Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

God of Bone Campaign

Started by Aleosvance, June 05, 2010, 06:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleosvance

Hey all, i am planning to start a campaing soonand i was hoping for some help.

The campaign is centred around a daemon, locked in a wraithbone shell and sealed in stasis far below the surface of a palnet far out in empty space, that has been woken from its' slumber by a group of settlers arriving on the palnet fleeing imperial justice, who subsequently began to worship the thing.

The three sides are my Inquisitor, Basitan Augustus Magnus Reiker and his team, who sealed the daemon away originally, a radical from the ordo hereticus, Inquisitor Syrus Aurelian, a monodominant with a history of grudges against Reiker and a suspicion that he is up to something (correctly), and a techpriest, Orion Arknai, who is only after the wraithbone, and has no idea about the daemon.

The daemon itself is the Fateweaver of Tzeentch, which has had the two heads separated and bound to seperate objects, the other half to the daemonsword, which is the objective of the first scenario.

The chase will lead the characters to an imperial hive world near the edge of imperial space, where most of the story will take place, with the opening on an abandoned starship and the ending in the caves with the daemon.

DapperAnarchist

Well, it sounds like a rather fun campaign. However, there are a couple things which stand out -

How does Reiker, a Radical of the Hereticus, know enough about Daemons and Eldar to bind a Daemon to Wraithbone? That would be pretty high level stuff, and not really the sort of thing that would be found in the Hereticus (perhaps he used to do other stuff?)

Also... The Fateweaver? That's a really huge freaking threat. I mean, banishing or binding the Fateweaver would normally be a job for an experienced Exorcist and a back up of Grey Knights. He/It/They are among the most powerful servants of Tzeentch.

Other than that, it seems fine...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Chipperz

First up, I'm using the "Daemon trapped in a Wraithbone Prison" thing for my campaign so I can safely say I think the idea is excellent ;D

That said, I agree with DapperAnarchist - unless your warbands are tricked out with Inquisitor Lords, Grey Knights and daemonhunting gear, the Fateweaver itself would most likely destroy your guys, even if they teamed up (which doesn't sound that likely).  Might I suggest a slightly weaker daemon?  A Herald of Tzeench would still be a tough fight, but not a simple flick of the wrist obliteration that you're courting at the moment.

Also, Reiker's involvement could be easily explained as having him as part of a cell that involved equally radical Malleus and Xenos Inquisitors, getting round any issues of knowledge of daemons and wraithbone.  I cheated with the age-old "The Eldar did it" card.
Proud devotee to Mork.  Or the Emperor.  Whichever one doesn't get me killed.

Aleosvance

That's excellent, thanks, especially the idea about a cell of inquisitors, i think i will probably use that. The reason i picked the Fateweaver is it has two heads, both blind to the present, one seeing only into the past and one into the future. Also one head tells all lies and one always tells the truth, which may make for some interesting conversations, although a herald or a prince may be more appropriate.

The one issue i was having was with equipment, as the players picked their own models. Although most of the characters have a mix of common but effective weapons such as shotguns, lasguns, pistols, an assassin with a falchion and one sister repentia with an eviscerator, Arknai's adeptus mechanicus team are really quite well equipped, much better than the rest, and Aurelian has power armour, a power weapon and a bolter (which i may be able to tone down). Reiker is also, although lightly armed and armoured, a very powerful psychic. The biggest issue by far is Aurelian, as nobody else has a power weapon or similar, except for the person who gets the daemonsword in the first mission (most likely Reiker as he is looking for it). The situation i want to avoid is one where the lead characters are so good that they can only be threatened by each other. It feels rude of me to ask for more help, but any ideas would be welcome.

