Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Jakart von Garrant

Started by Hadriel Caine, August 10, 2009, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

Thought it was about time I posted the stats and background of my main PC:
Lord Inquisitor Jakart Kallastin von Garrant

+++++++++++incoming message++++++++++ =][= ++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please confirm authority *********************** READING++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++ACCESS CONFIRMED+++++++WELCOME Lord Inquisitor ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

File downloading++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++COMPLETE:

Jakart von Garrant was born on an ice cap near the pole of the trade planet Jhanna (Ultima Segmentum). He is a powerful man for his age, potentially around three hundred years old, with a strong jaw, grizzled features and thick white hair, 'like the snow of fenris'[1]. Indeed many have commented on his lupine nature. Be it his nocturnal habits or immense stamina and patience. The Inquisitor was given his name 'Jakart' at the age of 12, until then he had presumably been known as 'boy'. The name comes from the Ork world Jakart (Segmentum Pacificus) and was granted in reference to the savage defence of his mentor, on a bi-annual pilgrimage to Valhalla, who had been set upon by off-duty guardsmen, sick of the sheltered lives of academics and priests.

Von Garrant took this a step further upon graduation, he enrolled at a law college in the spire of hive world Lastrati (Ultima Segmentum), dreaming to become a judge. His vast intellect, ruthlessness and insatiable appetite for work earned Jakart the careful watch of the planetary governor. The governor found Jakart to be exciting and challenging company and invited him to various high brow parties of decadence in his palace. What Jakart saw there appalled him, debauchery of every kind in the very house of the Emperor's representative. Jakart had long since taken to carrying basic protection and, reciting passages of law and scripture he took it upon himself to execute thirty six of the guests using an ornate revolver given to him as a gift by his mentor.

Perhaps unsurprisingly Jakart was found guilty of heresy and murder and was sentenced to death. Officially he was executed the next day. In reality he was rescued by an agent of the Ordo Pessimus [CLASSIFIED ++++++++++++ EXCOMMUNICATE TRATORIS ++++++++++]. Jakart presumably spent many years in training to become an Inquisitor. He finally surfaced well into his second century in the Vanaheim sector.

Jakart's deeds are too many and too varied to list here. It is enough to note that he now follows the code of the Recongregator faction of the Inquisition; he strictly follows the doctrine of the Emperor but believes the structure of the Imperium is flawed and too easily corrupted by those seeking to further their own ends.

He is practical, preferring to work with solid slug pistols and hard obsidian or xenos material blades but also superstitious, carrying his well-thumbed book of prayers and laws alongside his gorgeous, pearl inlaid Emperor's tarot deck.
Inquisitor Pyotr Machelor knows him as 'the Jack' or 'the Wolf'. To others he is simply 'J' or 'Jack'.
Jakart is a level headed, competent warrior with good leadership skills, in another life he would have been a fantastic military commander but he cannot turn his back on the corruption all around him and so is largely an outcast relying on his wits, Inquisitorial rosette and trusted agents to meet his ends.

[1] attributed to Yasobelle Lucrétia.
+++++++++++++++FILE ENDS+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jakart is left-handed.
WS   BS    S    T     I     Wp   Sg  Nv   LD Speed
89   76   73   66   96   72   72   73   78   7

Equipment: Power sword; Short sword; Lasgun (NP); Revolver (36 rounds); MIU bolt-pistol; Simulacrum Imperialis; Medi-pak; Psychon and spur glands; Carapace armour on chest, abdomen & groin; Flak armour on all other locations except head.

Special Abilities: Heroic; Furious assault; lightning reflexes.

Psychic Abilities: Choke; Storm of lightning.

NB: some of these skills are a bit cheesy now I look at them. I don't think I've ever even used lightning reflexes in a game so I'll edit it off the actual char sheet but I thought you should see the basic character!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Simeon Blackstar

Looks about as bad as Simeon started out too.  ;D

MarcoSkoll

Says a bit about relative power levels when all but one of his stats exceeds those of a character of mine I wrote as a powerful one (and even then, your guy's only under by 3 on that stat - Nerve). Mind you, there is a slightly longer skill list under my character's profile.

Also, Initiative 96 is Speed 6, not Speed 7, unless he's got some kind of boost I'm missing.

Either way, I should probably repost old profiles as well.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteJakart is left-handed.
WS   BS    S    T     I     Wp   Sg  Nv   LD Speed
89   76   73   66   96   72   72   73   78   7

Equipment: Power sword; Short sword; Lasgun (NP); Revolver (36 rounds); MIU bolt-pistol; Simulacrum Imperialis; Medi-pak; Psychon and spur glands; Carapace armour on chest, abdomen & groin; Flak armour on all other locations except head.

Special Abilities: Heroic; Furious assault; lightning reflexes.

Psychic Abilities: Choke; Storm of lightning.

I'm afraid I don't have much good to say about this. Maybe it is appropriate for your gaming group, but hardly any of his attributes are justified in the background. I'll start from the top.

