Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Vulture kindred Fvarkon

Started by tzabazeus, March 13, 2010, 12:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzabazeus

My latest idea is a vulture kindred.
Heres the shorter back story (I wrote 5 pages on him during my lecture today :P)

Originating from the jagga forests on pech, Fvarkon was the finest hunter seen in his kindred for six generations, one of the most outstanding marksmen with primitive weapons.
Whilst fighting alongside a regiment of harakoni warhawks against the greenskinned menace in the ultima segmentum, the igala kindred were nearly wiped out after a puritan inquisitor condemned the aliens to death, along with charging the harakoni CO with heresy. As the inquisitors acolyte was overseeing the execution of the CO, along with two inquisitorial guards. After quickly dispatching the guards Fvarkon tortured the name of the inquisitor out of his acolyte. Swearing on his ancestors, Fvarkon vowed to kill inquisitor Lucien Axson.
in his quest fvarkon has served alongside inquisitor Daniella Brais, who has had dealings with many alien species in her line of work, particularly kroot and the tau empire. Fvarkon waits patiently for his opportunity to fulfil his oath to the ancestors.

Ws   Bs      S       T      I      Wp      Sg      Nv      Ld
70   58    75     65    74     55     55      70      60

Fvarkon is Right handed.

Weapons: Bladed Bow* with motion predictor; 12 arrows; 4 throwing knives.

Ablilities: Acrobatic, First Strike, Furious Assault, Stealth, Cannibal Hunger, Deadeye shot, Wings.

*Bladed Bow: Specially designed bow with combat attachments for use in close quarters combat. Can be used as a short sword in combat.

what do you think? This is in preparation for a summer campaign with one of my friends, who will most likely be using a radical inquisitor and possibly a chaos marine. the other options in my head for my warband are another kroot with regeneration(after eating salamanders), with a kroot hound and inquisitor. and possiblt a water caste envoy at some points.

DapperAnarchist

Interesting... A good reason for Kroot to be wandering the Imperial spacelanes... but with that in mind, how do they get around? They now have Inquisitorial support, I know, but before he met the Radical Xenos Inquisitor, how did these few survivors get from world to world?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

tzabazeus

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 13, 2010, 06:16:25 PM
but with that in mind, how do they get around? They now have Inquisitorial support, I know, but before he met the Radical Xenos Inquisitor, how did these few survivors get from world to world?

I had not given this area much thought i admit. Though it does raise an interesting point. i would imagine that being on the edges of imperial space, the fluff as i recall, points that people are slightly more tolerant of xenos species. this would make it easier for Fvarkon to barter his way onto ships. Is it possible that a less than savoury rouge trader might need the services of a kroot incase a deal went sour?
I would imagine this to be the case, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a big alien standing over your shoulder ;D.

So between swearing the oath and meeting the radical inquisitor Fvarkon would have bartered his way onto any vessel that would take him, following the trail of Lucien.

What do you think. Does that seem plausible with regards to 40k background?

Swarbie

If the Inquisition considers something depraved, blasphemous, or heretical, chances are a Rogue Trader has done it. Seeing as the Inquisition is (theoretically at least) totally against foul xenos cannibals that smell of rotting flesh, I think it quite likely that Rogue Traders hire Kroot from time to time.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

DapperAnarchist

Rogue Traders aren't "rogues" in the sense of rebels, their just uncontrolled. Some are good Imperial heroes - but many are heretical sleazeballs who'll do anything that gets them a paycheck and lets them spend it.

Inquisitor Cade

Ws and Bs are both exceptional, even for the best of six generations, I'd tone one of them down to the 60's, and perhaps choose furious assault or first strike.

The Sg marks him at the level of a particularly smart, and well educated imperial citizen. As a semi feral mercenary I would have put his Sg below 50.

How does the motion predictor work with the bow? does it have a sight? I think an eyepatch style thing would be cool.

*Insert token witticism*

tzabazeus

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on March 16, 2010, 05:32:40 PM
Ws and Bs are both exceptional, even for the best of six generations, I'd tone one of them down to the 60's

Valid point. But the average weapon skill for a kroot is 75, of which Fvarkon is already lower, though his Ws is 70, it is because he would still be good at melee. Most kroot are, or that is my interpretation anyway. As for Bs, i was trying to convey a deadly shot, an exeptional hunter.

and perhaps choose furious assault or first strike.

Both of these skills/ abilities are generic for kroot, i have only added wings and deadeye shot. which is justified, i feel , in the background.

The Sg marks him at the level of a particularly smart, and well educated imperial citizen. As a semi feral mercenary I would have put his Sg below 50.

