Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Elyk Kiartrap Ordo Herticus

Started by freelancer14, April 03, 2010, 10:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancer14

Inquisitor Elyk Kiartrap Ordo Herticus

Background:

Inquisitor Elyk Kiartrap was born on the forge world of Phalax IX. This world is a world that has two distinctive and independent cultures. The majority live in the great factories, endlessly toiling, and the rest are waste landers who lived in family groups following the wild herds of hardy native grox. Elyk was one of these waste landers.

As he grew up he came to be know as strong, powerful youth who latent physic ability gave him the position of shaman of the tribe, the spiritual as well as mystical head of the tribe. He preached faith in the sun god. But a malign influence was building in the surrounding area with tribes becoming increasing savage and reports of cannibalism. Elyk, disgusted by the insidious influence of the dark powers united a few like minded tribes and led a purge of the corrupted ones.

Many of the corrupted tribes were annihilated but the last of them remained when Elyk led the force of 100  men into the village. They were on the verge of victory when foul mutants emerged and using there insidious strength killed all of Elyk's force. Bound and shackled, they led him to a great altar when a hooded man approached, raising a curved dagger, when suddenly shots rang out. The renowned Inquisitor Aelius Vitus had arrived on the scene quickly dispatching the hooded figure with a bolter shot to the head. The other mutants now they had lost there leader fled into the wasteland. Elyk was freed but the world of Phalax IX was in the throes of a full blown civil war with cultists and mutants rising from the bowls of the lower factories. Aelius told Elyk that if he helped him end the war he would let him travel into the sky's and do battle with the sun gods enemies.

Elyk and Aelius Journeyed to the main factory complex and, in a running battle that lasted 6 weeks, purged the complex. After that the Inquisitor took him as his acolyte. Elyk's transition into imperial society was remarkably smooth he continued to hone his skill with the sword and started to train with the gun. For 15 years he served as Aelius acolyte developing his physic abilities. He aided Aelius with putting down many insurrections during the Libra IV conflict, where a small revolt turned into a full fledged war with the inhabitants who, due to an insidious ritual, went blood crazed. Only with the help of several other Inquisitors did they managed to stop the tide of evil sweeping through the sub-sector.

There Elyk met Inqusistor Lord Zaahir Syed, a renowned Thorian. Interested in the Ideals he asked Aleius to let him join Zaahir's retinue. Aelius, originally one of Zaahir many acolytes, was supportive of the idea. For the last 5 years Zaahir tutored him not in martial power but in the philosophy of the Thorians. Also learning more control of his physic abilities he became increasingly interested in demonology and after 5 years he was given his rosette. When he joined the ordo Hereticus he had only had the rosette 2 years but has already tried many dangerous experiments; his theory is that if a daemon can possess a body then, since the Emperor ascended and he too inhabits the warp, surely his power could posses a suitable human vessel. He is a strange sight with a pelt of native fur over his robes. Many of his colleagues see him as young and headstrong, and after the disastrous Mykhaylo Demyan affair many are seeing him as an increasingly dangerous threat.

He is left handed

Ws = 72*
Bs =59
S = 71*
T = 65*
I = 70
Wp = 80
Sg = 63*
Nv = 78*
Ld=87

Equipment: Hand flamer revolver with 3 reloads 5 javelins force sword 2 frag grenade and 2 krak grenade 2 stun grenades flak armour on
all locations except head robes on all locations ausepex

Talents: Feint, Furious assault and leader

Physic powers: Banishment, Teleportation, Telepathy, Sanctuary*

This is my =][= Character I've been lurking without posting for a while a hope the background is all right any criticism welcome will post the 3 other member of his war-band a experiment gone wrong a Vitrian dragoon and a desperado with a dark and hidden past.

*Edit

Inquisitor Cade

Welcome to the conclave

Firstly, we like paragraphs and sentences. I've taken the liberty of formatting the background as I went through it. I believe the plural of grox is grox, but may have erred there.