Ws 89 is outrageous. 70 is expert, 80 is master, 90 is reserved for characters who obsessively train with their chosen weapon to the exclusion of more or less all else.
Bs 76 is reasonable for a special forces sniper or a space marine. Again it would require a high level of dedication to shooting and ranged combat.
The background describes him as a competent warrior. This to me would suggest a Ws and Bs of 50 odd, or maybe one of about 60 and the other about 40. I expect that you want him to be even better than this, but it is what 'competent' suggest
S 73 would require daily workouts of several hours to maintain. 50 is reasonable for a soldier.
T 66 isn't so bad, and fits with the background notes about stamina.
I 96 is huge, what is he an Eldar? An I in the 80's is high for an Inquisitor in the prime of his youth.
Wp, Sg, Nv and Ld are more restrained; high but understandably so as he is an Inquisitor. Interestingly a really high leadership is alluded to in the background, so I would boost it into the 80's.

I quite like the way he is over equipped. He clearly carries enough gear to deal with any circumstance. I'd suggest toning down the powersword to compensate for the over abundance of kit though, having a sword made out of unbreakable Xenos metal would tie in well with the background. An inquisitor with combat drugs is rare and for good reason, the drugs might make him a better fighter but fighting is not an Inquisitors primary role. He is first and foremost an investigator, and glands pumping drugs into him all the time may hinder that.

I'd drop heroic. In Inquisitor all the characters are heroes, the heroic skill means something more. I'd avoid lightning reflexes too, at least until a solid definition is arrived at. Furious assault ties in quite well with his supposed lupine nature though, so I'd keep that.

There is nothing in his background about him being a psyker. It seems that most Inquisitors are given powers just because they are inquisitors. Psykers are rare, and in the unlikely event that he is one the background about law school needs to go, and the black ships need to make an appearance.

All that rather negative stuff said, I do like the background. The references to both the well known ice planets was a little unsubtle, but his background in law and link to the governor are original and interesting. I'd question how he managed to kill 36 guests, wouldn't they run, or guard intervene? He would have to reload 6 times and be carrying as much ammunition as he now carried as an Inquisitor, plus would need a flawless one shot one kill ratio.

Well those are my thoughts. I hope I've been more constuctively critical than an outright rant.
*Insert token witticism*

Hadriel Caine

Good lots of replies!

I'd like to point out that this is NOT how I play the character. This is his original profile from way back when. I don't seem to be able to find is paper stats right now for some reason... Not been used at a tournament like this.

Although he did appear like this as an end of campaign boss some time back.

@ Marco (et al) my group tends to play more powerful games than is usually advised on the Conclave. Relative power values apply here! We tend to Role play the majority of our games and any actual conflicts are generally closely overseen by co-GMing. We had rules for slowing time and ridiculously high powered psychic battles. A game with 50 characters can take us an hour and a game with two can take 8 hours.

That said there is a reason Jakart isn't used much any more. He is dead. He became over powerful, through roleplaying, and so he kinda needed to be bumped off.

Leaving the sector in ruins and anarchy I might add. bloody recongregators.

The power sword does seem odd I agree. I can't ever remember using it as such. I think it was used as a holy weapon from some PDF I have...

The statistics fit my gaming group and are massively toned down for proper games.

oh yeh btw +1 speed is how we play heroic. just a house rule.

Background

So its a bit far fetched. I like the law school bit and have had trouble explaining the psychic powers. The idea is that nothing is certain. All of his life is rumour and conjecture. Not especially well conveyed in the above passage I know.

Maybe I should rewrite it, do a Jakart redux. hmmm...

Kaled noticed the huge number of casualties inflicted by Jakart. the truth is that either his efforts were exaggerated by the authorities or he had unrecognised aid.

also the guests were inebriated and in no especial frame of mind to notice any slaughter, let alone do anything about it.
I imagined that the pistol wasn't the only weapon used either. Although thats not well written either... sigh.
Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 11, 2009, 12:09:03 PM
I quite like the way he is over equipped. He clearly carries enough gear to deal with any circumstance. I'd suggest toning down the powersword to compensate for the over abundance of kit though, having a sword made out of unbreakable Xenos metal would tie in well with the background. An inquisitor with combat drugs is rare and for good reason, the drugs might make him a better fighter but fighting is not an Inquisitors primary role. He is first and foremost an investigator, and glands pumping drugs into him all the time may hinder that.

I'd drop heroic. In Inquisitor all the characters are heroes, the heroic skill means something more. I'd avoid lightning reflexes too, at least until a solid definition is arrived at. Furious assault ties in quite well with his supposed lupine nature though, so I'd keep that.

I agree with most of this. Lightning reflexes is long gone from his profile... Heroic is staying. I'm not going to defend it, I guess I just play the game differently. Let me explain. In my campaigns we are solely playing for the narrative. The Main characters tend to get heroic. Its just how it works. In a film Bruce Willis ALWAYS gets the drop on the enemy. So does Magnum PI, Braveheart, etc etc. It just makes killing goons smoother and less time consuming in general so we can get on with the plot.

I thought people would like furious assault here. I think perhaps I should drop the WS quite a lot as it seems to be serving the same character purpose as the special ability.

The glands weren't my design. Jakart was captured by a chaos cult for a while (some what like Picard and the Bord now I think about it) the implants were placed then. He's actually had them removed now at some personal expense. I should really organise all my notes here....

sorry about the rambling reply and jumble that is this character. I've been playing him, jumping back and forth some 300 years of his history for 6 years now so its all a bit confusing!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'