Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Warband list for an upcoming campaign

Started by Inq Leonite, August 07, 2009, 02:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inq Leonite

Hey all, I'm Inq Leonite (though you may remember me as Inquisitor Bridge Carson)

Currently I've managed to start the wheels of progres towards an Inq28 campaign, so I thought that seeing as the Conclave is back up, I should rejoin. Namely the purpose of this topic is for me to show the characters being used in the campaign, and hopefully get some advice on my own. All the characters are still being developed though.

Inq Leonite's group:

• Inquisitor Leonite, an inquisitor with a Power Axe, reflective inscribed carapace armour, plasma pistol with 2 reloads, telepathic beacon and Word of the Emperor, Catchacism of Hate
  • Unnamed female psyker/interrigator (not sure which yet), has a force staff, carapace armour on the chest, 1 pt of armour on all other locations but the head, counts as having ceramite armour all over, a PSI Booster Fireball, Wyrd-Focused Fire Blast (rules still in development, its a more focused fire ball and requires an Sageicity test) and Blinding Flash
  • Unnamed male bounty hunter, equipped with Carapace on all locations but head, whie is an open helmet with advanced autosenses and a motion predictor, Bolas Launcher, 5 Shock Nets, 3 Frag Grenades, Flamer with 2 reloads, Rocksteady Aim, a hunter skull linked Via MIU and a Cyber Matiff
Other Warbands, so far:

• Group 1: One Inquisitor, two Cultists, all equally balanced between combat and shooting, an assulty priest and a Desperado Sniper
  • Group 2: Unknown aside from 1 Inquisitor
  • Group 3: Mainly unknown aside from a tree like Alien Bounty Hunter named Tree and a Psychic Impel archotech shaped like a cealing fan
Comments?

Dosdamt

I think until you post considerably more details there's not alot anyone can comment on...

Not only that, reading carapace armour, power axe, plasma pistols all bedecking an Inquisitor seems like a helluva lot of killing choppyness on one chap... Is that indicative of the expected power level?
It is never too late! - Mentirius

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

Inq Leonite

Hmm, you have a point on the axe and pistol thing, Count the Plasma pistol as a Naval Pistol instead, but the Power Axe is kind of going to be my Inquisitors signiture weapon, though I may make it merely a customised axe, half way between a normal axe and a power axe.

The Carapace armour is a precaution against any potential choices made by my three friends, it is their first time playing Inquisitor and aside from banning power armour and Space Marines, and warning against excess use of exotic and legendary gear, they have little other restrictions.

Inquisitor Cade

Do you have a GM, or are you GMing and playing? I'd suggest the GM takes a part in the creation process. You/he are likely better versed in 40k lore so can give good advice, and can nip Ws 90 powersword weilders in the bud.

You havn't given us much to work on here. We would need a background to see weather things are appropriate. It needn't be long. He grew up on a farm, joined the guard, met and impressed an Inquisitor during his time and became an interrogator would be sufficient for example.

Stats would be useful too. Firstly we could give opinions as to weater they are representative of the character from the background. Secondly however is when it comes to balance (which I pressume from what you gave us is your main concern) the stats are very important. If your Inquisitor can handle himself (Ws 60ish) then his trademark power axe would be powerful but not game dominating. If he is an axe master however (Ws 80+) then he is likely to walk over everyone he touches, unless of course all the warbands have a master power weapon weilder.

So, as Dosdamt said, the power weapon, plasma pistol, carapace combo might be an over kill combo, but if he has reasonable stats, it wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

To make the most of your campaign I reccomend lots of objective based missions. Reward inventive play and avoid scenario's where victory will go the the most powerful warband for sure.

It'd be good to be able to input more, so I encourage you to give us more infomation, on the characters and on the campaign.
*Insert token witticism*

Molotov

When you get to the modelling stage (or if you'd like to write about your experiences of INQ28) please get in touch with me at my INQ28 blog! I'm keen to feature the work of other INQ28 modellers - Kaled was recently kind enough to let me feature his INQ28 retinues, and I'd like to feature others.

