Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wick's other WIPs

Started by Alyster Wick, March 13, 2010, 05:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: precinctomega on March 16, 2010, 02:57:14 PMHer posture is such that holding a hammer of that size at that angle would be completely impossible.  If it were about an inch shorter, it would look much more natural

god yes, impossible to hold it still in that position, but to me the positioning suggests that the weapon is in the process of being swung about to come crashing down on some filthy heretics head.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Inquisitor Cade

Best use of sevorena/sevora EVER!

The pose speaks of a ton of momentum, I don't think shortening the shaft will make it look and easier to hold, but would rob it of some of it's weight.
*Insert token witticism*

precinctomega

Quotethe positioning suggests that the weapon is in the process of being swung about

No, it doesn't.  If it were being swung about, her pose would have to offset the momentum and she would be leaning to her right.

R.

Necris

Or she would be standing like this

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Alyster Wick

I'll agree with most everyone in that the hammer is not "true to life" in scale or pose.  I'm planning on keeping the shaft length as-is because if I shorten it the hammer's head looks monstrous in comparison.  My hope in attaching it that way was that she would look mid-swing and that combined with the pose she would appear to be almost dancing with the hammer (as if she were generally a whirling dervish of destruction with the hammer constantly weaving about her).  I say "my hope" rather than "my intention" because the bottom line is that it's a beautiful model as is and I don't have enough confidence to attempt a repose. 

For these reasons I am going to suspend my disbelief and keep her as-is since I rather like the model, though I cede the field in regards to it not being accurate to real life.  I do very much appreciate the criticism though as it gives me something to shoot for in future projects.

Dullmohawk

I have to agree with you on this one, it would be a shame to repose her, and even to fix that hammer. I think you've struck solid gold with this model, and I think the intention of the pose comes well across. She does look like she's dancing through combat, administering the emperors pain and judgement with an oversized hammer, and who are we really to judge what's realistic in a universe that contains psykers, daemons and aliens... fundamental physics was rarely, if ever, an issue in the grim darkness of the far future where everybody has a headache, as long as it looks cool.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Kasthan

She looks to static at the moment . If you removed Gruss' tabard and moved the bell things to look like they are swinging round, the hammer and hand position would look fine. (The only problem is I think of a night goblin fanatic spinning round and round in a similar dervish way).

Kaled

I have to agree with the others - the position of the hammer works if it's moving, but her body doesn't suggest that sort of movement. The idea of having the bells swinging around would help with that, and you could make a tabbard from a sheet of greenstuff that has some movement in it as well. As it is, I think she's okay, but disappointing because she could easily have been fantastic.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Alyster Wick

Well, no time like the present to learn I suppose. 

Quoteyou could make a tabbard from a sheet of greenstuff that has some movement in it

How long do you generally let GS cure before cutting it and positioning it on the model?  I have no heat lamps or fancy do-dads to place it under, so this will curing at room temp.  I'm assuming I should also be leaving it on wax paper so as to prevent sticking.

Inquisitor Cade

I'm not sure. I get the impression that she has just swung the hammer up ready to swing it round and bring it crashing down. I don't think she needs ti be spinning on the spot herself.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Making a tabbard from greenstuff is easy and is a very useful skill to learn. I normally flatten it out on some plastic sheet, cut it to shape (make a paper template first) and leave it for 30-45 minutes (it stays workable for a good long time) before peeling it up and bending it to get the look I want. Latex gloves are useful for this as you can avoid getting fingerprints in the greenstuff.

Alyster Wick

Quick update, more substantive stuff should come this weekend.  Rather happy with how this turned out, though I plan on doing a little trimming and perhaps adding in some folds to the tabbard.  I also have the perfect chains picked out to attach the bells too so that they are swirling around her. 

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/004-4.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/003-4.jpg

By Sunday night I'm hoping to have the Daemon Huntress (newly christened Hecuba Darkcede), the CSM and the daemon ready for undercoating.  I'm still fretting over the Skitarus assassin though.

Kaled

Looks good - that bit of movement in the tabbard makes her pose seem more dynamic without you actually having to repose the model.

How did you find making the sheet of greenstuff and getting it in position?  Not too difficult I hope.

RobSkib

Looks ace, but what it really needs is a finishing touch - maybe a dangling pendant or something?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Alyster Wick

QuoteHow did you find making the sheet of greenstuff and getting it in position?  Not too difficult I hope.

It was incredibly easy.  Stuck the GS between two sheets of wax paper and used my exacto knife as a rolling pin to flatten it.  I waited about 40 minutes, trimmed, then slapped it into place.  I actually had another go at it and the curves are even smoother now.  Thanks for the advice!

Quotewhat it really needs is a finishing touch - maybe a dangling pendant or something?

Yep, I'm going to be adding a bit from Josef, that weird needle thing he has.  I'm going to trim it and use it as a vial of holy water.  It'll act as some kind of a grenade versus daemons. 

I will say that I may leave the tabbard as is and have a go at some (primitive) free hand.  My painting has been steadily improving since I got back into the hobby so I'll see if I can't be a little fancy.

*Update:

Here she is with the chains.  The bells are ready to attach but I wanted to see what folks thought of these before I attached them (I have plenty of chain to play with and only two bells).  I know they are longer than is realistic and may pose some problems for narrow hallways, but I really like them.  Here they are: