Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Praetorians WIP

Started by Brother_Brimstone, April 03, 2010, 02:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

So, after looking at the inspiration thread, and gathering my old, unpaintd FW renegade ogryns, I decided it was time to try and put my own spin on the praetorian. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound, and because I had enough spare Killa Kan parts to equip two, I made two. They're both made from FW renegade ogryns, Ok Killa Kan parts, greenstuff, guitar wire and hope. The exception being the track wheels of the larger one - I think that was an old Gorka Morka vehicle, but i'm not entirely sure; it was just there in my bitbox.

As usual, all comments/criticism appreciated.

precinctomega

Great start.  Note sure about the legs on the walking one (they look rather fragile in profile), and the putty work looks a little rough, but paint might cover a multitude of sins.

R.

Kasthan

Looking good. Are you going to add any mechanicus symbols etc.?

The walking ones legs look as if he could only move side ways (crab like), could you move them so they are forward facing? Think how the imperial guard sentinel looks, for a more extreme look how about giving the model four legs?

Inquisitor Cade

I agree that the legs look unstable and questionably functional. I also agree that a third and/or fourth leg would look more convincing.

What is the non-flamer on the tracked one? Some sort of single shot mortar?

If you are making two then I'd give at least one of them at least one close combat weapon, for diversity.
*Insert token witticism*

Brother_Brimstone

I imagined the second one would be holding a grenade launcher. You load the grenades in, and he fires them. As for the close combat point, i conciously chose to not give either of them CCW because Severin has 2 CCW and I wanted these two characters to be markedly different. On top of that, I imagined these Praetorians as being like mobile heavy weapons platforms; the walker stays at the back and lays down covering fire with the heavy stubber and rockets, the other one accompanies the protectee, using the flamer and nades to clear the way.

Thanks for the comments, i'm in the process of changing the legs of the walker - pics will follow.

Brother_Brimstone

I know double posts are generally frowned upon, but because this one carries new pictures, i'm hoping it will be okay.

Quote from: Kasthan on April 03, 2010, 09:24:22 AM
Are you going to add any mechanicus symbols etc.?

I'm still not sure. On the old conclave, I posted a thread discussing 'Hunter-Killer Programmes' (daemons that have been somehow bound into digital data files) from the book 'Dark Adeptus' and their use. Because they're confirmed to exist, but what they can and cannot really do is unexplained, it essentially ended with me being told that it was an idea i could play with.

As a result, I'm considering making these 'Hunter-Killer' Praetorians (fluff-wise it would be the case that Zophar somehow obtained two praetorians, and separately had a couple of hunter-killer programmes and then digitally loaded the data daemons into the praetorians). If this is the case, then I'm going to give them some chaos undivided symbols rather than admech ones - the implication being that theyve scratched off all the admech symbols and replaced them.

Myriad

These are certainly shaping up nicely.  The walkers legs are looking better in those photos - I was struggling with the angles of the joints a bit.  It's good to see them packing firepower, since I'm yet to be wholly convinced by heavy duty battle droids carrying swords (especially titans, I confess). 

That cannon on the tracked dude has to be one of the most serious looking weapons I've seen on the conclave.  Love it.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Gnaeus Conlitor

Damnit I thought you meant Praetorian guardsmen as in the ones kitted out like British Colonial troops.

Cool models though.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Flinty

The third leg is a great addition, and to second  Myriad, I do like the look of thier weaponry - love to see them painted.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Radu Lykan

3 legs? genius! i can just imagine it shuffling around

TheNephew

The third leg is a definite improvement - looks far less flimsy now.

The tracked servitor looks like one bad mofo as well. I like the long-range mortar and close-up flamer (heavy flamer?) as well.

It's a shame the heads/torsos are in black because it hides a lot of the detail - not that that's really a problem with ogryn (I assume) based servitors.

I am a little concerned for the missile-toting big guy, since he has no eyes or obvious analogues, but I expect there's something in there somewhere.

Inquisitor Cade

They are based of the chaos ogryns, so have rags over their heads, which is why there aren't many details.
*Insert token witticism*

Brother_Brimstone

Wow, great response - thanks very much everyone, and thank you for the complements. I shall adress a few people's points here, as it may take me a while to get some painted pics up (there are two of them to paint after all).

These are my first Model Driven Characters, and as such, their gear etc... is going to be entirely determined by what it looks like they should have. Thus, any suggestions for what the tracked guy's cannon should be rules-wise would be great. So far mortar seems to be the resounding vote, so i'll try to get some rules for that.

As for the three legs, the way I imagined movement was that one leg would stay stationary (the centre leg), and the other two would shift forward, so the back leg stops him falling back, and the two front legs shift his weight forward - then the third leg shifts forward to its place between the other two, and repeat. Slow and deliberate, but when you imagine the whining and whirling of the servos as this giant thing shuffles forward - it seems very sinister which is what I wanted.

As for the missing eyes, i purposefully connected the guns up to his eyes, the implication being that in the big metal casings of the missile launcher and heavy stubber there are various sensors and trackers etc... I wanted it to be like him using the gun to track the target, so he's always pre-aimed. And yes, Cade is right, they are renegade ogryns, they are wearing large, ragged gas masks - hence the models already had some tubing and canisters on them - very handy for my purposes. The injectors also make a brilliant addition  to the models, they make them seem all the more sinister (i love the renegade ogryn models, i could go on about them all day!).

Finally, although no one has asked since, I've decided these bad boys are going to be imperial rather than captured chaos tech, so their insignia will include cogs, purity seals and Aquilas (i finished GS'ing the purity seals last night and attached them, and i've already found some etched brass cogs that I've attached).

Thanks very much for the interest - i hope the finished things live up to the expectations now!