QuoteInquisitor Elyk Kiartrap was born on the forge world of Phalax IX. This world is a world that has two distinctive and independent cultures. The majority live in the great factories, endlessly toiling, and the rest are waste landers who lived in family groups following the wild herds of hardy native grox. Elyk was one of these waste landers.

As he grew up he came to be know as strong, powerful youth who latent physic ability gave him the position of shaman of the tribe, the spiritual as well as mystical head of the tribe. He preached faith in the sun god. But a malign influence was building in the surrounding area with tribes becoming increasing savage and reports of cannibalism. Elyk, disgusted by the insidious influence of the dark powers united a few like minded tribes and led a purge of the corrupted ones.

Many of the corrupted tribes were annihilated but the last of them remained when Elyk led the force of 100  men into the village. They were on the verge of victory when foul mutants emerged and using there insidious strength killed all of Elyk's force. Bound and shackled, they led him to a great altar when a hooded man approached, raising a curved dagger, when suddenly shots rang out. The renowned Inquisitor Aelius Vitus had arrived on the scene quickly dispatching the hooded figure with a bolter shot to the head. The other mutants now they had lost there leader fled into the wasteland. Elyk was freed but the world of Phalax IX was in the throes of a full blown civil war with cultists and mutants rising from the bowls of the lower factories. Aelius told Elyk that if he helped him end the war he would let him travel into the sky's and do battle with the sun gods enemies.

Elyk and Aelius Journeyed to the main factory complex and, in a running battle that lasted 6 weeks, purged the complex. After that the Inquisitor took him as his acolyte. Elyk's transition into imperial society was remarkably smooth he continued to hone his skill with the sword and started to train with the gun. For 15 years he served as Aelius acolyte developing his physic abilities. He aided Aelius with putting down many insurrections during the Libra IV conflict, where a small revolt turned into a full fledged war with the inhabitants who, due to an insidious ritual, went blood crazed. Only with the help of several other Inquisitors did they managed to stop the tide of evil sweeping through the sub-sector.

There Elyk met Inqusistor Lord Zaahir Syed, a renowned Thorian. Interested in the Ideals he asked Aleius to let him join Zaahir's retinue. Aelius, originally one of Zaahir many acolytes, was supportive of the idea. For the last 5 years Zaahir tutored him not in martial power but in the philosophy of the Thorians. Also learning more control of his physic abilities he became increasingly interested in demonology and after 5 years he was given his rosette. When he joined the ordo Hereticus he had only had the rosette 2 years but has already tried many dangerous experiments; his theory is that if a daemon can possess a body then, since the Emperor ascended and he too inhabits the warp, surely his power could posses a suitable human vessel. He is a strange sight with a pelt of native fur over his robes. Many of his colleagues see him as young and headstrong, and after the disastrous Mykhaylo Demyan affair many are seeing him as an increasingly dangerous threat.

So as to not make an Uber post, I'll give C&C in a seperate one.
*Insert token witticism*

Vladimir

Background first- it mainly figures, but I have one problem- a primitive culture, particularly one notably faithful to the emperor like you portrayed, would probably kill a nascant psyker rather than promoting them. Similarly, has he actually been sanctioned as a psker?

As far as the rules go... all of the stats you've given are somewhat high. It may be worth having a look at the conclave standard to get a more realistic statline- what you've given us is a character who is good at *everything* (with the possible exception of shooting). A lot of people do this (myself included) when they first start out, mainly from following the characters given at the back of the book- these are seen by most of us as being rather overpowered.
The equipment you've given him seems pretty reasonable, although I'm intrigued as to how 'force javalins' work... do you have stats for them?
As for the skills, they also seem fairly normal considering the 'feral' influance on him, although I'm somewhat puzzled by the choice of psychic powers- Both banishment and puppet master are only found in the most exceptionally skilled or experianced psykers, not somehing that I get from your history of the character. Considering his history as a shaman and holy-man, perhaps the selection Banishment 9representing his researches into daemonology), Sanctuary, and Enforce Will, and add the skill Word of the Emperor (which would be various shamanic chants, dedicated to the emperor of course...). Just my thoughts, anyway...
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

