Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dullmohawks WiP things and finished work

Started by Dullmohawk, March 07, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

They look like the tubs from Lush to me...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dullmohawk

They are indeed the tubs from Lush. My girlfriend is an addict of their products, and thus saves the black pots for their value-scheme... they make decent crates/rubbish around the battlefield.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Dullmohawk

Expanding my NPC's: Round 1 "WiP's"

I've been following the likes of Brother Brimstone and Van Helser closely in here for some time, and as you may have noticed I've also invested some money in our russian model maker. I think NPC's are an important part of Inquisitor, and in my opinion large games with plenty of grunts to hit the dirt should be a part of (almost) every campaign. I mean, who doesn't like watching the deamon you just failed to stop entering real-space pick up a random guy from the local PDF and squishing him real tight? It's a hassle with all the extra paperwork, but I think my players will be very happy to have someone else to shred for a change.
Anywho, I bought some more russian plastics and set to work with them. Here's what came out of it as of last night:

PDF/SSA enforcer squad

They're just the polar troops with a few headswaps. The commander was given a rouge trader era laspistol instead of the plasma-like weapon he was toting when he came out fo the box.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the guy with the sniper rifle. I'm thinking of replacing it with a normal lasgun without the big sights, but I'll have to cast one up then, as I'm running low on lasweapons in my bits box.

I also followed Van Helsers idea of the pirate-mutants, and copied one of his models, as I had the bits and thought it looked really cool. The rest sort of just went from there, with me using pretty much all my remaining mutant bits (which wasn't that many to begin with as you can probably tell...).

Right, now I just need to add the last GS details, like fillings and hair, and they should be all set for painting and then gaming!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Dolnikan

They look good and I agree, NPC's that can die horribly are always a fun thing to add. The guy with the flamethrower looks a bit like he likes burning epopel a bit too much in that picture however.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Van Helser

Excellent use of everyone's favourite cheap grunts.  Must admit I hadn't considered head swaps for the Polar Troops - I might just have to now.

Ruaridh

Dullmohawk

Time for a small reboot.

I've been following Van Helser's Carthaxian Inquisitor blogging for quite some time now, and I must admit that it has me itching to get back into the game. Not only is the blog well written, it's also full of great ideas and some mouth watering pictures of models. If any of you reading this haven't checked it out, be sure to do so here: http://thecarthaxianinq.blogspot.dk/

For my new warband I haven't really spent much time on background before getting into building. I enjoy the modelling most, and usually I come up with the story after I'm finished. In the case of Mervyn Reuter, the lead character of the warband, I came up with the character as I started building him. The rest of the warband sort of fell into place around him.

Without further ado, here's the WIP of Reuter, as he currently stands/hunches:

Reuter is well into his 200's years standard. Wizened and hunched, he still stands tall, his body augmented with an exo-frame under his heavy robes to support his failing, bony frame. The only thing keeping him alive, apart from a vast quantity of juvenants, is his insatiable thirst for esoteric knowledge. A well known heretic, Reuter has long been on the Inquisitions list of most wanted criminals in the sector. His long list of crimes include ritual murder, apostasy, trafficking of illegal data and contact with xenos lifeforms...
Trained as a librarian in the vast halls of the Librarium Herodotus on Pillarus Prime the young Mervyn Reuter did not make much note of himself in his first years of service, aside for his dedication and almost manical obession with his work. Little remain of his file in the databanks of the Librariums staff, most of it having been erased by a large purge the year following his disappearance. However, the file paints a picture of a young man reasonably skilled in the arts of datakeeping and restoration work. Among the scraps of information is a notice from a sub-librarius to the Librarius Prime of the Librarium Herodotus, detailing a distrubing encounter with Reuter in the lowest levels of the Librarium crypts.
It seems that Reuter was found by the sub-librarius wandering seemingly aimless among the piles of books and dataslates of the pre-imperial section, not wearing his rebreather and talking to himself in incohesive sentences that didn't make much sense to the sub-librarius.

A few weeks later Mervyn Reuter was gone.
And so was several texts and manuscripts from both the pre-imperial section and the restricted section. Whether or not Reuter was the culprit behind the dissapearance was hard to say at the time, as there was no traces left behind for the investigators sent by the local arbites precint to follow, but later events would prove that not only had Reuter taken the volumes, he had also made good use of the knowledge found in them while he was still working at the Librarium Herodotus.

