Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dullmohawks WiP things and finished work

Started by Dullmohawk, March 07, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevermore2010

I think the best thing about your models are the GW standard of painting, hell i'll go there, i'd be happy to see your Eisenhorn conversion at a Golden Demon comp :). All your models have a simple and clean style, 10/10.
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

Myriad

Nice work on the techpriest.  The contrast between the pale skin and the robes is wery striking.  I like Gob too, since the mutant henchman quota needs meeting to maintain the grimdark feel of the game.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Dullmohawk

@Gav: Will do, good sir. I'm hoping I can take some tomorrow from all sides, so you can see the results. As you can see, I've added a few things myself, but it's still very much your miniature  ;)

@Nevermore: thanks man! I think that's the nicest anyone has ever said to me :) I'm currently trying to learn some new techniques, but I'll try to keep it simple and clean. I think the trick is to use flat, earth colours a lot :)

@Myriad: Indeed, the grimdark henchman-quota needs meeting!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Dullmohawk

Greetings fellow inquisitors,
Well, after a years absence I'm back in the 40k cloak-and-dagger game. I've not had much time since I last posted, finally getting my degree in History from the university and being busy with various other life-stuff.
And boy, have I been missing out. There are so many good project-logs on here that I need to catch up on, and I can't wait to get started.

On the modelling side of things, I've started making my Black Crusade RPG-groups characters(Yes, I'm in that part of 40k now...). I've snatched some pictures of them, while, still WiP, mind you.

Xal-Venrus, a Night Lords forsaken marine. Exiled from his warband, he's now living in the void, slowly building a small army of renegades around him, plotting revenge on his nostraman brothers:

I still need to do some freehand work on him, plus some gore on the chainaxe, but he's more or less finished.

Immerson, a Heretek and Xal-Venrus' closest ally. A traitor to the church of Mars, Immerson was rescued by the Night Lords mere minutes before his execution at the hands of the Adeptus were carried out. He now supplies Xal-Venrus with his vast knowledge of machines and the workings of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Some of you may recognize the Heretek from earlier in the plog here. He still needs alot of paint, but I'm keeping him in the red/black colours of the mechanicus for now.

Quintus, a renegade and Xal-Venrus' artificier. He has been the servant of Xal-Venrus for years before his master broke with the Night Lords warband. A companion of Xal-Venrus' he often runs errants for his master when dealing with other humans, imperial or not.

Still alot of work to do on this one. Mainly the leather of his body armour as it needs to look more weathered.

Khung Qu'ak, another renegade, this death-world resident was hired for life-time service by Quintus during an expedition to Khungs homeplanet in search for fuel and supplies. At first Quintus thought he'd only hired Khung as a guide for the duration of the stay, but it soon became evident that Khung had no intentions of leaving Quintus side again.

This one is not nearly done. He's a rebuild of the guardsman with the heavy stubber from the first post on the log. I realized that the heavy stubber was way too powerful, and so he was re-converted to a death world soldier-bodyguard for Quintus.

And that's it for now. I'm still looking for a model to represent the groups mutant-psyker, a female, but it's slow going.
We've only had a few sessions with the characters, and I'm thinking of incorporating a game of inquisitor into our story, or maybe using them as side-characters to a separate inquisitor campaign.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Dolnikan

The models are very good, there however is one tiny little thing, the eagle-winged skull on Xal-Venrus' chest, it seems likely to me that a Night Lord would at the very least not have repaired it throughout the ages.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Dullmohawk

Yeah, well, I've tried cutting it up....it's not really visible in the photos, though you can see small lines of boltgun metal in the gold of it. It's meant to be cracked.

Dolnikan

Now I see it, it is a bit hard to see in the pictures but I'm sure that in real life it will be much clearer.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Van Helser

Really glad to see that Heretek finished - the simple change from a hood to a balaclava totally changes the tone of the model to something really dark. Perfect in this case!

The Night Lord looks promising. I think some more weathering wouldn't be amiss for an outcast like he.

Ruaridh

Dullmohawk

Update time!
Having been in a painting frenzy all week I've managed to finish a few more characters and grunts. I've tried out a few different techniques, and I'd like to run them by you lot before I dive into any more (mis)adventures:

First up is my Daemon Host. I wanted to make it look like he was about to unleash a psychic bolt at someone unfortunate enough to draw his attention, and so I decided to try out some lighting with his eyes:

I'm semi-happy with the result. It looks a bit like a blue and white Kato-mask, but not too bad (mainly thanks to the excellent sculp of the face...).

I've also finished my death-world guardsman. For the skin-tone I've undercoated him black first, then lightly sprayed him for the top angels with a white undercoat, creating a natural highlight, and then used mainly washes instead of base paints. The skin-tone for instance, was created with two washes of ogryn flesh (or should I say, the late ogryn flesh...).

Next in the line is my acolyte. He's mainly made up from the devotee malicant model, with a few bits and pieces from other kits stuck on. The hand is actually a warhammer fantasy zombie left-over...I was quite surprised by the fact that it actually fits quite well, even though it looks a bit crisp and dry-ish. I haven't really thought about what sort of character he'll end up as, but he reminds me a bit of a young With-Hunter Tyrus, so he'll most likely end up as a monodominant interrogator.

Last up is my gang of mobsters...a quick paint-job, and there we go, gun-fodder is served. Not much to say here that hasn't already been covered by many excellent logs on the 'clave!

Oh, and I think I promised Gav some more pictures of his fantastic Tech-adept in all her glory:

As for now, I'm frantically trying to assemble the skyshield landing pad, as it's going to be used for a game of inquisitor tomorrow. It'll be my first game in over a year, so we'll be taking it slow and using stock characters with slight modifications. I'll try a snap some photos, maybe even write up a small report ::)

Dolnikan

Great models all around, the daemonhost achieves the effect you intended, it is very threatening.

I really like the acolyte, he has a lot of character, perhaps he suffered a particularly nasty attack on his hand?

Mike Blake

Wonderful, wonderful stuff! Excellent conversions and painting. My one very, very minor caveat - the tufts. They seem to be creeping in everywhere on figure bases (mea culpa, mine too  ;) ) nowadays and can look good  but they don't work on these to my eye - too vegetal or something when what's needed is a piece of leaking pipe?

Dullmohawk

Dolnikan: Thanks, I'm very pleased with him. I'm thinking he might have a wasting disease of some sort, one that's slowly but surely crippeling him, withering his flesh as it goes.

Mike: Yeah, I know, I might have gone over the top on the blasted grass... I can't help it, the bases were just so dull and plain. I'll promise to put a bit more effort into it in the future. The damned grass is just such an easy fix.

Dullmohawk

Oh, and I did get around to GM'ing a GM vs. player game today, though in the heat of battle for the Emperors soul I forgot to take any pictures, so here's a few mood-setters from the deployment phase:

The scenario we ran was just the first of the "Death of an Angel" conspiracy book, with Andy taking on the role of Tyrus and Sgt. Stone facing down a gang of mutants. It was the perfect scenario to get us both back in the game, as it had a bit of everything. I'm planning to run the same scenario for another mate sometime next week, exchanging the characters. Then we should have the rules down and we can proceed with some more challenging actions.

Dolnikan

It looks interesting, the models look great as far as I can see. What are the round things on the board?

Mike Blake