Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Implant weapon penalties?

Started by Shannow, June 09, 2010, 02:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

Hey there guys, on the subject of implant weaponry, if you had one implanted in your offhand would it be acceptable to reduce the penalty for firing this weapon on its own or at the same time as firing one in the main hand? Or even would it be justification for ambidexterity?

On a similar note, how well would mechandrites compensate for the lack of said offhand?

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Myriad

In my view, no.  Unless implant weapons are considered easier to use overall, it is still their off hand being used.  One of my characters has an implanted powerfist and still gets the penalty, when I remember it.  It's a fairly lazy justification for ambidexterity as well, since an implant weapon wouldn't affect someone's handedness.

Mechadendrites, on the other hand, clearly have their own set of neural links and maybe should be classified as off hands due to that, but fall outside of normal handedness.  Same with actual bionics, possibly.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kaled

I agree with Myriad. Although a lot will depend on the quality of an implant. For example, if a guardsman gets a bionic arm with a crude neural interface to replace their good hand, they should count as having two off-hands. On the other hand, a high ranking tech-priest who gets himself a fancy new arm and fancy new cranial circuits may find his dexterity improved so he's effectively ambidextrous.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shannow

Ok thats cool, to put it in context (and so the reason I asked) is that the implant weapon will occupy the whole lower arm more or less and my thinking was that it made it very simple to point and fire, but I am more than happy to accept the penalties.

In terms of mechandrites I more meant how wold they compensate in terms of normal hand actions, as obviously he  will be limited in his actions with one hand, so for things like climbing ladders, reloading etc. Things other than mechanical interface which they obviously provide a benefit.

Again for context the character is a Phaenonite Inquisitor, the controlling hand of a large sub-sector crime syndicate, as well as being in connection with a radical tech-priest, who is not fully aware of the Inquisitors allegiance, so thinking him only a minor radical.

Cheers all anyway :)

Ps. I hope it doesn't come across that I'm just trying to cheat my way out of penalties, thats really not why I'm asking. Sorry if it comes across as that though.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.