Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dullmohawks WiP things and finished work

Started by Dullmohawk, March 07, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dullmohawk

Hi all,
A few days ago I dug out some of my old inquisitor models and bits. They've been lying dormant ever since the game came out, and I never really got around to gaming with them. They did however get a horrible paintjob, so the first thing I did was to drop it all into a bowl of spirits. This is what it all looked like when I was done:

I then proceeded to put it all together again. I came up with a few known characters from the rulebook, namely Josef and Devlan. I can see that people in here usually comes up with their own characters, but I thought I might start off with a few of the sample ones to get me going. Yeh, I'm a true noob, but I hope that it'll come with time.
Here's some pictures:

They still need a fleshwash and Josef needs some scrippling on all the purity-scrolls, but I'm pretty please for now. All I need is just two more characters, and I'm ready to GM my first game at the local club.
Hope you like 'em! (and that I'm posting these the right place on the forum...)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Alyster Wick

QuoteHope you like 'em! (and that I'm posting these the right place on the forum...)

This is indeed the right place to post.  While they are both stock models I must say that you've done them both great justice with your paintjobs.  Really solid work, looking forward to seeing what you can do when you branch out.

psycho

love emfor canon characters they look awesome.....and i like the way youve done Josefs robes mate....much better than my bloody attempt at the Bone coloured ones.....kerby

Dullmohawk

Cheers guys, and thanks for the kind comments :)

As for Josefs robes I figured that I just wasn't good enough to make them exactly like on the box, so I came up with an alternative. It's Vallejo's Russian Green with a badab-black wash and a mix of russian green and rotting flesh highlight.
The pictures are a bit dark, tho.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Kaled

Nice work - especially Josef; it's a nice colour scheme you've chosen.

So, who's next?  Are you going to have a go at converting the next one?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

There's a lot you can do with the bits you have left! You look like you know how to handle a conversion, so see if you can get Gruss' head to fit on Eisenhorns body - I havn't seen that combo before and it'd be a cool mix-up from just building standard gruss/eisenhorn models.

For character creation, just try dry fitting random pieces together and seeing what looks cool - let the model build the character!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Myriad

I agree these are a good start, with the black marks on Josef's forehead a nice touch.

You've certainly got lots of parts left to play with.  I'd second RobSkib's suggestion of trying a few combinations to see what looks good.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Dullmohawk

Well, I tried fitting the Gruss head on the Eisenhorn torso, but no dice, and I hadn't the stomach to ruin the nice collar to get it right :P

Anyways, I went with a classic combination of the parts I had:

I have yet to come up with a name for him, let alone a character-sheet. Bit I quite like the was he looks like he's striding forwards, picking off shots with his customized stub-pistol.

Next up was one of the most extensive conversions I've ever done on a 54mm model.
I received the Barbaretta model a few days ago, and decided that I didn't like the charging posture of it. I didn't like it at all. In fact, in my opinion, one doesn't survive for long in the arbites charging ahead of everyone. So I cut everything to pieces. And after much trouble I came up with Inya Hagenauer, ex-guard turned enforcer turned inquisitorial henchwoman:

As you all can see, the greenstuffing is not completely solid, and I still have a lot to learn about sculpting, but I'm fairly pleased with the result. True to word, the model acutally made itself once I got started on it. The laspistol is maybe the only thing I would change. I don't like it much, and I'm thinking of arming her only with the shotgun. We'll see, I guess.

Adlan

Very Nice. I actually like the Laspistol. Elegently Simplistic.

Dullmohawk

Thanks, I've decided to keep the laspistol, and I even took the weapon building a bit further, as you are about to see.

I wanted a guard-vet in my band, and I wanted him to pack some firepower.
The figure I've used as a base is sgt.Stone, since I really like his grizzled and rugged look. I decided that he would be lugging a heavy stubber around, heavily inspired by Qus, a rather anonymous character from the Eisenhorn-novels.
As heavy stubbers in 54mm scale don't come easy(in fact, I believe that they don't come at all...) I build my own.
Using a nice big block cut from a cavalry slotta as the base, with plastic card making up the sides, i found all kinds of odd bits and pieces, and this is what came out of it in the end:

First of all, sorry for the blurry pictures, I used my crappy webcam, but I'll get better pics up as soon as my trusty camera returns from the field of battle in southern Jutland tomorrow.
Other than the heavy stubber, he's sporting a large knife and stone's pistol.
I haven't made up a name or a bio from him yet, but it'll come as I get to painting him.

Dullmohawk

and this would be the better pictures of the guardsman:

and I finally finished painting my Inquisitor and enforcer Inya + K-9

Adlan

I like the Solider, but the Stubber looks really unnaturally boxy. If the front was angled a bit, the corner cut off, would be an easy improvement.

But his extra's and gear looks awesome. Why does he have someone's hand?

Inquisitor Cade

Yeah the heavy stubber is far too large, but your painting is so fantastic that I doubt anyone will notice. I'd shift the barrel up as high as it will go on the box, then cut it off below that. I'd put the scope on the top too, if at the side so it can see past the forward handle.
*Insert token witticism*

Alyster Wick

I'm officially angry with you for putting together stock models when you can clearly make awesome conversions.

Seriously though, beastly heavy stubber and your paint jobs continue to be enviable.  I'm also yoinking your white paper photography background idea.

Dullmohawk

thanks guys ;D

I know the stubber is a bit...wee big, but I figured that in the darkness of the far future, where everyone is denied cake and all women with anything less than a c-cup is thrown on bonfires to keep the golden throne warm and a badger named Stephen happy, absurdly large weapons was the way to go. Consider this one a tester and your protests duly noted for the next one :)

also, the scope on the side of the thing is not meant to be a scope, it's more like a rangefinder or targeter...I'll try some different things to make it look less, well, scoped.

As for the hand, I figured that after surviving five different hellish warzones, the poor man has become somewhat unhinged, and to say the least, extremely superstitious. The hand is taken as a good luck token from a dead Gravelux chieftain, which he bested in single "hand-to-hand" combat (pardon the bad pun). The Gravelux are mighty tall humanoids, with pale skin and nasty eating habits to boot. The imperial campaign there lasted 3 years, and was only stopped when the Gravelux disappeared by mysterious ways unknown to the imperial forces. The Inquisitor picked up the master sergeant here when he was sent to investigate the sudden disappearance. Initially a part of a hunt-team of veteran soldiers who had been fighting the Gravelux on their own terms in their native rain-forests of the planet, the Inquisitor quickly recognized the resourcefulness in the master sergeant and decided to offer him a spot in his entourage.
When they later encountered the Gravelux on an identical planet in the other end of the subsector, the master sergeants experience with 'dealin' with them filthy long shanks'  became instrumental in taking down their blasphemous culture and restore the peace of the god-emperor on the planet, opening up for settlements and agri-culture programs.

...now I just need to come up with a name for him...