Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Nade Skanek aka aged sniper

Started by Dust King, August 05, 2009, 05:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dust King

Hey guys since before the conclave went down I've been working on my aged sniper, he now has a name and a paint job, what do you think?

He's equipped with a camoline cloak so this is my attempt at painting one

Inquisitor Cade

Nice job. I'm not going to say it's on a level with some of the sculpts we've seen, but it a considerably better job than I could do.
He almost looks like a ring wraith in that second picture, look at the silhouette! I'd add some sort of strap or chain across his chest, to hold the cloak on, it looks a bit like it is aboult to fly away in the wind.
I'm afraid that I'm not convinced by the rifle. I'd find a model rifle about the right size and convert it a bit. I may be able to help you there actually; I've got an old toy rifle of about the right style and size. Rubbish bendy plastic of course, but I recon it'd look pretty good. It's all yours if you want it.
*Insert token witticism*

RobSkib

I really like the model, it's very dynamic and has plenty of character (even if the cloak is a bit TA-DAAAAA!). I would agree with Cade on this one though - the rifle really brings the quality of the model down - even if you just scratch-built one out of bits of 40k weapons then that would make the whole model look ten times better. I find that it's quite a handy tip to add pouches and side-arms and things from existing models.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Aidan

Hi Dave,

Good work here - the paint job definitely improves him. His right hand has actually turned out okay, all things considered, and the cloak is very characterful. Good work, and looking forward to seeing this guy on the field. I'll almost certainly be tailoring the first scenario coming up with Haast's band to include a sniping role.

Cade's right, the cloak should be affixed somehow - you can blame me for overlooking that one earlier. It shouldn't be too hard to alter, though, just sculpt a rope or clasps or something so it looks more attached.

As for the rifle, well - it's pretty hard to sculpt a rifle from greenstuff, and yours can at least be identified as one. Maybe have another go, I've got lots of 40k weapons to cannibalise if you want to follow RobSkib's advice. Cade's offer is generous - but you might well be able to scrounge something up yourself, if your so inclined.

-Aidan.

Kaled

I agree with the others, he's nicely put together, especially his cloak (but it does need fastening around his neck).  The rifle is the only thing that lets it down.  If you can't find any bits to make one from, try getting some 2mm plasticard and filing that to shape for the stock and then add detail with bits or greenstuff.

So, what have you got planned for your next model?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Dust King

Hey thanks for the comments, I am pleased about how this models come out and I'll probably upload his background and profile later (He is a ex-vindicare assassin so it takes a bit of explaining and adding some significant flaws to his profile, but I'm fairly happy with what I've come up with)

Anyway I've added a clasp to his cloak so it looks a bit more practical

It's made out of a section of Jena Orechiel's hair plat, which looked the best of all the stuff I tried.

Thanks for the offer of the gun Cade but since I'm in New Zealand I don't think it would be worth the international postage.

Also I forgot to mention this in my original post but Aidan helped tidy the model up a bit. (As I'm woefully under-equipped for modelling. Cheers.

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: Dust King on August 09, 2009, 05:13:27 AMHe is a ex-vindicare assassin so it takes a bit of explaining

Certainly does.  ;)

No offence, but I get the impression that Imperial Assassin is a dead-end job in the most literal sense.  They're just too dangerous to be allowed to leave alive even if any flaws creep in which mean they aren't suitable for further use.  Could he not simply be a Guard veteran who had the role of sniper before retirement?  A self-trained bounty hunter/sharp shooter?  Any of these could be expert snipers and don't require one of the few hundred? thousand? Vindicare assassins across entire the galaxy to somehow be released from service.

An ex-Assassin is like an ex-Space Marine.  In the vast majority of cases, dead.

Alyster Wick

QuoteAn ex-Assassin is like an ex-Space Marine.  In the vast majority of cases, dead.

Have to echo Simeon here.  Not to say there aren't plenty of excuses to be made, but from a modeling perspective he doesn't seem to have the officio assasinorum (pardon spelling) look to him.  While there's an argument to be made that any respectable ex-vindicare wouldn't be running around in their fatigues (as they would certainly be marked for death on sight and want to blend in with the regular populace) it kind of goes against the whole "cool" factor. 

Not to mention from a character perspective this would leave him with a lot of emotional baggage before he even takes the field (having transitioned from regular citizen to noteworthy enough for the attention of the officio to falling from grace and being hunted to transitioning back to regular life).  In my opinion that's just not as fun as a fresher character (but I suppose this is all for another forum).

To get back on topic, the model looks great from a sculpting point of view (certainly better than anything I could muster) and evoked a lot of character.  I just happen to think the character evoked isn't a former vindicare  :-X

Hadriel Caine

no offence guys but while this is relevant to the character extensive analysis isn't really for this part of the forum!

it would, however, be great to see a full background and some stats here: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=4.0

:D
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Dust King

I've put his background and stats up in the rules section, hope it answers a few questions ;)

Hadriel Caine

cool! I'll go look at that now. I like the face on this guy, was that sculpted? the clasp on the cape makes it look much more realistic.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: Adam Cunis on August 10, 2009, 11:53:52 AM
I like the face on this guy, was that sculpted?

It's Von Castellan.  ;)

Aidan

Great work, Dave. Cunning use of spare bits, btw. Looking forward to seeing him slog through the Chileon rice paddies.