Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mechanical (/servitor/undead) horses

Started by Myriad, April 25, 2010, 10:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

I've been looking for one, for someone who doesn't carry his own stuff.

This must have been done in steampunk style, surely?

Any pointers much appreciated.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Brother_Brimstone

The only one I can think of would be the mechanical steed used by the Empire in Warhammer Fantasy. It's too small for Inquisitor (unless it were to be a miniature mechanical horse I suppose - considering it's a robot, it being a bit small is explainable). I daresay that's probably more use inspiration than anything else though

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300287&prodId=prod20022

If you make one, you HAVE TO post pics!

EDIT: If you do want to make a servitor or undead horse, you need not do so from scratch. IIRC both Pegaso and Andrea do characters on or with horses. You could then model these as much or as little as you want to make it seem undead or servitor-esque.

Heroka Vendile

Plastic (and therefore much cheaper) 1:32 horse sets exist in large numbers if you're just after a base model to convert from.
In that regard I would direct to the likes of the Italeri kits
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

precinctomega

Go to Privateer Press:

Not only do the horses have a good steampunky look, they're also bloody enormous.

R.

Myriad

Change of plan - they have a goat (ulk) rider model!

Thanks for the tip.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

kierkegaard

'Ulk' look more like reindeer than goats. They also look a bit small for 54mm purposes.

That 'steampunk' horse that PO posted looks like it has potential though. I think that it would look good if you put some sort of webbing over the saddle, and hung a gun holster on one side and a scabbard on the other.

Myriad

Hmm.  Quite possibly the ulk is large enough for a beast of burden but too small to be a (former) riding animal  ;).  I'll find out when it arrives (and decide whether to order the horse or start rewriting background )

Heroka Vendile

Taban Miniatures, the same source as POs giant metal snake discovery.

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

The page claims that's 90mm - although which dimension that is is hard to know.

... hmm, I suppose that riding horses are usually about 16 hands (64 inches, 163 cm) at the withers, which would be about 5cm scale size. Assuming that the 90mm is height, that model's "withers" would be about 6cm off the floor - a bit big, but not impossible to justify, particularly given that it's mechanical.

The "human" torso could be of some use on another model as well. Could well be a good buy.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

Not to mention heroic scale can always include horses.

This does look like a pretty good buy - plenty of potential for ad-mech in the 'human' parts.  Sadly I've blown most of my model budget for a while, but at only 25 euros I'm wavering.

<edit>  the ulk rider didn't even come up to Torquemada's waist, so I've gone to plan B and ordered the Taban miniatures model, which I guess will have to be unmechanised to some degree.