freelancer14

Quote from: Vladimir on April 03, 2010, 04:28:10 PM

The equipment you've given him seems pretty reasonable, although I'm intrigued as to how 'force javalins' work... do you have stats for them?
As for the skills, they also seem fairly normal considering the 'feral' influance on him, although I'm somewhat puzzled by the choice of psychic powers- Both banishment and puppet master are only found in the most exceptionally skilled or experianced psykers, not somehing that I get from your history of the character. Considering his history as a shaman and holy-man, perhaps the selection Banishment 9representing his researches into daemonology), Sanctuary, and Enforce Will, and add the skill Word of the Emperor (which would be various shamanic chants, dedicated to the emperor of course...). Just my thoughts, anyway...

the force javelins are actually just a typo he has force sword and 5 normal javelins (from his feral past) as for his physic abilities i'm going to remove puppet master which from his background I don't think I could justify it and sanctuary is a good idea.

Background first- it mainly figures, but I have one problem- a primitive culture, particularly one notably faithful to the emperor like you portrayed, would probably kill a nascant psyker rather than promoting them. Similarly, has he actually been sanctioned as a psker?

I believe that because there was no adverse mutation the tribe's people being ignorant to imperial society would think that rather than thinking of as a mystical thing but as more a spiritual blessing and yes he has been sanctioned as a pysker. 

As far as the rules go... all of the stats you've given are somewhat high. It may be worth having a look at the conclave standard to get a more realistic statline- what you've given us is a character who is good at *everything* (with the possible exception of shooting)
I think looking at the thread I'm may lower his Sg, Nv, S and T
hope that satisfies your questions.

Inquisitor Cade

Is he a rogue psyker. All legal Imperial psykers go on the black ships to earth for sanctioning. No imperial establishment would allow a tribe to use unsanctioned psykers, especially not as religious leaders.
Thats the only issue I see with the backgroung though.

Stats.
His Ws is too high. Even without the two abilities (which I tend to think of as equivalent to 5 Ws each) he is at the level of a fully dedicated swordsmaster, which he can't be because he also is, if anything, more dedicated to his psychic training, and also follows philosopy and keeps up basic firearms skills, and by his S and T spends much of each day working out. And then there are the Inquisitorial duties that take up most of his time.
He could just have increadible natural skill, but given he is mentally gifted, with a powerful mind, a strong will and as a psyker, I'd say that to make him a natural born swordsman too is inappropriate.

As I've touched on, the S and T are higher than most proffesional warriors. The model would need to be impressivly muscular to support it.

The mental statline is on par with what I'd expect from a member of the Holy Inquisition, though perhaps a bit higher than I'd have given a young, headstrong, and physically orientated one.

The kit is interesting. I'm not sure why he'd carry javelins, lots of grenades and no gun. I suppose it comes down to what the model is like. I didn't format the kit but is it that he has thick/armour weave robes (AV1) on his head and flack (AV3) on all other locations.

I've mentioned the combat abilities when talking on the Ws. I'd take away 10-15 Ws or one of them and 5-10 Ws or both of them and 0-5 Ws.

I think that is a good mix of powers, though I think lots of powers are fine, assuming they are related, so I'd suggest a few more telepathy powers, in the vein of imposing things on the victims mind, such as terrify, embolden and/or enforce will.
*Insert token witticism*

freelancer14

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on April 03, 2010, 04:44:26 PM
Is he a rogue psyker. All legal Imperial psykers go on the black ships to earth for sanctioning. No imperial establishment would allow a tribe to use unsanctioned psykers, especially not as religious leaders.
Thats the only issue I see with the backgroung though.

Stats.
His Ws is too high. Even without the two abilities (which I tend to think of as equivalent to 5 Ws each) he is at the level of a fully dedicated swordsmaster, which he can't be because he also is, if anything, more dedicated to his psychic training, and also follows philosopy and keeps up basic firearms skills, and by his S and T spends much of each day working out. And then there are the Inquisitorial duties that take up most of his time.
He could just have increadible natural skill, but given he is mentally gifted, with a powerful mind, a strong will and as a psyker, I'd say that to make him a natural born swordsman too is inappropriate.