Good luck with your endeavours!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Simeon Blackstar

Inq Leonite

I'm the GM, but for games that I'm playing in I've prepared a second GM. We haven't touched on stats yet, but mine will probably be up some time during the next week. Backround would probably follow soon after, but most likely only for my party, unless I can get the basic's out of my friends.

Tullio

Try and stress the importance of the characters as much as you can. Some people tend to see Inquisitor as simply being 40K in more detail, and will often fudge thier way through with clichéd characters and weak excuses for thier equipment

Tullio

precinctomega

I like to talk about a character's "narrative gravity".  This is a rough measure of how influential on the outcome of any given game a character will be.

Space Marines necessarily possess a huge amount of narrative gravity, but so can other characters with certain combinations.  A high WS and powerful weapons are a good example, as is a high BS and powerful rifle.  But narrative gravity can also be imposed by the conditions of the scenario.

For example, I once GM'd a game where one player had only one character, who was weak, cowardly, inept and armed only with a laspistol.  But because he was the objective - with the other two sides attempting to take him alive before he escaped through a warp portal - he obtained a great deal of narrative gravity.  The player who controlled him, though, cleverly made use of his opponent's own characters' narrative gravity (gN, for the sake of my fingers).  By keeping hidden and moving quietly, he reduced his own gN.  The hunters - power-weapon wielding, armoured, psychic dangermoths that they were - were therefore drawn to each other by their own gN, allowing the objective character to sneak his way past a blazing firefight and escape unscathed.

The moral of the story is that gN has as much an effect on the players as it does on the game: gN almost manages to make some confrontations inevitable if the players don't focus.  Using characters with a low gN forces the player to use his characters as a team to mitigate each others weaknesses and to to focus on the objective.

Of course, a high gN can be used to the GM's advantage, by making high-gN characters objectives or sub-objectives in their own right.

R.

Inq Leonite

Quote from: Tullio on August 09, 2009, 06:48:56 PM
Try and stress the importance of the characters as much as you can. Some people tend to see Inquisitor as simply being 40K in more detail, and will often fudge thier way through with clichéd characters and weak excuses for thier equipment

Tullio
Trust me, I've learned that lesson the hard way. I've finished writing the second character's background but I need to go back an make a few edits, so the story for the first two should be up today or tommorow, with the third following closely behind, after getting a complete change over.

... that is to say, I've changed the third character from being a bounty hunter to a Kroot hunter who had the misfortune of eating Tyranid flesh.

