs blend very well into the obliques, love it.

i also like the before and after shots of the greenstuff, may have to yoink that technique.

Alyster Wick

Another big weekend, I got to a location where I could spray paint and now have 9 models to paint up.  In addition to this I finally put the finishing touches on 4 other models.  Disclaimer, all the paint jobs are table-top quality since I'm trying to get a campaign off the ground at my local store.

Without too much explanation, here are the completed models:

Operative Cixe:

L'Enfant (I mispelled his name somehow on the base  :'( ):

Sha'El Hayte:

Ing Dryden:

Here's the hair job I've done on the Interrogator (took a bunch of pics, this was the best):

I've started painting some of the other models in this thread, but there's nothing to write home about.  Looking at these photos I've also realized a few things that I could do to improve the photo quality, so look forward to better pics than these in the future.

Also, any tips on painting black clothing?  I'm trying to find a good technique that doesn't make me look lazy with those large flat black areas. 

Thanks!

Adlan

Use very, very dark blues and an ever so slightly gray highlighting. and the Black washes for the deepest recesses.

Kaled

Highlighting with dark blue and then blue-grey gives a nice deep black. I also like black highlighted by adding light brown (Commando Khaki I think) - it looks less washed out than using grey IMHO.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Myriad

Now that is a badass daemonhost.  Much scarier than the usual.  I like Dryden's claw as well.

I've always painted wraiths by highlighting black using green, or yellow.  Just about any colour will give a better dark grey than using white, which generally gives a harsh contrast.  I'm thinking bronzed flesh (close to commando khaki, since Khaled mentions it) is good, but can't remember why.  If you wan't a less shiny black, a final very light drybrush is your friend.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Ferran

I think blacks depend on whatever effect you want from the model. Lately I've been using codex grey+black and also used to use brown+black a lot. Tried blue+black back in the day but wasn't a fan, maybe because my painting was less subtle than it could have been.

precinctomega

When it comes to highlighting black, for a deep, dark look, Space Wolves grey is your friend.  Use sparingly.

R.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 22, 2010, 04:03:32 AMDisclaimer, all the paint jobs are table-top quality...
Well, I'd be happy if my tabletop quality managed to be that good.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

QuoteWell, I'd be happy if my tabletop quality managed to be that good.

I guess the bigger problem would be the disparity between my tabletop quality and display pieces.  I also have a much higher expectation of myself with Inq, even tabletop qualitywise.  Regardless, with you sculpting and painting skills you have no reason to be jealous of me Marco.

That said, I've broken out the wet palette (thank you again whoever on the conclave told me how easy it was to make one) and hope to post 2 to 4 completed models before bed (I'm being ambitious).  I'll be trying out your suggestions on black clothing and we'll see how it goes.

Til then, anyone have suggestions on painting scars?  I have a few dinged up characters...

Myriad

One of my recent characters was quite heavily scarred, as shown here;

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/fDFzjQkmghy76lU_CtmYrg?feat=directlink

This was achieved using red washes followed by white drybrush, repeated two or three times until I was happy.  That'd work if you've got an uneven surface - this one was achieved using a mixture of white glue and superglue.  Otherwise you might try using a watered down white to give a band of light tissue.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 22, 2010, 10:50:06 PMI guess the bigger problem would be the disparity between my tabletop quality and display pieces.
Well, I don't really have a "display piece" skill level. I have "tabletop" and "good tabletop" - the best I can currently churn out might earn a 6 on CMON, but that might well be on the optimistic side. (I'll try finding out at some point though.)

QuoteAnyone have suggestions on painting scars?
There's a couple of suggestions on page 2: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2570007_PaintingFacesMasterclass.pdf

(If for whatever reason it won't load, you may need to log into the GW site.)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

QuoteWell, I don't really have a "display piece" skill level. I have "tabletop" and "good tabletop"

That describes my range as well, and the disparity between the two is marginal.  While I am putting time into these I'm also taking short cuts towards the end and rushing on some of the larger, more forgiving areas.

Also, thanks Marco and Myriad, those examples will come in very helpful (and thanks for reminding me how much I love that scarred up inquisitor of yours myriad, yoink!).

Anyway, as promised here are two freshly painted minis:

Magos Narcis (originally he was going to be a cowardly techpriest who was more comic relief, but as I was putting him together he started turning into my vision of what the zombie techpriest from my post in the Rules side of things may be).  First shot of him is not kind to the robes but it's in focus and shows the rest of the detail nicely:

And just because I took the time to paint the screen of the scanner you're all damn well going to look at it:

Next is the revamped Ash 1976 with new skin job (thinking of renaming him Ash 32X, we'll see):

There you go for now.  I have to say this is by far the most productive I've ever been and there's no end in site.  If you're all enjoying these models as much as I'm enjoying putting them together then get excited, I have parts for 21 more fully mapped out characters sitting around.  My painting skills are also coming back to me/improving by the day.  I haven't painted consistently in years so this practice is great.  Doing the lettering for the names around the bases is probably the best exercise in terms of control I've ever done.

Adlan

That Arco is KickArse! Nice convrsion, and the flamer really makes sense and coolness.

Molotov

I've never before seen an Arco-Flagellant with a ranged weapon, but I think it works exceptionally well. Looks ace!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Myriad

I like Narcis - classically spectral looking, with hardly a biological component in sight.  I can't quite work out what the techno arms holding but that adds to the whole mysterious tech priest vibe.