I can see where you are coming from. Yes kroot are feral and canniballistic, but they are intelligent. They are capable of building warp capable craft, yet it is because they choose a simpler way of life that they do not use advanced technology. Someone can correct me here if i am wrong.

How does the motion predictor work with the bow? does it have a sight? I think an eyepatch style thing would be cool.

The current plan is to have some form of scope or screen on the bow. So it looks like it has to be aimed before getting the benefits of the motion predictor. will probably use a mixture of tau and imperial guard 40k bits for this.

Although an eyepatch does sound cool. The first thing that popped into my head after reading this was garrus' eye piece from mass effect. Now that would be cool on a model, as well as looking more tau tech than imperial.

Niall.

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteBut the average weapon skill for a kroot is 75
Only on the same level that the average Ws of an Inquisitor Lord.

Ws 75 with furious assault and first strike, that is really high, so I'd say that it's inappropriate as the 'standard'.
I'd use the frount of the rulebook descriptions of the stats.

QuoteThey are capable of building warp capable craft

So are humans, but guardsmen still have 40-50 Sg typically. 50 speaks of being 'well educated' so I'd still say 60 is pushing it too far.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

I think we need to determine more about what "power level" tzabazeus plays at before we criticise his choice of stats and skills. What he has might fit perfectly for his regular games - and given that one of the other players seems to be considering a Chaos Marine, I think we can guess a certain amount from that alone.

He would possibly be on the powerful side for a Conclave game, but I see nothing that says he's planning on joining one.
Besides, he's unarmoured, and that's something of an equaliser. Sure, it might not save a character from injury completely, but armour does seriously affect the likelihood of system shock.

Quote from: tzabazeus on March 13, 2010, 12:02:51 AMand possibly a water caste envoy at some points.
Unless you've got an odd way to go about it, that's a no. The Tau insist on a monopoly over the Kroot's services - any Kroot serving another race is going behind the Tau's back, and is serious breach of contract.

No Tau envoy would stand for Kroot serving humans - any Inquisitor with an understanding of the relationship between the two races would have to be very careful to make sure that the Tau didn't find out about the Kroot under their command.

The Inquisitor and a Tau - acceptable. The Inquisitor and Kroot - acceptable. The Inquisitor, Tau and Kroot - wouldn't happen.
Of course, if you've got a good reason why it could be that way, it's another matter. But straight up, either the Tau would refuse any involvement with these traitorous Kroot (traitors to the greater good of course) and probably the Inquisitor as well, or the Kroot would have to steer clear of the Tau to avoid being found out.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

The Kroot could be serving the Silent Hunters, acting as a special infiltration agent, one who can be denied. Occasionally, his handlers will appear, but mostly he works alone, pretending to be independent from the Tau Empire (or, sometimes, he pretends to be loyal...)

Inquisitor Cade

While the envoy might not like it, what's he going to do? Pull a gun? jepordise the greater good that his deal would have made by withdrawing whatever offer was on the table?
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

To consider that an envoy could have no bearing on the situation is pretty fallacious.

They could quite easily and willingly withdraw deals - there's no reason they have to go through this Inquisitor. I have little doubt that they'd much sooner work with one who doesn't already have a bad track record by associating with traitors to the Greater Good; after all, if they'll consort with someone who has broken a deal with you, what assurances have you that they'll not break deals themselves?

@DapperAnarchist: I love Kaled's whole idea of "Splinter Cell" Tau, and the Kroot aren't strangers to the whole idea of dishonesty - but I don't really like the idea that the Tau would go in the direction of using Kroot as double agents and moles:

"Sure, let's send a mole into the Inquisition. But just to be really sure it works, let's make it an alien who the Inquisitor will already be watching carefully, won't fully trust if they've got even an ounce of sense in their head and who will be barred from being taken near any important Inquisition events."

The Tau might be able to say "No, it's nothing to do with us" if he gets caught - but suspicion, distrust and the Inquisition's principle of "guilty even without proof" would mean that any Inquisitor would assume that connection with or without the Tau admitting involvement.

Doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

tzabazeus

After considering the last few posts, mainly by marco and Inquisitor Cade, i have adjusted the profile for Fvarkon, reducing both ballistic skill and sagicity.

On another note from Marco's post about the water caste, i have decided to have a rouge trader added instead. Funnily enough this trader will be the same trader who had shipped fvarkon before meeting inquisitor Brais (when i post the extended background this bit should make more sense).

Hopefully once i post up my idea of human profiles, the stats for Fvarkon will become more comparable to 'conclave' standard characters.

Thanks for the ongonig comments,

Niall