And that's it for now. I'm still working on it, but the long and short of it is that Reuter is obsessed with knowledge, especially the forbidden kind.
I know, a bad guy who's a librarian, not that scary, but in a universe where knowledge is power, I think it makes sense. The model is unarmed, relying purely on the protection of his 'creations'. I'm still pondering making some better augmetic eyes for him, but my skills are limited and I doubt I can come up with something better anyway.
I still need to fill in his neck with GS and do his base, but otherwise I'm fairly satisfied with the model.

For protection Reuter has been dabbling in both forbidden fleshwork of pre-imperial design and the summoning of diabolic aid from the warp, and so he's accompanied by Cambyses the Daemonhost and Bod, an augmented slave-warrior, built by Reuter after schematics found in his years as a Librarius at Herodotus:

I've still to come up with some good background on how he made these two guys, but I have a few ideas.
And that's it for now. I'll leave you with a picture of the whole gang, including Reuters servo-skull, Nestor:

DapperAnarchist

Is Reuter partially named after Mervyn Peake? The big broad mantle/cloak feels very Gormenghast to me - which is an excellent thing.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dullmohawk

Yes, his name is very much a merge. Gormenghast was the main inspiration for the Librarium Herodotus, at least in my mind, and Reuter is somewhat a mix of different characters temperament. Like a twisted mix of Dr.Prunesquallor and Steerpike.

greenstuff_gav

looks great; proper blanchian!
you gonna bulk out where the cloak meets his shoulders? from the pic looks like could use a little padding out

also, where's Bod from? looks kinda like a Dark Age mini but i can't place him
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Dullmohawk

I think he's a demon-spawn from Enigma, but he's been in my bitsbox for so long I don't remember :P
There will be some padding out, but not too much. I've covered the gap between cloak and shoulder with GS, but the thought was to make it look like part of the exo-frame, henche the bulky projector/searchlight on the 'shoulder'.

Van Helser

Quote from: Dullmohawk on May 16, 2015, 08:07:33 PM
I've been following Van Helser's Carthaxian Inquisitor blogging for quite some time now, and I must admit that it has me itching to get back into the game. Not only is the blog well written, it's also full of great ideas and some mouth watering pictures of models. If any of you reading this haven't checked it out, be sure to do so here: http://thecarthaxianinq.blogspot.dk/

Glad to know it's being read and recommended!

I really like Bod. If that is the Enigma scout-demon I may have to track one down soon. The stalking pose is excellent. I agree with Gav that some padding out, or extension downwards of the fur mantle on Reuters would be a good thing. My favourite is the daemonhost. Good combination of parts for something pretty original. I assume the scout-demon's head ended up on that one?

Ruaridh

Dullmohawk

Indeed it is! In fact I think most of my gaming group are regular followers.
You assume correctly! The enigma model comes with two different heads, and although it is of a slightly smaller build they fit GW's models well enough.
I hadn't thought of extendning the fur mantle down. I'm not sure why, but it hadn't ocurred to me. I'll look into it!

Alyster Wick

Yeah, that enigma scout is top notch. I've eyeballed the model for a few years now but I think you just convinced me to invest. What you've done with it is fantastic, really great construct you have there. Great parts combo. Is the buzz saw arm from mega armored nobz? Also great pose on the daemon host. The neck looks a little awkward (could use some bulking) but the overall flow of the model is great.

For the main baddie, I love the concept, but I'd urge you to reexamine the execution. Try using some GS to make a bulky fur around him that fits the contour of the model more. As it stands it just looks like a little too much. The model could work, but it'd be a little cartoony. You're just so close to an interesting and unique build, why stop now? Also I encourage you to retry the eyes. Just pop off the ones you have and set them to the side. If you give it a try and you don't like the new results the old eyes should glue back on really easily. They'll already by fitted to the contours of the face.

Anyway, huge fan of what you've done with every model here, looking forward to seeing your modifications and ultimate paint jobs.

Dullmohawk

The buzz saw arm is actually from the regular nobz sprue. I've had it for ages, but never really got around to using it. The other Simeon claw is destined for something else...

I agree with the GS bulking of Reuter, and I'm trying my hand on it now. It looks decent for now, but I find it hard to get the same texture as the rest of the mantle. Any tips or advice?

Kaled

What about having things hanging from the carapace (exo-frame)? The usual collection of seals, skulls, icons etc - it could be an interesting look with all sorts of paraphernalia hanging around his shoulders.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat