Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark Heresy VOIP Campaign

Started by precinctomega, April 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Using minis would mean generating a character beforehand, and I'd prefer to turn up, randomly generate a character, and then get on with it!  Though I suppose having a couple of fairly generic 28mm models wouldn't hurt...

Brother_Brimstone

Ah, this may come from my lack of experience with DH; are characters normally randomly generated, or player created (or GM created)? All the RPGs I've played before have either been run with player or GM generated characters (or pre-created characters from campaign books), but never random character generation.

Would we be generating our own characetrs (either by planning or randomly) or would we be using GM-generated characters?

precinctomega

In the interests of getting as much playing done as possible, I was intending for players to generate their own characters, ideally in the course of a Skype or telephone conversation with me, before the event.

I'm quite happy not to use a tactical map, as I've never done so before.  I do like players to bring minis, though, because I have a system whereby, if a player wants to talk "in character" they touch their mini (calm down at the back! - "I'd have to touch my MAXI!" Etc etc).  Saves a certain amount of confusion.  It can also be helpful to set a scene on a sketch map ("You're here, here and here.  They're here, here, here, here, here and, oh yes, right here, behind you, because you failed that Awareness test earlier...").

R.

Brother_Brimstone

My copy of the rulebook arrived today; it's a lot heftier than I remebered. I've had a brief look through and it seems fairly straightforward - i'll just have to familiarise myself with the particular quirks of the system. Still; I've got a decent idea of what kind of character I'd like to play.

Anyway, what this basically means is that if this game is organised, it's now quite likely that i'll be able to play (pesky university things permitting).

Van Helser

I'm having a slow old day at work and my mind's started wondering - a dangerous thing!

Any thoughts about a date for this yet Robey? I've been reading through Ascension recently and it's piqued my interest in all things Dark Heresy again.

Ruaridh

precinctomega

A date may have to wait a little longer, for now.  I'll contact WHW and find out days when they've not got much on, as we want things to fairly quiet.  Then I'll check with SWMBO to see if I can get a leave pass for a Saturday.

R.

Van Helser

No worries Robey. Just hoping there's still sufficient interest to warrant a trip down south.

Suppose I could use the time to actually settle on an archetype to play. I don't want an action orientated character, but that still leaves three or four classes to choose between, and they're all so attractive!

Ruaridh

precinctomega

Right.

1) I'm now working on a unique one-day Dark Heresy campaign, set, not in the Calixis Sector, but the Carthaxian Sector!

2) I'm looking at November.

3) I was pondering moving the venue to somewhere closer to me.  I realize this would be inconvenient for Ruaridh - but everywhere's inconvenient when you live in the Highlands.  How would anyone else feel about coming to Cheltenham for the game?

4) Aim is for five people.  As mentioned, the plan is for a one-day campaign.  But by "one day" I mean "starts at 8am, finishes at 10pm".  I'm going to look into arranging something with a local B&B if anyone needs that.

R.

Van Helser

As long as there's good transport links from an airport somewhere in the vicinity getting to Cheltenham wouldn't be an impossibility. I won't let living in Inverness prevent me taken part in an all-day Dark Heresy extravaganza!

Ruaridh

EDIT: but I am on holiday in Egypt from the 6th til the 20th of November. Limits my chances even more!

Easy E

I can't attend due to teh Atlantic, but I have a random thought about minis/vs. non-minis. 

If you are at WHW, I'm sure they would prefer if you use minis and a tactical map since their business is ostensibly to sell miniatures, and not game systems.  Selling books is Fantasy Flights job, not so much WHW.

^Cheapskate^

Shannow

I've never played Dark Heresy before but have given all the books a read through and really like the ideas. So if you didn't mind a novice and the date fits around my dissertation work I'd definitely be interested, and I am only in Bristol term time so pretty close!

Also would you be able to create characters using any of the books or limited?

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

precinctomega

@VanHelser - I'm flexible to accommodate the enthusiastic.

@Easy E - In Bugman's they couldn't care less, as long as you're eating and drinking.  They have board games on the shelves there, including Chess and Risk, as well as Chaos in the Old World, the Horus Heresy board game and Shuuro.

@Shannow - Bristol?  Ideal.  I think Saussure's there, as well.  And Greenstuff Gav's in Bath, too.  As far as characters go, participants would be expected to either phone or Skype me ahead of time to develop their characters.  I'm flexible to integrate all sorts of different archetypes, but be aware that the Carthaxian Sector doesn't contain characters unique to the Calixis Sector (like the Chaliced Commissar, for example).

R.

Kresten

Hello, I'd be very interested in this. I'm not really too familiar with the game mechanics, (I find it very hard to retain the ins and outs of the game without actually playing and getting to grips with it that way) but I have the book and would be able to create a character easily enough. I played AD&D a lot so after watching people play for a while I should be alright with it. (hopefully)

Also Im near Yeovil in Somerset.

-Tim
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Shannow

When would we need to have a skype chat with you PO? I'm very up for it, but would like to get a character sorted before mid september as I have a lot of free time till then :P but thats just my preference and I can always mnake time! Should I PM you my skype address?

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

precinctomega

Go ahead!  Maybe we could have a chat and I could interview for my Hobbycast, too?

R.