Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Todd Alexius Blaire

Started by Swarbie, April 02, 2010, 06:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

I like the fluff for Darkling. I hate to disagree with you, Molotov, but I actually feel that Darkling is more mysterious like this than he would be if he were a manifestation of those pople's belief in him. As he is now, by the fluff, we don't really know what Darkling is or where he came from (other than obviously a daemon and the Warp). Is he a manifestation of human fear in death? Does he work for an independent Daemon Lord? Our lack of knowledge about where he comes from also leaves a certain mystery about his 'endgame' goals. Yes, on the surface he's here to party, and eat as many souls as he can, but what if he has a more long-term plan? What role will T.A.B play? Will he draw his new host back to the world where he was first revered, and will his 'god made flesh' story make him some sort of perverse 'messiah'? Will the planet fall to rebellion, or will it be crushed by the Imperium (did someone say Exterminatus?). A planet with a dark and shameful past has a new visitor, and ruour has it he's more than a little weird...

Anyway, that's just my opinion (perhaps i'm a bit biased what with my particular love of all things daemonic), but you would seem to have a lot of ideas to play around with, and some interesting characters with which to do so. Good stuff, keep it up.

Swarbie

QuoteWill he draw his new host back to the world where he was first revered, and will his 'god made flesh' story make him some sort of perverse 'messiah'? Will the planet fall to rebellion, or will it be crushed by the Imperium (did someone say Exterminatus?). A planet with a dark and shameful past has a new visitor, and rumour has it he's more than a little weird...

Gods, I love this idea! This would make for a great campaign.

Now to get my reluctant 40k-playing friends to see the beauty of Inquisitor . . .

Quote(perhaps i'm a bit biased what with my particular love of all things daemonic)

Don't worry, I love my daemons too. Whether they're bound into hosts, unbound and killing at will, or just influencing people through tainted objects, they seem to personify the twistedness of the 40k-universe. These things are pure evil (at least, that's the Imperium's perspective), and remember, evil is fun.

Also your comment about Darkling becoming a messiah of sorts reminded me of an old piece of daemon-host fiction I was working on last year. I might put that up in the IC section.

Once again, my thanks to everyone for their support and useful comments, criticism and advice.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Swarbie

Ok. Been a little out of things recently, what with getting back to school and all, but today I had time to write up rules for T.A.B.'s bodyguard, Xerxes Steller. Enjoy. And, yes, he is going to be the "pew-pew" character. Also, did a minor edit to T.A.B.'s rules regarding his use of the neural suppressor.

When Diados Blaire realized that making use of his son's unusual "talent" would leave Todd completely unable to defend himself, he resolved to ensure his son's safety by hiring him a bodyguard. Although he looked through countless eager applicants, none of them struck him as being determined enough. Then Diados remembered an encounter with a friend and his personal retinue.

Inquisitor Isaiah Matathos had just finished rooting out a minor Chaos cult and Diados had been assisting him. Later that night, after many drinks, Isaiah began reciting the personal tales of each member of his retinue to Diados.  

Xerxes Steller had been a bounty hunter on the semi-modern world of Pallas. Known all over the planet, he was famous for never losing track of a target. The case that had drawn Inquisitor Matathos to him was particularly interesting. Xerxes' target had gone off-world, then had surgery to ensure he wouldn't be recognized. His target, the leader of a recently destroyed rebel group, found employment within the ranks of the local Arbites on Sycorath III. Xerxes committed a number of minor crimes, then allowed himself to be caught. Put in an overnight holding cell, he broke out, then made his way to the sleeping quarters. Dragging his frightened prey from his bunk, Xerxes presented the bounty and a record of all his target's actions since leaving Pallas. Inquisitor Matathos heard of this remarkable hunt, and immediately sought Xerxes out, offering him employment as a bodyguard, citing his obvious determination and bravery.

Soon, as the amasec kept flowing, Diados learnt more about Xerxes Steller.

