Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Black Carapace

Started by Alyster Wick, March 09, 2010, 03:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

I've never seen a depiction of a completely unarmored space marine complete with black carapace.  I was curious if one existed and also if anyone had ever modeled one.  For a while I've been wanting to create a renegade Khorne Berzerker sans armor but didn't really know how to go about it since I have no idea what it's supposed to look like.

Kallidor

Brother Cloten

There's a quite a few Marines around without armour on but those two images should be enough to be getting on with.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Lucidum

So....the black carapace is a skin-tight tank top?

Gestalt

Yup. But black is the new black ::)
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

Lucidum

Is that picture even canon? I've always read that the black carapace was implanted sub-dermally (i.e., beneath the skin), and was designed to link up with the power armour of the astartes. I imagined a sort of through-the-skin-outlined ridged, chitinous carapace, sort of reinforced ribs or some such, with various plugs in various points, similiar to the plugs on "pod born" people in the Matrix.

Kaled

Yeah, it's canon - but like everything, the canon is not consistent and there are differing descriptions out there. Personally I'd make it a bit more organic looking and with more ports...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

The "Making of a Space Marine" article had it as a dark layer over the skin, with Matrix-style ports dotted all over it. The Bloodquest version appears to be under the skin, but showing through, especially in the second picture.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Lucidum on March 09, 2010, 07:59:40 AM
Is that picture even canon? I've always read that the black carapace was implanted sub-dermally (i.e., beneath the skin), and was designed to link up with the power armour of the astartes.

If you look at the scars and musculature of the body in the first pic, the black carapace is definitely sub-dermal, as it should be.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kallidor

I imagined a sort of through-the-skin-outlined ridged, chitinous carapace...

Surely that is a perfect description of the first Cloten picture?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Lucidum

Quote from: Kallidor on March 09, 2010, 11:29:39 PM
I imagined a sort of through-the-skin-outlined ridged, chitinous carapace...

Surely that is a perfect description of the first Cloten picture?

Doesn't look through-the-skin to me, more like skin-tight, since it's got the shoulder straps like a tank top :P