Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

PC Necrons

Started by Nevermore2010, May 27, 2010, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevermore2010

I want to create a necron based warband, the main character of which will be a necron posing as a member of the Adaptus Mechanicus. Unfortunatly there isnt many rules out there for Necrons in Inquisitor, i guess my question is has anyone here created a baseline for Necrons? or any rules for necron based weapons (besides the one listed in the Rule book).

I have often felt that Necrons are under presented in both 40k and Inquisitor, i know this is partly due to GW reluctance in bringing out a new codex that expands the current fluff. Most of the current superstition currently comes from the Horus Herasy books, that seem to want to make out that one of the C'tan (the Void Dragon) is actually on mars and was once (possibly still is being) worshiped by the Ad Mech. Of course GW hasn't confirmed or denyed this and should i make this the basis for a character... well potential for annoyance lol.

Sigh... anyone who has some helpful idea's or comments about Necron history or Necron rules in Inquisitor, please post anything you have.
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

Brother_Brimstone

A large reason why there are few Necrons in Inquisitor is that it's all about the secret battles, feuds and contests within the Imperium. Only very high-level and independent Necrons actually have the wherewithall to conceal themselves as humans, and even then it's difficult. This brings me to the next point which is that they are generall, by definition, mindless and generic (with the exception of Lords), making all but the most powerful necrons unsuitable for Inquisitor.

If you do wish to play as a Lord there's the issue of balance; it would most definitely have to be a 'one man warband' like playing a space marine.

I'm not saying don't under any circumstances, but you have a lot to bear in mind, and it will be difficult involving the character in the average game of Inquisitor.

Nevermore2010

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on May 27, 2010, 08:10:39 PM
A large reason why there are few Necrons in Inquisitor is that it's all about the secret battles, feuds and contests within the Imperium. Only very high-level and independent Necrons actually have the wherewithall to conceal themselves as humans, and even then it's difficult.

I agree with that to some extent, however its clear from the Codex that the Deciver and his agents have been at work within the Imperium for many years, and the lack of information means we cant rule out a hitherto unknown 'genesteler' kind of necron, one that blends into human society inorder to spy on their weeknesses. Indeed that would be great for us in inquisitor.

Brother_Brimstone

There definitely are infiltrator necrons - read Xenology for a prime example. However, as stated, they're highly powerful - any necrons need to be highly powerful just to have free will, they have to be a Lord. So as i say - it's a one man warband affair, unless you're playing in a very high power level group.

dumdeedum

You could maybe have some kind of 'necron-ified' ad-mech warband? Maybe a group of tech-priests or the like (my ad-mech lingo is severely lacking) who have stumbled across/ obtained a load of necron tech. Then they've turned themselves into necron-esque beings. I'm explaining it badly, but I'm sure someone out there will understand.

Admitedly its not necrons, but it would allow you to use a load of necron-ey things and you dont need to have a necron lord to have it. Then again you've got to get past the whole necron-teleport thing where you're necron gear vanishes.

Just an idea, might be totally infeasible, but I'd have thought some ad-mech might try and do it.

Kaled

What sort of a look are you going for for this warband? How do you plan to model them?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Nevermore2010

I suppose an dark ad mech warband who worship the void dragon (the most likely C'tan for ad mechs to follow) wouldnt be amiss, perhaps searching for a way to awaken/release the void dragon.

As for the models, the leader will be a Gruss Conversion, with a Fanatic lacky in tow. I also plan to have a crono gladiator.

I want the gruss to be fairly necron influenced, will have to work out a backstory to explain how hes able to use necron tech, specifically the Gauss Flayer listed in the Rule book, and probably an imperial version of the Staff of light (not ACTUALLY a staff of light, just a modified Gauss Flayer made to look like one, after all... any human who wants to follow the C'tan is more than a little crazy).

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nevermore2010 on May 27, 2010, 09:48:08 PMwill have to work out a backstory to explain how hes able to use necron tech, specifically the Gauss Flayer listed in the Rule book
Many people on this forum take the Gauss Flayer represented in the rulebook to be an inferior Imperial copy anyway.

Necron technology naturally phases out, won't be built so that humans can use it, and should be considerably more powerful than LRB's rules would suggest (it would be the kind of power level I wouldn't condone on a regular PC) - while it's described as the Necron version, it really doesn't match up as such.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aidan

Quote from: Nevermore2010 on May 27, 2010, 09:48:08 PM
I suppose an dark ad mech warband who worship the void dragon (the most likely C'tan for ad mechs to follow) wouldnt be amiss, perhaps searching for a way to awaken/release the void dragon.

