Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Sector Background for my characters

Started by DapperAnarchist, May 10, 2010, 01:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

I decided I wanted to tie together my characters, but also give them a way to engage in the Carthaxian Conclave. So I decided to invent a sector near-ish to the Carthax Sector, with its own history, big threats, and planets, so as I could be sure I didn't step on anyone's toes, but had a route in, as it were. So, I present the Keltani Sector -

A History of the Keltani Sector

Located in the Segmentum Pacificus, the Keltani Sector occupies a star cluster located slightly above the Galactic Plane. Isolated by distance and a turbulent region of the warp, the Keltani sector was not settled until the discovery of the warp current known as Ariepate's Path in M.35. Discovered by Trader Ariepate and Navigator Nexedosa in the Chimera, Ariepate's Path is a swift warp current allowing easy access to the world of Path's End, and thus to the Keltani Sector in general. However, travel outwards from Keltani is still slow and difficult, making Keltani highly isolated. Its nearest sectors include the Zhelios Sector, home of the famed Isolation Construct, the Gararos Sector, which is currently consumed in war against Waaagh! Kilgnar, the Carthax Sector, rumoured to be the location of many ancient archives and treasures, and the Aesthon Sector.

Recent History -
The most significant event in recent Keltani Sector history must necessarily be the Treason of Antoninus, also known as the Conclave of Treachery, the False Conclave of Bethdagon, or the Bethdagon Massacre. Roughly two centuries ago, the Ordos Keltani gathered on the backwater world of Bethdagon to attend a Grand Conclave, called by a council of notable Inquisitors, including Inquisitor Lord Bretea, Inquisitor Damiriar, the must respected Witchhunter Ngula and the Inquisitor Processional of the Ordos Keltani, Mondyme. However, on arrival, it was soon discovered that none of those had in fact sent out the invitations that had carried their names. Within hours of the Conclave's arrival, a revolution broke out across Bethdagon, turning a peaceful world into a world of smouldering cities and besieged fortresses. Trapped by the traitors, the Conclave set out to discover who was behind these events

The immediate suspect was Inquisitor Behruz Antoninus, who had vanished years before following the deaths of three other Inquisitors. This suspicion was confirmed when Inquisitor Mondyme identified Antoninus as one of those who had attacked him when he attempted to reach his shuttle. As the revolution intensified, still only a few days in, the Inquisition's focus shifted to the three largest cities of Bethdagon, Deoster, Visasuth and Lacale. This is when what would already have been one of the most foul acts of treachery committed in the Keltani sector became an event which would never be forgotten. A week after the revolution began, the three largest cities of Bethdagon were each destroyed by ancient plasma and nuclear warheads hidden around the city. This, already an act of mass murder that killed hundreds of millions of Imperial subjects and dozens of Inquisitors, was only the trigger for three massive blasts of psychic energy, powered by the deaths of those millions. Each blast was sent straight upwards, and obliterated the three moons of Bethdagon, Jupitinse, Revelus and Prens.

Following the destruction of the three cities, the lunar mining colonies, and the vast destruction on both the orbiting vessels and the surface from the lunar debris, nearly a billion civilians died, 14 starships were completely destroyed, and nearly 80% of the Ordos Keltani were killed. Later investigations concluded that the Traitor Antoninus had died as well. The only survivor from the High Council was Inquisitor Mondyme. On his advice, the preservation of order became the Ordos' immediate focus. The replacement of their fallen brothers and sisters was a duty given to a small number of Inquisitors, primarily Inquisitor Johann Euklid. Since then Euklid has dedicated himself to finding the best potential Inquisitors, recruiting from across the sector, training them to a certain level, then fostering them out to other Inquisitors, such as Inquisitor Jeromex of the Ordo Sepulturum, the renowned Exorcist, Inquisitor Emelian, Inquisitor Mahendra of the Ordo Xenos, and Inquisitor Othar, one of those who came to Keltani in the aftermath of the Treason of Antoninus to provide assistance.

However, events are conspiring again to cause trouble for Keltani - three of the most promising new Inquisitors have vanished, Adelmar, Kalanode, and Therapon. Therapon is rumoured dead, while darker rumours surround Adelmar and Kalanode. Furthermore, Keltani's problems appear to be spilling out into neighbouring sectors, such as the Carthax Sector, with sightings of both Adelmar and Kalanode, rumours of the spread of the Guild Thuban, and the pursuit of these rumours by two of Euklid's most trustworthy students, Inquisitors Cass and Kolab
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Kaled

Just as a brief note, and please don't take this as an attempt to force you to do things my way...  When I came up with the Carthax sector I did consider that people would want to create their own area of space, so said that the sector was divided into a number of disparate sub-sectors and left it for people to create them, their systems, planets, Conclaves, prominent characters, institutions and factions. You're more than welcome to make this one such sub-sector. (But I won't be offended if you want to keep it separate.)
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

I did consider it being the Keltani sub-sector, but the reason why I didn't, was in the vast and complex Carthax sector, its hard to imagine that a subsector that lost most of its local Inquisitors would not quickly be re-enforced by other sectors, and I rather liked the idea of Emelian, Othar, Euklid, and the rest scrabbling around trying to keep control and train up new Inquisitors all at the same time... Though, perhaps, it could easily be the Keltani Sub-sector, originally declared part of Carthax, but never settled after warp storms moved in, until a path was found in, etc etc... I might tweak it that way...

it should be clear from that that I think by writing, half the time...

Kaled

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on May 10, 2010, 06:02:30 PM
in the vast and complex Carthax sector, its hard to imagine that a subsector that lost most of its local Inquisitors would not quickly be re-enforced by other sectors
Two things spring to mind there.  Firstly, if it's an isolated and hard to reach sub-sector, then there aren't likely to be many Inquisitors travelling there if they can't get back easily.  And secondly, Necris and co. killed off a load of the Inquisitors in the Carthax sector in The War of Shadows, which means the Inquisition is stretched pretty thin in the sector anyway...

But as I say, it's your sector and I won't be offended either way.

DapperAnarchist

No, its fine. I think I may go the subsector route, partly cos the image of this dark, hidden sub-sector with its own problems and all these evils brewing away (the Guild Thuban, and stuff involving the Adelmar/Kalanode conflict - two of my characters), and it could even be central, but inaccessible... its all a bit Transylvanian/Stokerish. Which is good. Though the War of Shadows is recent, up to date even, yes? The Antonine Treason was 200 years ago.

Kaled

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on May 10, 2010, 06:29:04 PM
Though the War of Shadows is recent, up to date even, yes? The Antonine Treason was 200 years ago.
True, but it sounds like the Keltani Conclave still hasn't fully recovered yet despite it being two centuries ago.  Or, if you want, feel free to put an earlier event in the history of the Carthax Sector that roughly coincides with the Antonine Treason - and meant there weren't many spare Inquisitors to reinforce Keltani, some growing cult threat or alien menace that kept everyone busy...