Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Should GW have made more =][= Space marines?

Started by Ferran, February 25, 2010, 12:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferran

Would it have been better for the game? By which I mean, would it have attracted more players/hobbyists?

I was just thinking last night about making a marine and remembering how much I loved the it when I first saw it, which was the case with many of the original and subsequent =][= releases for me. There was just something really appealing about extra big 40k miniatures.

Then I got to thinking about all those dedicated Spase Marine! collecters out there, how much they love their super warriors and often to the extent that they don't paint anything else (I used to be one until I was eventually bored almost to tears, and cringed at the thought of having to build/paint yet another). But for the people with spase marine! fever - how must they have felt when they saw the Artemis miniature for the first time? Would they have been more likely to start or stick with =][= if there had been another marine (despite in some cases buying the Artemis and discovering that building and painting it is actually a fairly complex undertaking), maybe a scout too, in the =][= release schedule?

greenstuff_gav

for the game? no, i don't think it would have been a good idea;*
Didn't Andy Hall once say don't expect 40k troops in 54mm, partially as its all about characters and also because its The Battle For The Emperors Soul?

rules wise, having such a powerful character will require a focused approach to the Roleplaying aspect of the game else it will not be fun for the other players.

from the background, having so many marines wandering around the galaxy would not make sense and be very difficult to explain

What i'd have liked would have been an upright marine and conversion packs of alternate shoulderpads.

*that said, i am attempting each of the first founding chapters in 54mm as a modelling project and attempting to find different, appropriate background to use them in Inquisitor  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Ferran

So you would have an upright marine instead of the running one?

Necris

Id prefer a marine aiming his bolter in a static pose, like standing in the face of the enemy and laying down the Emperors will with extreme prejudice

or one striding forward instead of the head long charge 
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ferran on February 25, 2010, 12:36:43 PMThere was just something really appealing about extra big 40k miniatures.
GW have always been firm on the "Inquisitor is not bigger 40k" line. While we are having all this discussion about "play the game your way", GW is only going to sell the game as they envision it.

Yes, they pretty much "had" to do a Space Marine for the Inquisitor range - but I don't think they were ever that interested in Inquisitor Space Marines. Think about it - their coverage of them was pretty minimal. We got the "Are Marines too powerful?" article, the fan written "Chaos Marine" article, and the odd picture of a nicely done marine.

With this apparent lack of interest, it's not surprising a second Marine (or conversion pack, beyond the helmets) didn't make it in amongst the few models they did overall.
If my numbers are right, I think they did a bit over 40 unique models (not including conversion sets), and few "classes" got more than one model. Those that got more than two models are rare and included the game central classes of the Inquisition and the Imperial Guard.

Given that Inquisitor was marketed to "Experienced Gamers", and given that Marine A isn't much different from Marine B posed in another way, I guess the expectation was that "The players can convert it".

So, I'm going to say no. While it might have attracted more players, if those players are going to treat it like "big 40k", I can't count that as an improvement.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ferran

Quote from: Necris on February 25, 2010, 06:00:45 PM
Id prefer a marine aiming his bolter in a static pose, like standing in the face of the enemy and laying down the Emperors will with extreme prejudice

or one striding forward instead of the head long charge 

I think it would have been nice if they'd released that marine, along with the existing one. That would have opened up a lot more possibilities for modelling marines, a static pose would have accepted heavy weapons far more readily (as well as just providing another look for tactical/assault variant).

thorian1995

Space Marines are awesome... but not really for =][=. They're just too hardcore lol. I played a game against ma mate and he owned 4 guys of my warband without dying.... lol