Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dullmohawks WiP things and finished work

Started by Dullmohawk, March 07, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

I really like this nefarious duo. The Bloodhound head would look great painted up off-colour as a mutie head, and I think the re-sculpting of the eyes is a great touch. How about filing down the nose and drilling a couple of holes for nostrils? Would round off the scabrous look I think.

The gunslinger does look he's going for his pistol. It's a shame that most of the guns in the range were oversized, as it does make holster placement difficult when you want to combine different arms, torsos and legs.

The new greenstuff on the Inquisitor is a big improvement. His sleeve looks a lot more like the other.

And to round things off, that looks like a great selection of terrain to fight over. The graveyard is an especially cool area for combat. Lots of cover to run between while shooting from the hip.

Ruaridh

Dullmohawk

Thanks Ruaridh, I'll give the nose-job a ponder. I think a couple of slits would suit him better than holes though. I dunno, but you've given me a few ideas to try out!

I've finished up my first batch of terrain! Went out to get the whole thing sprayed today, had other plans but decided to get cracking at the buildings instead. I got everything lined up for a short photo session this afternoon, miniatures are there for scale reference:

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the result, considering the relativly small amount of time and effort (not to mention money) I've put into it. I just need to finish up the graveyard next, and then I'll be ready for the first two or three games.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Cortez

The terrain looks great, I really must get round to slapping some paint on the terrain I made years ago.

Dullmohawk

Indeed you must! It's extremly rewarding once done, plus it's more fun playing with painted terrain than just bare old cardboard boxes...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

MarcoSkoll

I have to say much the same as Cortez! I really must actually get around to using all of that interesting shaped packaging I've been saving up. It wouldn't even be that much work, what with the cheap airbrush I've got around these days. (Nowhere near the required quality for fancy painting, but it did make basecoating the Sentinel preposterously quick and easy).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

The terrain is looking really good. What type of paint did you use? As a guess, did you do simple base coats for most, one highlight in that color, then stipple on rust/metal depending on the type? With a light ink (or watered down paint) coat on some parts?

I'd be particularly interested in the off-yellowish color you used. I have a terrible eye for colors when it comes to buildings, all of yours look great. Really impressive (I'm going to steal your color schemes).

Also, Marco, does the air brush end up being worth it? It doesn't melt styrofoam, correct? I'm thinking I should pick one up and save myself the time (which could be better spent converting/painting minis, a process that really shouldn't use shortcuts).

Aurelius

Well look at that - a pile of scrap and boxes turned into some great looking terrain! It think you have done a really good job on these, and I can't wait to see the graveyard.
Your photos of the terrain a very reminiscent of the old WD battle report, and remember how inspirational that was?

MarcoSkoll

@Alyster Wick: With a compressor, it's obviously just paint plus air - with canned propellant... well, you should check what is actually in the can, but it's usually just butane, which fortunately isn't one of the (many) things that will dissolve polystyrene.

As far as value, yes. As it works out, two types of airbrush are usually worth it - the really cheap ones and the really expensive ones. The cheap ones will do the job of being whatever colour spray can you want (e.g. fairly crude basecoating work), the expensive ones are actually up to all of the really fancy painting techniques (e.g. silky highlights and all that).
Any mid-priced ones are overpriced for the former task and not good enough for the latter.

If you've got enough to work on, you go about as cheap as you can find and you're not expecting too much of it, I'd recommend one.

GW's =I= articles

Dullmohawk

Thanks for all the nice words guys, it's always good to hear that someone is watching.

@alyster wick: I used a very cheap black primer for all of it. Once dry, I used an army painter red and demonic yellow, plus a psc primer of dunkelgelb for the silos. The trick of the army painter sprays is to keep your distance when applying them, so they only leave a light coat, otherwise they get VERY red or VERY yellow.
The whole thing was washed with a mix of Vallejo smoke, water and dishwasher fluid. Then highlighted along everything else. The buildings walls were given a coat of dark brown, followed by a coat of middlestone, also Vallejo. To finish the whole thing off I applied a liberal amount of dark grey, metal and Ryza rust with a sponge.

