Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ideas for Inquisitor Scale Kroot Hound

Started by tzabazeus, March 02, 2010, 12:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzabazeus

I'll start by introducing myself, as i have not posted here before.

I'm from the great area called falkirk in central scotland, and love the diversity that inquisitor gives in being able to create detailed characters.

On to buisness. i would appreciate any ideas that you may have on creating an inquisitor scale kroot hound, as the topic suggests. the idea i have in my head, so you can see where im coming from, is that a kroot hound should be tall at the shoulder i.e should at least be at the waist height of a kroot ( I have a newfoundland dog whose shoulder is at my waist height, and im 6'3").

Model wise i envisioned using the new dark elf hydra for a base as i have one in my bits box, so the real help that i am asking for is for advice on creating a head for the hound.

Will post pictures up as soon as i have the body built, along with my other kroot model that i made some time ago, and eventually the vulture kindred that i have ordered the parts for today.

thanks, Niall.

Alyster Wick

I believe the hydra would be rather massive for a kroot hound.  Someone on the clave did a couple kroot hounds not too long ago if I'm not mistaken.  40K or fantasy scale beasties (chaos hounds etc) hold up surprisingly well as canines in 54mm scale (as a testament to how heroic the standard 28mm scale is).

Ferran

There's some kroot beast stuff in the Forge World range, not sure if that would fit the bill. Pretty expensive headswap whichever way you look at it. Maybe a model of some sort of giant prehistoric Terror Bird could be acquired for a base to convert.

wiki has Paraphysornis, Andalgalornis and Titanis listed under terrorbird but those names possibly won'y yield results on the miniature front.

Vermis

Quote from: tzabazeus on March 02, 2010, 12:10:57 AM
creating an inquisitor scale kroot hound

I love ya.

QuoteModel wise i envisioned using the new dark elf hydra for a base as i have one in my bits box, so the real help that i am asking for is for advice on creating a head for the hound.

Urrgh.  Well, I suppose the heads are the most offensive things about it. :P

Me, the first thing I thought of was if you could get your hands on a 54mm hyena (very unlikely) or an oversized 28-30mm hyena (slightly less unlikely).  Rackham had the OOP 'Korgan' that looks great as a base (leather straps, mohican mane and everything), but I dunno how often it pops up on places like ebay, or if it's big enough.

Hydra, Korgan or whatever: there might be a few old and new tzeentch-style heads you could use, but I don't know how you'd easily get any of them.  Otherwise I can't say better than pin some bits of armature wire in the thing, get a 40K kroothound for reference, and break out the putty.  The jaws are fairly simple crescents which should be relatively easy.  I'd say get those down and cured, and build up the details around them.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Heroka Vendile

Going a more scratch-built route, I'd say get two of the giant claw arms from the Chaos Spawn kit and stick them together and apply greenstuff to create the jaws and most of the head.

All things considered though, the DE War Hydra is a pretty damn good base model to use, even just slight alteration to one of the heads, add some back-quills and you're just about sorted.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

tzabazeus

Thanks for the ideas.

if i cant find a suitable terror bird beak then i'll probably have a go at sculpting over a spawn arm, if i can find one around. Now to clear the uni work off my desk and get building ;D

Niall

Adlan