Xerxes had been born in the year 970 M41. Although no-one was able to uncover the exact date, and Xerxes himself could not remember, the rest of his life was fairly easy to trace. Born to a seamstress, his father unknown, Xerxes grew up working hard. His mother had him help with her job as soon as he could walk, repairing the elaborately decorated fabrics of the aristocrats. Although he had some skill with a needle, he was always wishing for a life of adventure. When an accident at the local market ended in his mother's death, Xerxes, at the time only eight years old, had to grow up fast. He was put into a workhouse, and beaten regularly. After a further three years of toil, he escaped, and lived on the streets. He soon earned a reputation amongst local thieves for his fierce temper and swift punch, and he was left alone. One day, he saw a man running down the road, clutching a bag. Without knowing why, he took the man down with a flying tackle.

The man had just robbed a local jeweler. The jeweler, delighted to have his works of art back, gave the young boy what seemed at the time to be an exorbitant amount of money. Xerxes realized there could be a living in apprehending criminals for rewards. He spent his time training in back alleys, and soon he had caught a number of petty criminals. He came to the attention of the local Arbites, who gave him a list of targets, offering a reward for each one returned alive. In a matter of weeks, Xerxes had apprehended nearly half of the criminals, and had enough cash to start creating his own little business. Offers came in fast and thick once people began to hear of Xerxes successes, but he made sure he only took the highest-paying jobs, most of which were brought to him by the Arbites. After twenty years, he was a famous bounty hunter, and soon took up the case that brought him to the attention of Inquisitor Matathos.

Remembering this, Diados messaged Matathos, asking him if Xerxes could be transferred to his staff. Diados agreed, and gave Xerxes a finely crafted bolt pistol and a small holo-diary as a parting gift; for the two had grown close over the time Xerxes had spent protecting Matathos.

When Xerxes first met his new charge, he felt an instant connection with him. Something in this broken, mentally-battered young man spoke to him, triggering memories of his days in the workhouse. Diados saw this and presented Xerxes with a gift of his own in a gesture of good faith. This gift consisted of five specially prepared magazines of bolt pistol rounds and a psy-dampener. The pistol rounds were unique, similar in design to hellfire rounds, but replacing the acidic core with a vial of silver nitrate. As time went by, Diados would add to the amount of rounds he had available, stockpiling them in case of emergency.          

Xerxes Steller was now prepared to meet with Darkling.

WS  BS   S   T     I   WP  SG  NV  LD
63   72  66 68  64  52   34  73   61

Xerxes Steller is right-handed.

Equipment: Bolt pistol with God-fire rounds and 1 reload (also with God-fire rounds), lasrifle (military magazine, mid length barrel, standard muzzle, 21 megathule lasing chamber, Kantrael discharge generator, standard frame and heavy duty stock), heavy combat knife ( counts as short sword), psy-dampener (see Inquisitor Matathos' profile further down) and reinforced clothing (AV1 to all locations except head, chest and abdomen).

God-fire rounds: These count as hellfire bolt rounds, but only do additional damage if used against a character with the Daemonic special rule. They also count as Silver attacks where applicable. They are extremely rare, so Xerxes will only use them against daemons.

Special rules: Subdue, Rock Steady Aim, Deadeye Shot (lasrifle only), Heroic (only if T.A.B. is in danger), Needle-Work.

Needle-Work: Xerxes has a natural talent for sewing, and often practices the skill, claiming it reminds him of his mother. He is able to produce beautifully ornate pieces of clothing given sufficient time and the necessary materials.*

*Yes, this will almost definitely be of no use in-game.

EDIT: Reworded the God-fire round's ruling slightly.
With it, my world
To dust returning

The Nimbus

I'm a little late to the party but I must say I like the way this warband is coming together. The theme with the possessed psyker-child is great. I do have a few points that I'd like to comment on:

1. You Can't Kill Death seems like an overly complicated way of representing Daemonic - Impervious. Also, blessed ammunition and anointed weapons already have rules of their own and it seems unnecessary to make Darkling an exception from these rules.

2. This is a minor point, but is there any downside of having the Psi-dampener activated? As it is now I see no reason a character wouldn't just keep it on at all times. Maybe some sort of psychic feedback would be appropiate when a character turns it on, to make sure he only does so before unleashing the daemon.

That's my two cents. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Spelling

Swarbie

Hmmm, thanks for the ideas. I wanted Darkling to be pretty hard, and, if I remember correctly, models with Daemonic- Impervious take double damage from hits to the chest and head. Seeing as he is already taking extra damage from blessed weapons plus the bonuses these weapons normally give against daemons, I thought he should be a little harder to take down conventionally.