Major Edit:Inquisitor Leonite Retinue’s backgrounds:
Inquisitor Leonite:
+++PASSWORD: ******+++
+++WELCOME INQUSITOR LEONITE, WHICH FILE DO YOU WISH TO OPEN+++
+++OPENING INFO FILE “LEONITE”+++
Leonite Reou was born on the planet Archanus V, a hive planet which has a history of very little interesting happening. Leonite was born into a lower hive family, desperately trying to scrape out a living ever since he was born into the world. When he was at the age of seven, craving for something more than factory work, he joined up with a hive gang known as the “Spikers”, but by the time he was in his teens he was bored of that too. As soon as he hit the age of fifteen, Archanus V’s lowest age for military service in the PDF Leonite joined up, abandoning both his family and the gang. A few weeks after joining up the regiment Leonite was enlisted in, the Archanus 23rd, was sent out to a neighbouring agri-world of Archanus III, to support their regiments against attacks by a force of Dark Eldar led by a powerful psyker.
However, when they landed, disaster struck. A surgical strike force of Dark Eldar Raiders attacked the regiment, managing to kill every major authority figure in the regiment, leaving them confused and without orders. When one of the unit sergeants tried to command the regiment to follow the Raiders, Leonite disobeyed the orders and took off with roughly a fifth of the regiment with him in a retreat into nearby caves. After the rest of the regiment was inevitably eliminated Leonite revealed the plan that he had for them to use. Over the next month Leonite led the group in a series of surgical counter strikes against the Dark Eldar, weakening them up enough for them to be completely wiped out by a force of Ordo Hectarius. As they prepared to leave the planet, the Inquisitor Lord in charge, Thorian Inquisitor Lord Benusin, left with Leonite as his new Acolyte. Unfortunately around 30 years later, in a fierce fire fight between the Inquisitor Lord’s War band and a rouge psyker led cult, Benusin was crushed under the psychically modified weight of his own skeleton. After taking up Benusin’s axe in retribution and eliminating the rouge psyker, Leonite took up the mantle of Inquisitor after getting a recommendation from an Inquisitor who had been a friend of Benusin. Leonite is usually a calm, loyal and collected man, but is known to have a blistering hot temper, little patience for traitors and to this day still uses Benusin’s axe. Over the years since Leonite became an Inquisitor he has become an Ordo Xenos Thorian Inquisitor, having acquired a small but impressive retinue, notable members of which include Interrogator Rubetia “Ruby” Pyeresworth [1] and Kroot Bounty Hunter Dukev’arash [2]
+++LINKS: [1] INTERRIGATO PYERESWORTH
[2] BOUNTY HUNTER DUKEV’ARASH+++
+++ [1] +++
+++OPENING VID FILE “INTERRIGATOR PYERESWORTH”+++
+++VID FILE CREATOR: INQUISITOR LEONITE+++   
With assistance from both my Interrogator and information I gathered myself at the time I have been able to construct a small history for her. Rubetia was a child born into a noble family on a planet that now has its records restricted by all three major Ordos of the Inquisiton. However, despite being born in the lap of luxury, she wasn’t content to merely lie around, and has been noted as being very enthusiastic in her studies and the defence programs her father allowed her to undertake. There was a small problem in this life of hers though, in that Rubetia’s family was very religious at the worst, or maybe best, of times and she happened to have a quite large psychic potential. This didn’t manifest itself for a long time, as while her psychic potential was high she didn’t manifest psychic powers per say, just faster reflexes and a faster mind.
Eventually Rubetia tired of the simple pleasures of noble life and joined up with a group calling themselves “The Emperor’s Guardians”. Rather coincidentally I was on the planet at the same time, disguised at the time, searching for the source of alleged Xeno and Psyker cults. These stories inevitably became intertwined as “The Emperor’s Guardians” ended up being these cults, and soon enough they, through means neither I nor Rubetia understand, but, according to her observations, seem to involve Xeno technology, managed to discover her psyker potential. They then hooked her up to a machine that tapped her straight into the warp so that they could summon a powerful daemon. At this point Rubetia informs me, and with purity checks and a now disceplined mind (due to training on the Black Ships) I believe her, that they had convinced her that this process was to help the Imperium, and it wasn’t until the Daemon was starting to possess her body that she knew what was going on.
At this point I revealed myself and started trying to stop the ritual, but the weight of numbers meant that this was extremely hard to do. Then a very strange thing happened. Apparently due to the daemon’s possession of her Rubetia managed to tap in fully to her psychic potential. Most Inquisitors now that even at the best of time psychic powers can be a risky business, but due to some miracle she managed to summon a massive blast of heat energy from within herself and blast it outwards, destroying the daemon within her and the cultists within the complex, but miraculously I was unharmed. As this showed obvious signs of divine vessel potential I took her with me when I left the planet to train her as my Interrogator, and continue to do so to this day. Her encounter with the warp has managed to leave her with a mastery of several pyrokenetic based psychic abilities, which she has continued to use and remains as faithful as she has ever been before.
+++ [2] +++
+++OPENING VID FILE “BOUNTY HUNTER DUKEV’ARASH”+++
+++VID FILE CREATOR: INQUISITOR LEONITE+++
Ah, Dukev’arash, or as he prefers me to call him, Dukev. Normally I would be the last person to allow a Xeno amongst my team, but time and time again he has proved himself. He lets very little to b known about his early life, but what I do know is that at one point he ate Tyranid flesh due to a lack of other edible material and my own unwillingness for them to eat what remained of my men, when he and his group were allied amongst my own due to lack of numbers. For those unfamiliar with the Kroot physiology, usually they absorb some qualities of the species they devour, but due to the gene code of Tyranid DNA it messes with their systems, according to Dukev. However on that same day Dukev managed to save me from being devoured by a Carnifex class beast. In exchange for this service I ensured that the DNA wouldn’t spread by having the affected areas, being his right eye and left arm, replaced with bionics, not an easy thing to pull off though. Since he still had traces remaining, he exiled himself from his group and has been in my service ever since, doubling as a bodyguard and an excellent hunter.
+++CLOSING FILES+++
+++DISCONNECTING+++
+++DISCONNECTED, GOODBYE INQUISITOR+++