Chipperz

On the subject of the Fateweaver, I've had another thought - it could still be the one pulling the strings, but the trapped creature is a Herald or somesuch (maybe even the soul of a cultist that sacrificed itself to get bound instead of it's master?) that talks for the greater daemon, literally channeling the Fateweaver. This also changes a potentially Monty Python-esque scene with the two heads arguing into a creepy Gollum style Multiple Personality Disorder with a single creature having a discussion with itself while talking to the players. If the players dont get rid of the daemon if/when it gets free, make sure they know it's presence will bring the Fateweaver, which is 'bye bye planet' time.

While they're doing this, give them information about the other players from an 'anonymous source', which is the Fateweaver getting into their heads. Make sure the information is 90% true - this will make the lies setting them against each other instead of the daemon harder to spot...

At least, that's what I'd do with Tzeench bad guys.

On the subject of weapons, I find Shock weapons to be a nice answer to Power weapons. Give it to normal weapons, and you have something that can stand against a Power Weapon without being massively overpowered. Also, Power Armour doesn't make you immune to Choke gas... :P

Necris

I've always found that the best way of limiting powerful characters is set the environment against them.

For instance main character has a bolter have a scenario in a power plant/chem plant/ fuel depot etc where wil bolter shells = not a nice time for all involved

but I've also found that a good player will over come such things as power armour, it's not the character and the stats and the armour than make the game it's the player I used to play games where my poor all human warband often faced off against marines and power armoured psykers etc, yet I rarely complained
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Aleosvance

Thanks, those are excellent, i hadn't thought of half of those, and a cultist channeling the fateweaver is fantastic. Thanks again.

Aleosvance

Sorry to double post, but i had a thought that came as really quite scary - i ahev never actually played in a campaign before, so any advice on how to handle the whole thing would be welcome.

Kaled

There are a couple of Fanatic & DM articles that deal with running a campaign - have you read those?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Chipperz

This is an excellent start.  Out of interest, have you never played an Inquisitor campaign before, or any RPG at all?

Also, this has been bugging me (I seriously love the premise of this campaign, it's made me think about it a lot)...  Why did you call the campaign 'God of Bone'?  It's such a spectacularly evocative title that the idea of a Herald of the Fateweaver just doesn't seem to fit.

Aleosvance

Thanks for those. Unfortunatley my circle of friends and gaming buddies is really rather small, and I haven't got lots of time to track down a group, so I am only going to get to play a campaign if I run it, as the others tend to follow me, because I have been playing the longest by far.

The name of the campaign was just the best one I could come up with, but any suggestions as to improvements would be more than welcome.

Aleosvance

Again, sorry to double post but something has just occured to me - I don't have a whole lot of terrain. I am playing at 40k scale, so it's not an unfixable problem, and i've reconciled myself to the fact that I will have to buy some, but if anybody has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Chipperz

OK, on 40k scale Inquisitor, I've found using a 2 foot by 2 foot board and measuring in centimetres makes for a fast, fun game, and stops weirdness like an inch tall model jumping a gap half a foot wide.  If you're going to a Hive World...

Those little Pringles tubes make great vats, as do those big tubs of Wrigley's Extra gum.  I'm in the process of painting them up, then I'm going to fill them with PVA glue to make it look like they're full of wierd gunk.
Cut up the remains of the plastic frames and glue them onto hard cardboard.  Painted up, they look like piles of scrap and make great obstacles/fences.
If you can find a copy, the cardboard Necromunda terrain is gorgeous, and is bona fide Hive World scenery!

Or, you can talk to the manager of your local Games Workshop - ours lets us have a few blocks of the modular gaming board, and our pick of the scenery from there, which has the benefit of looking fantastic (if not always matching ;D ).

Aleosvance

Heroka Vendile

Additionally for something cheap - if you have them, use the space hulk board pieces for any maze/bunker/warren/tunnel based scenarios.
If you don't have them, then just about anything will do in their place - cereal box card being the cheapest alternative.

Obviously these are much more appropriate for gaming at home, in which case dig out any Lego you have as well - the ol' plastic bricks are excellent for whatever you need them to become.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy