Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Who are the crusaders?

Started by Valerius, August 18, 2009, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerius

Hello, this is my first post in the Conclave. I am desingning a character (for Inquisitor and/or Dark Heresy) based in the crusader archetype from the Witchunters codex. But I have realised that there isn´t any background information about the crusaders. ¿Who are they? I have listed some posibilities:

1- They are, like historic crusaders, warriors who enlist themselves into a crusade organized by the Eccesiarchy. They could be part of the Frateris Militia (I´m not sure if its still active or was disbanded) or something similar, but they seem a little too well armed for that. Also, their armors bear the symbol of the Inquisition.

2- They are elite guards working for either the Inquisition or the Ecclesiarchy. That fits their equiptment and also the mention of the equivalent "Pontifical Guards" (bodyguards for the apostate cardinal) in the C:WH appendix (I have the codex in Spanish, so I´m not sure if that is the exact name for them). However, in one case they will be "men at arms" as defined by the Decree Pasive, and in the other, there are other corps filling that role (Wards and Stormtroopers). I remember reading something about "inquisitorial guards" in the Eisenhorn trilogy (when they go to the inquisitorial palace, IIRC), but again, thats the spanish term tranlated. If someone remembers how are they called, it will be great.

3- They are some kind of knightly order devoted to defend the Imperium against heretics. Not a bad idea, but there isn´t anything to support that.

I know that there isn´t always a direct correspondence between wargame units and background elements, but I like the concept of a crusader knight who isn´t a space marine. Question is, are crusaders an organization or just people who take a vow to fight for the Emperor?

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Valerius on August 18, 2009, 04:24:24 PM
Hello, this is my first post in the Conclave. I am desingning a character (for Inquisitor and/or Dark Heresy) based in the crusader archetype from the Witchunters codex. But I have realised that there isn´t any background information about the crusaders. ¿Who are they? I have listed some posibilities:

1- They are, like historic crusaders, warriors who enlist themselves into a crusade organized by the Eccesiarchy. They could be part of the Frateris Militia (I´m not sure if its still active or was disbanded) or something similar, but they seem a little too well armed for that. Also, their armors bear the symbol of the Inquisition.

If my somewhat mixed memory for mid-Imperial history serves me right, the Frateris Militia were forced to disband after the Reign of Blood. But yes, they could still be men (and women) who enlist in holy crusades against the heretic.

Quote2- They are elite guards working for either the Inquisition or the Ecclesiarchy. That fits their equiptment and also the mention of the equivalent "Pontifical Guards" (bodyguards for the apostate cardinal) in the C:WH appendix (I have the codex in Spanish, so I´m not sure if that is the exact name for them). However, in one case they will be "men at arms" as defined by the Decree Pasive, and in the other, there are other corps filling that role (Wards and Stormtroopers). I remember reading something about "inquisitorial guards" in the Eisenhorn trilogy (when they go to the inquisitorial palace, IIRC), but again, thats the spanish term tranlated. If someone remembers how are they called, it will be great.

Entirely possible.

Quote3- They are some kind of knightly order devoted to defend the Imperium against heretics. Not a bad idea, but there isn´t anything to support that.

I know that there isn´t always a direct correspondence between wargame units and background elements, but I like the concept of a crusader knight who isn´t a space marine. Question is, are crusaders an organization or just people who take a vow to fight for the Emperor?

Another plausible idea.

The thing I think it always helps to remember with 40k is the sheer unimaginable scale of the Imperium and the variety contained within its boarders. Ultimately all of your suggestions above could be true; as there is such variety and disparity in traditions, culture, attitudes & operational practises from world to world and sector to sector, even among organisations such as the Adeptus Mechanicus and Ministorum
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Tullio

Could be anything really, which is what makes the archetype so fun. The Frateris Templars were forced to disband after the Heresy - there is a tacit understanding that at times the Frateris Militia may spontaneously rise up to fight the good fight, but strictly speaking the Ecclesiarchy can't do anything to maintain or command them.

Most plausible idea, in my opinion is that they're an ad-hoc organisation sponsored by some branch of the Imperium - likely the Inquisition

Tullio

Charax

Quote from: Valerius on August 18, 2009, 04:24:24 PMAlso, their armors bear the symbol of the Inquisition.

One minor point in regards to this: In the Witch Hunters codex they're used in the context of being Inquisitorial henchmen, it's entirely likely that Crusaders in general do not have Inquisition symbols adorning their armour, and the ones depicted by the 40K models have them to denote their position as servants of the Inquisition. I would hesitate before drawing any conclusions based on that part of the models.
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Kaled

I got the impression that the Crusader archetype in the codex is a quite general one, there to cover all manner of different organisations - hence I think you could develop any of your ideas into a character for the game.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shard

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on August 18, 2009, 11:56:34 PMIf my somewhat mixed memory for mid-Imperial history serves me right, the Frateris Militia were forced to disband after the Reign of Blood. But yes, they could still be men (and women) who enlist in holy crusades against the heretic.

The Frateris Militia are still around as ad-hoc auxiliary troops (they're not officially church soldiers, so they're not 'under arms'). You mean the Frateris Templars, who were the soldiers of the Ecclesiarchy up until the end of the Reign of Blood, when they were replaced by the Adepta Sororitas.

Valerius

Thank you for your answers. I think I'll make the character a knight without affiliation, someone who just steps up to defend the Imperium because it is the right thing to do. I may use another of my favourite tiny bits of information about the Inquisition, that one about the Stortroopers which says that there are families with a long history of service to the Inquisition. I want him to be a very positive character (with a "violent vigilante" touch to fit the setting), so responsability and family tradition are better motivations that just loyalty.

Gnaeus Conlitor

A Don Quixote type with a darker twist? Awesome.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Ferran

I've been thinking about this lately and I see it as a kind of mix of the 3 options you present. Mainly 1 & 3 - citizens/soldiers that at some point, for whatever reason, take a good look at the universe and decide upon this course of action. Also some of option 2 aswell - they can easily be recruited for the purpose, and are acting out of duty or for personal gain. After all, I'm almost certain that not all (if not most or many) of the original Christian Crusaders weren't acting from faith or principle, but rather acting professionally, or for any number of possible reasons for that matter.

I see many similarities between the Crusaders and the Redemption.

Valerius

Now, there is an answer in Dark Heresy: Ascension. Crusader Houses are organizations of ascetic warriors who serve the Inquisition. They choose their members among the Inquisition's acolytes and train them in their martial and spiritual arts. In two words, they are the Inquisition's knights.

I find the concept a little bland (it's OK, but not fabulous), but it fits well one of my characters. However, I already had another idea, in the form of an heroic member of the Frateris Militia: a normal citien who takes arms to defend the Imperium. He is still a "crusader", but another type. It will represent the positive aspects of the Imperium and the Faith, while the other will be a more monastic type.