The idea of feedback on the psy-dampeners is a great little idea, and one that I might toy around with. At the moment, however, I'm working on the Inquisitor of this group, so I'll think about it later. 
With it, my world
To dust returning

The Nimbus

Actually you're mixing up Invulnerable and Impervious, whereas the first one doubles damage against chest and head and the latter makes the character resistant to normal attacks and vulnerable against silver and holy attacks.

Swarbie

Ah, thanks. Hmm, I will once again think on it.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Swarbie

Ok. It's been a while, but here's the leader of the group. I've posted revised rules for the psy-dampener here, so refer Xerxes' one to here. Enjoy.

Incoming message

Author: Xerxes Steller, Inquisition employee

Recipient: Inquisitor Isaiah Matathos, Ordo Hereticus

++ Isaiah . . . I don't know who else to go to. Diados is dead and Todd's in pretty bad shape. I know it's been a long time, but I need your help. One of those mad puritans, Ashbeth, caught us. He thought we were heretics. Well, who wouldn't, what with Todd the way he is? He tortured Diados, then me, and then Todd. He tried to remove Todd's neural suppressor. The thing shorted Todd out, then the next thing we know, we're running, with that daemon right behind us. Diados . . . fell behind. It got him.
I know you've always wanted the power to punish those who abandon the Emperor. Well, Todd can give you that. He's agreed to work with you if you save us.
We're hiding on Deuter IV. You know the place. Please, come get us. You're our only hope.
The Emperor Protects. ++

Isaiah Matathos was born in the year 890. M41. Placed in the care of the Schola Progenium after his parents' death in an unfortunate accident involving a taxi-speeder and a flock of wild ptera-squirrels, Isaiah was raised to despise and condemn the enemies of the Imperium. Noted for his discipline, determination and religious fervor, Inquisitorial agents selected him to work as a scribe to an administration-based inquisitor, Inquisitor Brant Gaius.

Isaiah recorded and stored the information collected by Inquisitor Gaius for ten years. Near the end of the tenth year, he noticed several discrepancies in the shipping and tithe records for Dea Enrika, a nearby agri-world. Notifying his master of his findings, the two worked together and uncovered a powerful heretical cult running deep into the society of Dea Enrika. Inquisitor Gaius convinced several of his peers to aid him, and then hit the cult with all the force of the God-Emperor's wrath. As Isaiah watched the planet's capital burning from orbit, something stirred deep within him. The other inquisitors there that day saw his potential, and urged Gaius to take him on as an acolyte.

Isaiah served as Inquisitor Brant Gaius' acolyte for another thirty years. At the end of this period, Gaius and two other inquisitors who had been present at the destruction of Dea Enrika verified his ascension to the level of Inquisitor, and he took his place in the Ordo Hereticus. He immediately set to work gathering a series of contacts and acquaintances across the galaxy. Eventually, he had created a vast information network, maintained and updated by over a hundred clerks of the Administratum. While he made great use of this network, Isaiah preferred field work, enjoying the sensation of chasing heretics down. He quickly learnt to make the most of his authority, condemning those he opposed.

He also discovered that he was more liked when he dressed in a military manner, and so now his clothing and equipment is often reminiscent of an Imperial Guard officer's, although it is far better quality.

Over time, his strictly puritan ideals slowly dissolved, and now, although he is as dedicated as ever, he can accept "aberrations" such as Todd. Now he hunts down heretics, and sets a creature from their darkest nightmares upon them.

WS  BS   S   T     I   WP  SG  NV  LD
55   68  59 62  73  78   83  76   77

Inquisitor Isaiah Matathos is right-handed.

Equipment: Inquisitorial Seal, Inquisitorial papers, psy-dampener, power sword, reinforced clothing (AV1 to all locations except head), laspistol (Hotshot magazine, Blueshift Doppler muzzle, mid-length barrel, 18 megathule lasing chamber, Thacian discharge generator, standard grip, standard frame).

Inquisitorial papers- Used to verify Isaiah's identity when the technology to read his Seal is unavailable.

Psy-dampener: While this device is activated, its user counts as an untouchable. When it is deactivated, there is a 10% chance that it will discharge ineffectively, resulting in the user being Stunned for D3 turns. If a psyker is within 3 yards when this happens, they are Stunned for one turn. 1 action to activate/ deactivate.

Special abilities: Word of the Emperor- Condemnation, Leader, True Grit, Fated Phobia.

Condemnation- Isaiah condemns his opponent, summoning all his authority to make them cower in fear as he strides towards them. This counts as Word of the Emperor, but can be focused against a single opponent within hearing range (count Isaiah as yelling). If the character hears him, they must immediately pass a Nerve test at -30% or treat Isaiah as Fearsome for D10 turns.

Fated Phobia- Ever since the death of his parents, Isaiah has had a phobia of ptera-squirrels. Although he attempts to avoid them whenever possible, they turn up when they are least expected, and more often than can be explained. Isaiah treats ptera-squirrels, images of ptera-squirrels, or sounds similar to those made by a ptera-squirrel (squeak!) as Terrifying. Also, the GM should feel free to include ptera-squirrels in any game including Isaiah, providing someone present has appropriate models and rules for these furred death-fiends.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Flinty

Nice - I really like the concept of the Darkling and the way you have expanded the group, the ptera-squirrels are a nice (comedy) touch, reminds me a little of Frank Miller's 'Dark Knight' (Batman has some 'mental' issues when confornted by muggers similar to those who killed his parents and some very wierd connections with bat swarms).

Couple of minor points (although depends on your group's playing style and power levels of course);

Psy-dampner. Untouchable might be a bit overpowerd; as someone suggested to me, something like  increasing/doubling the difficulty for powers used by attacking psychers might be a bit more balanced.

Condemnation - 3D10 turns seems a bit long (a maximum of 30 turns might last a whole game!) and at -30 to Nv tests seems likely to be highly effective - at least against non-Inquisitor characters. I think most of the Conclave would see Terryifying as pretty powerful, possibly even game skewing, an effect best preserved for actual daemonic manifestations. Perhaps replace that with Fearsome and/or make it last for a shorter (1D6 turns?) duration.

Neanderthal and Proud!

MarcoSkoll

I'm going to have to agree with Flinty on the Condemnation thing. 3D10 turns is a looooong time.

As far as fearsome and terrifying, this is how I normally apply them:

~~~~~

Fearsome
- Visually scary. Basically, if it looks like a fight with it will result in your gory and unpleasant death - as a result, I personally give Space Marines fearsome. A seven foot tall genetically engineered power armoured killing machine - nobody should need to be told that's dangerous.
(And frankly, if an arcoflagellant gets fearsome, a Space Marine should too.)

- Abomination of natural law. Something that shouldn't be. Zombies and lesser Daemonhosts would count. Most mutants will not (and exceptions will probably be really unpleasant Chaos fuelled mutations).

On the note that some people have scarring causing fear... being a bit ugly does not make you scary. If you're so horrifically scarred that you look like you simply shouldn't be still be moving, then you may qualify for "abomination against natural law", but ONLY if your scars are obviously and blatantly on display.
And frankly, if you're that heavily scarred, I'd expect at least some other penalties to go with it - you're hardly going to be in peak physical health.

Terrifying
- Aura of raw fear. The being actually exudes terror into its surroundings. Manifest daemons would be a good example.

- Deeply engrained phobias. The way you've dealt with ptera-squirrels here is pretty good actually.

~~~~~

Beyond this, I do actually apply fear reasonably liberally on a more specific basis... one character fearing a specific other because of a previous bad encounter with them. Or indeed, characters temporarily gaining fear of someone who's just made mincemeat of one of their mates.

But at the same time, I allow characters to become immune to certain fears if they triumph over them sufficiently or consistently. (For example, if someone does very well in a fight against zombies, they may become immune to fear from them. However, do sufficiently badly... and they might well regain a fear - or if they never got over it in the first place, have it turn into terror!)

But in short, Terror is something I use quite scarcely. I do have a character that can become Terrifying, but she's a rather powerful psyker who, among other things, can manipulate emotions.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Swarbie

Hmmm, good point. I will edit it.
With it, my world
To dust returning