@marco: I imagine you could do this amount of terrain in just about half the time it took me, if you have an airbrush. Even if the quality is somewhat lacking. You should totally get started, it would be cool with some more 54mm terrain threads in here!

Dullmohawk

I finished the paintjob on a few of the characters, and thought I might as well put them up in here while I have time to spare. My goal is to work as much as I can on the Inquisitor stuff over the summer vacation, as long as the weather isn't improving in my native part of Denmark. We've had rain and what feels like 7 degrees for the past two weeks, and it doesn't look like it'll be any better for the next few week either. So instead of hanging out in the sun, I'll be inside, working on my 54mm stuff!

I finished up the rest of the GS work on the Gunslinger/Rogue character, and even came up with a bit of background for him and a name. I envision him as an ex-ganger from a hive on a fairly low-tech world, somewhere on the fringe of Imperial space. This is reflected in the lack of las weapons, or any other kind of tech for that matter, on the model. He's only armed with the dual revolvers and a pair of knives. I'm not sure if it's visible on the photos, but I sculpted the harness for his guns under his vest, which carries the gangmark on it's back. The KISS-like makeup is supposed to look like the sort of war-paint I imagine being used by the scum of the lowest parts of the hive.
He'll have the 'Fast Draw' and 'Gunfighter' special abilities, and a BS in the high 50's or low 60's to mark him out as a character, who's reliance on his fast hands and good aim has got him through his 20's in one piece. I suppose he'll be lacking in toughness and sagacity, due to the relative lack of vitamins and scholam facilities of the lowest parts of the hive.
I've named him Thasz, and painted him somewhat scruffy looking to match his background.

I finished up the nefarious duo as well, sticking to a limited palette of military colours for their gear and clothes, hoping to reflect the fact that it's old second-hand Guard/PDF issued stuff, scrounged by their master and handed out to them at each mission. Worn, but servicable and of standard Imperial quality (whatever that means!). I was initially going to hack off Noph's nose, but decided against it, and tried my hand at making his fingers webbed, using GS. It didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but a wash of red over the skin makes it stand out, even though it's not that visible in the photos.
Gideon was fairly straight, and I based the scheme on the Toothpick Murke guide in the old Exterminatus magazine. I really liked the warpaint on the model, and thought I did a decent job of it as well.

Last but not least, I finished painting up a figure I'd made up over a year ago, but never got around to. He's supposed to be a bodyguard-type for my Rogue Trader (a member of the illustrious House Ecale), but I've yet to come up with a name and background for him.

I have quite a few models in the pipeline yet, so plenty of work to do over the coming weeks!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dullmohawk on June 24, 2015, 10:33:00 AMI've yet to come up with a name and background for him.
The name "Aedelmaer Angelos" sounds good to me. It's got the right ring to be shouted defiantly at his foes.

(Better than the time I suggested "Sir Lord Toff Posh Poncington-Toff" to Gav, anyway).

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Love the face paint. They look like they're from a 1980's glam rock tribute band. The Body Guard is really nice though! I love that pose and that BEARD!  Where's the shotgun from anyway?

Van Helser

Looking good. My favourite thing about Noph and Bann is that they are both cool models, but they work so well as a duo. There's definitely an argument going on between them. Makes me want to build a complementary warband.

The use of facepaint is great. It's something that I've been a bit scared to try, as I worry that it would come off too cartoonish. You've achieved something subtle and menacing however.

I have also noticed that in the terrain pics I think I can see Precint Omega's schola truant. Did you snag that on ebay?

Quote from: Lord Borak on June 25, 2015, 07:58:47 AM
Love the face paint. They look like they're from a 1980's glam rock tribute band. The Body Guard is really nice though! I love that pose and that BEARD!  Where's the shotgun from anyway?

I think that gun comes from the Kroot accessory sprue. Could be wrong.

Ruaridh