As for the models, the leader will be a Gruss Conversion, with a Fanatic lacky in tow. I also plan to have a crono gladiator.

I want the gruss to be fairly necron influenced, will have to work out a backstory to explain how hes able to use necron tech, specifically the Gauss Flayer listed in the Rule book, and probably an imperial version of the Staff of light (not ACTUALLY a staff of light, just a modified Gauss Flayer made to look like one, after all... any human who wants to follow the C'tan is more than a little crazy).

Well, Kaled and I have both made characters combining AdMech and necron bits, so you've plenty to go on. The necron destroyer's gauss cannon makes for a good gauss flayer, and whether the technology is an actual necron piece (somehow not phased out) or a replica (which, given the ritualistic obsessions of human technologists, would likely be made exactly to the original) it fits. Come to think of it, the destroyer is just generally a great piece for Inquisitor conversions.

As for the rules, I use a slightly modified version of the "necrontyr gauss flayer" in the rulebook (which is pretty bad, actually, though it can be nasty in a drawn-out battle). Either make it more damaging, or give it more shots, and you have a feasible weapon.

Kaled

If you're going to use Gruss as a base, I think it makes sense to have him as an AdMech with an interest in Necron tech (why is it that people always make AdMech who experiment with Necron stuff? Why not more who investigate Tau, Tyranid, Eldar, Xenarch, Hrud etc technology?).

If you want him to be a Necron disguised as an AdMech, then I'd go for a less standard AdMech look to the model - maybe using Technocop as a base as his legs/torso look very similar to some artwork of Pariahs.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

dumdeedum

I think its probably the whole necrons being entirely machines( or made of metal, if you don't consider them machines) that makes people associate them with the admech. Sure other xeno tech is awesome but it is still just an attachment, something that can be used by them, rather than becoming a machine themselves. Or at least thats my take on it aswell, probably also comes from having not a huge amount of information o them which means you can decide what it can do and can't.

I myself would go for the tau as they're the only xenos which i know even a small amount about.

I also like the idea of imperial versions of the necron technology, you could even have it that as your character develops he discovers more and more about the necron and comes closer and closer to having an imperial made replica of some necron tecnology.

Dust King

Quote from: Kaled on May 28, 2010, 09:18:48 AM
(why is it that people always make AdMech who experiment with Necron stuff? Why not more who investigate Tau, Tyranid, Eldar, Xenarch, Hrud etc technology?).

I need money now!!

A rogue adeptus biologis with an obsession with incorporating alien biological material into humans, that is definitely going to be my next warband!

Lets see, a few tyranid parts on the muscle, a part hrud spy/sniper, a assassin/infiltrator with modified tau ethereal pheromone glands and perhaps some eldar parts for the magos himself...

Great modelling and a perfect nemesis for my ordo xenos inquisitor, I need to start saving for this.

N01H3r3

Quote from: Dust King on May 31, 2010, 08:10:44 AM
A rogue adeptus biologis with an obsession with incorporating alien biological material into humans, that is definitely going to be my next warband!
Ah, the Transgenic Blasphemy; one of the only things utterly guaranteed to get the Inquisition, the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Ecclesiarchy angry at you all at once.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

Metellus

Just want to point out a few things here...
Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 27, 2010, 10:03:52 PM

Many people on this forum take the Gauss Flayer represented in the rulebook to be an inferior Imperial copy anyway.

To quote the Necron codex concerning the armour-defeating capabilities of a gauss weapon and the energy requirements of such:

...would require an energy source so powerful that it is unlikely we could replicate it on any weapon system save that employed by a Titan or starship...
Replicas of Necron technology are physically impossible. Unless one of your main characters is a Titan.

However, that said, it is theoretically possible to stop a Necron phasing out (see Hellforged by Ben Counter for reference), and therefore take its weaponry for personal use. My current idea of how the 'Crons get such powerful weaponry on a man-portable scale is thus: transference of electricity by electromagnetic radiation of some form (which is possible). Therefore, one would have to utilise the part of a Necron that captures and utilises such power, and connect it to the Gauss weapon. That said, the power-transferance matrix would obviously be linked to the power supply, which in fluff is most likely the Necron's Tomb World of origin, and therefore the possibility exists for phase-out upon connection.
There's a lot of problems, but if you can find away around them I'd be more than happy to see the end result.

Quote from: N01H3r3 on May 31, 2010, 11:47:00 AM
Ah, the Transgenic Blasphemy; one of the only things utterly guaranteed to get the Inquisition, the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Ecclesiarchy angry at you all at once.
That and free, unfettered thought.