Inq Leonite

Inquisitor Cade

Cool. Now it would be great to see stat lines that can be properly reviewed with reference to the backgrounds.

Over the next month Leonite led the group in a series of surgical counter strikes against the Dark Eldar, weakening them
Dark Eldar fight war in the same way as most. The targeting of headquarther elements was realistic, but I don't think that PDF could launch a sirgical strike. The Dark Eldar would have the better scouts by far, so if either side knew where the other was, and be able to maneuver an attacking force nearby without detection, it wouldn't be the PDF. I might by that Leonite caught them in ambushes and traps.

QuoteLeonite took up the mantle of Inquisitor.
An Interrogator doesn't automatically become an Inquisitor at the death of his master, he needs approval I think from at least three Inquisitors. The way you right it sounds like he is inheriting a family business or something, becoming a member of the Holy Inquisition isn't nearly so straight forward, or automatic.

QuoteApparently due to the daemon's possession of her Rubetia managed to tap in fully to her psychic potential
This has been done a lot before. It seems that every other psyker character's powers manifest suddenly during an event that typically involves a daemon. Not that this undermines the backstory, it's just a cliche'. Would the idea that she realised she was a psyker and either hid it from her family or her family hid it from everyone else be worse?

QuoteI took her with me when I left the planet to train her as my Interrogator
After she spent a stint on the Black ships of course.

QuoteNormally I would be the last person to allow a Xeno amongst my team
Clearly not as he does let a Xenos on his team, and I don't see much abnormality in the situation. How does he see the alien? Is he a radical who thinks that humanity and some Xenos can coexist in peace, or does he consider himself to be exploiting Dukev into working for him, and intends to execute him when he out lives his usefulness?
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 16, 2009, 10:12:27 AM
An Interrogator doesn't automatically become an Inquisitor at the death of his master, he needs approval I think from at least three Inquisitors.
An acolyte can take on full Inquisitorial responsibilities on the death of his master, inheriting their seal and fulfiling the role of Inquisitor - however it is subject to repeal by another Inquisitor.  To be properly granted the role of Inquisitor requires the consent of three Inquisitors or an Inquisitor Lord.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Inquisitor Cade

Oh right. I probably should have known that. Cheers for the knowledge.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

QuoteAfter taking up Benusin's axe in retribution and eliminating the rouge psyker, Leonite took up the mantle of Inquisitor.
It is possible to be promoted to Inquisitor without the death of your master. Inquisitor Skoll's master is alive and well, having trained two other Inquisitors before he even took on Marco.

Also, the death of your master is probably likely to get you passed on to another Inquisitor to finish your training (a rare thing to see in background - using it as an idea would be reasonably different).

QuoteThen a very strange thing happened. Apparently due to the daemon's possession of her Rubetia managed to tap in fully to her psychic potential.
As Cade says, rather cliché.

To refer back to my own background, Marco knew he was telekinetic from about the age of 8. Given the particular hatred of psykers on his planet, he suppressed it as best he could and managed to keep it hidden from his friends and family for the next decade, until one day it was a case where he was forced to use his power or die.

Such an idea could be used in your case. Rubetia was a perfectly capable, but unwilling, psyker until the point that she realised that she was in serious trouble, at which point, she made use of her "talents". Presumably, her family could then refuse to take her back in after this revelation.

Quote from: Inquisitor CadeAfter she spent a stint on the Black ships of course.
Agreed. Too many psykers manage to avoid what is supposed to be standard practise. Those earmarked for Inquisitorial service could presumably get "fast-tracked", but they'd be unlikely to skip over it completely unless their master was a questionable radical.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles