Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Broodlord

Started by Obetor, May 17, 2010, 08:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obetor

Does anyone know a place where I can find stats to a Broodlord?

- Erik :)

Kaled

I don't remember seeing any anywhere. I assume you've seen the 'stealer rules that GW published a while back? I suggest you just make up some stats for a broodlord, then post them here for feedback - between us we'll come up with something good.

Given how terrifying a normal 'stealer is, I can't imagine many PCs lasting long against a broodlord. How do you plan to use him in the game? A broodlord is really a battlefield archetype - for Inquisitor I'd generally suggest 'stealer cultists backed up by the odd purestrain. But it all depends on what sort of a game you're planning...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Swarbie

Yeah, broodlords are nasty (not that I should have to tell anyone that). Maybe make it an end-of-campaign boss. And make it different. For example: Due to the higher than average level of psykers on planet Insertnamehere, when a genestealer cult lost its initial broodlord in a purge by Inquisitor Nameofchoice, the replacement itself was a highly psychic, although comparatively weak creature. Although the match of any of its purestrain brethren physically, the creature's true threat lay in the strength of the psychic beacon it was emitting, calling a number of Hive Fleets closer to the system. When bold Inquisitor Dreadnamehere decided to finish off the work of Inquisitor Nameofchoice, he found more than he had bargained for . . .

Then model an appropriately psychic-looking broodlord, perhaps with an Alien-esque look. Of course, you can take the "My Broodlord is Different" idea in other directions too.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Kaled

I think that in terms of Inquisitor, a Patriarch is better than a Broodlord. Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't read the latest 'nid codex), but isn't a Broodlord an engineered leader of battlefield troops, whereas a Patriarch is the bloated progenitor of a 'stealer cult?

Metellus

Quote from: Kaled on May 18, 2010, 02:59:03 PM
I think that in terms of Inquisitor, a Patriarch is better than a Broodlord. Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't read the latest 'nid codex), but isn't a Broodlord an engineered leader of battlefield troops, whereas a Patriarch is the bloated progenitor of a 'stealer cult?

This is true. While the Patriarch maintains the general cc awesomeness of the average Genestealer, it's more focused on psychic powers, due to the fact that a. it probably won't leave the cult's nesting site, and b. it needs the telepathic power to draw the Hive Fleets in. Broodlords, while possessing an increased form of the basic brood telepathy that Genestealers have (which can easily be represented by powers like Psychic Scream and Msemerism - both powers (or something akin to them) are what thew Broodlord has in standard 40k), are focused towards ripping open tanks with their fingernails.

Alyster Wick

Give him vestigial t-rex arms!

Obetor

Hey
Sorry for the late answer but I was hoping for a test game using the real Genestealer stats but it didnt happen :(

But my thoughts are givin it the same stats as SM, just not as good equipment, and give it same Spc. Rules as GS

Quote from: Alyster Wick on May 19, 2010, 05:40:52 AM
Give him vestigial t-rex arms!

Que ???

Shannow

I was browsing historex mini's shortly after reading this thread and thought this model could be helpful in somoe form of 'nid conversion, plus i think its damn good value at less than 20 quid!

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=EN54009
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Obetor

Quote from: Shannow on May 23, 2010, 09:33:13 PM
I was browsing historex mini's shortly after reading this thread and thought this model could be helpful in somoe form of 'nid conversion, plus i think its damn good value at less than 20 quid!

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=EN54009
I agree but im using 28 mm :)

Shannow

Ahhhh fair enough :) I may snap that one up at some point.... Damn having a credit card...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Ynek

Certain aspects of genestealer and broodlord 'fluff' just never sat right with me, and when I did a campaign featuring genestealer hybrids a while ago, I ended up just making up a lot of my own fluff.

The way that I like to think of it is that a genestealer cult undergoes certain changes when the hive fleet arrives. The purestrains, now under the control of the hive mind, eat all the hybrids as they are now more use as food than as soldiers. The patriarch (which is essentially a living beacon, bringing hive fleets in) is also no longer needed, as the hive fleet has already arrived. Thus, the patriarch undergoes various changes on a genetic level to become a broodlord. As the patriarch-broodlord has intimate knowledge and understanding of the world it inhabits, it will be a particularly good asset to the invaders, as it will be able to lead the genestealers into battle and as it has native knowledge, it knows where the planet's infrastructure is weakest.

Of course, this is entirely unofficial, but I like it.

Perhaps if you were looking for a toned-down broodlord, a partially-transformed patriarch-broodlord would suffice?
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaled

When the hive fleet arrives, wouldn't the knowledge the patriarch has just be absorbrd when he becomes part of the hive mind?  No need to transform the physical form of the patriarch - once the fleet arrives the cult is disposable.

precinctomega

The cult is NOT disposable.

It is very, very tasty...

R.

Discy

I seem to remember rules for a Broodlord in that GW Genestealer Cult campaign, who's title skips my mind at the moment. You know, the campaign with the new rules for fielding lots of NPCs at once. Aaargh, what's title... >:(
Beep if you love muties!

Kaled

You mean PrecinctOmega's Architecture of Hate campaign published by Fanatic Online? I believe you're right...