As I've touched on, the S and T are higher than most proffesional warriors. The model would need to be impressivly muscular to support it.

The mental statline is on par with what I'd expect from a member of the Holy Inquisition, though perhaps a bit higher than I'd have given a young, headstrong, and physically orientated one.

The kit is interesting. I'm not sure why he'd carry javelins, lots of grenades and no gun. I suppose it comes down to what the model is like. I didn't format the kit but is it that he has thick/armour weave robes (AV1) on his head and flack (AV3) on all other locations.

I've mentioned the combat abilities when talking on the Ws. I'd take away 10-15 Ws or one of them and 5-10 Ws or both of them and 0-5 Ws.

I think that is a good mix of powers, though I think lots of powers are fine, assuming they are related, so I'd suggest a few more telepathy powers, in the vein of imposing things on the victims mind, such as terrify, embolden and/or enforce will.
I think my reply to Vladimir's comments explains away the background issues and you posted just before i made changes to the stats with regards to Ws, S and T and there is meant to be a revolver in there must have made a typo i'll edit it now

Inquisitor Cade

I'd still argue for the dropping of at least one of the combat abilities.

I'd also say that you should give him a few more telepathy powers. If you've removed puppet master because it is too advanced then some simpler things like terrify, embolden and demoralise might be appropriate.

When was he sanctioned?
If it was before he became 'shaman' then how did he end up in the tribe; the imperium doesn't send psykers home after sanctioning but asigns them to serving positions around the galaxy.
If it was after he met Aelius then they would need to be some purges into the planetary govenance that let rogue psyker run around, and the tribes would be unlikely to look favourably upon unsactioned psykers due to their habit of warping things around them, becoming possessed or causing bystanders to explode etc.
*Insert token witticism*

freelancer14

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on April 03, 2010, 05:03:28 PM
When was he sanctioned?
If it was before he became 'shaman' then how did he end up in the tribe; the imperium doesn't send psykers home after sanctioning but asigns them to serving positions around the galaxy.
If it was after he met Aelius then they would need to be some purges into the planetary govenance that let rogue psyker run around, and the tribes would be unlikely to look favourably upon unsanctioned psykers due to their habit of warping things around them, becoming possessed or causing bystanders to explode etc.
He was Unsanctioned until after he met Aelius and I think the planetary governance would presumable be ad mech and I doubt they would take much interest in these feral's unless they disturbed the factories and I like to see the Inquisitor with the balls to argue with the ad mech as I understand it the ad mech are fairly independent and I know this raises issues of Aelius was there my belief is that although not mentioned in the background Aelius was tracking someone or something onto the planet after the extent of the corruption the ad mech would ask for assistance from the inquisition to help purge the world Aelius being a lone inquisitor can arrive more discreetly than a black ship
and on the subject of ablities being he is from a feral im going to remove feint because that seems to sophisticated a fighting style

Inquisitor Cade

I'm not convinced that the tribes would make a habit of allowing psykers to live, though most would never have the problem due to how rare psykers are. Rogue psykers are mostly very unstable, a danger to themselves and to those around them. I suggest that they weren't aware of his ability or at most suspected. After all telepathy isn't as obvious as most disaplines.
*Insert token witticism*

freelancer14

I think maybe because telepathy subtle they may not have noticed but I think maybe there ignorance might means they don't have built in imperial prejudices.

Myriad

Hello, nice to see a new face.

If shaman was a position within their religion it's fairly possible the only overt signs that he was a psyker could have manifested as part of various religious ceremonies and been taken as a sign of the sun gods favour - there's no mention of him using the powers in any obvious way.  It can be assumed, I guess, that at some in his inquisitorial training he got sanctioned.

The combination of his combat stat's do seem quite fearsome.  Mind you, if he's been putting down insurrections he'll be used to swinging a sword. 

He is quite powerful but as inquisitors go he's reasonable and has a fairly individual feel about him.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!