Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ladders and stairs

Started by Kaled, May 21, 2010, 08:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

I need some ladders and stairs for a terrain project, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a supplier. I know Plastruct do a good range - does anyone know of a cheap, reliable online shop that sells their stuff? Or is there anyone else who makes such things?

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Heroka Vendile

depending on the exact sort of ladder your after - for something more like a narrow maintenance ladder the Lego one is worth a bash (44p, available as an individual part from the Lego website (go Shop > By Category > Individual Bricks > Pick a Brick > then just search "ladder" in the advanced search box) ), it's about 10-12cm long if memory serves.

For something wider, Playmobil are another good source (about an inch wide), however it doesn't look like you can buy individual ladders on their online store.

I would also recommend looking into ladders intended for G Scale railways, such as these. 1/24th scale usually looks good next to heroic 1/32nd stuff like Inquisitor
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

kierkegaard

E.M.A. Model Supplies sell all kinds of plastic bits and pieces.

Alyster Wick

I've always found that fencing wire is a cheap and flexible way to make ladders.  Just go to your nearest hardware store and find fencing with a grid pattern space out to meet your needs.  You can then clip it and use the excess wire bits to connect it to whatever project your using (if it's supposed to be a permanently afixed maintenance ladder).

Kaled

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on May 21, 2010, 01:20:11 PM
for something more like a narrow maintenance ladder the Lego one is worth a bash
That actually looks pretty good for the price - I might get a few...

QuoteI would also recommend looking into ladders intended for G Scale railways, such as these. 1/24th scale usually looks good next to heroic 1/32nd stuff like Inquisitor
Yeah, I was thinking 1/24 might be better than 1/32 - those ones look a bit expensive though...  These also look good, as do these stairs - both are a bit more expensive than I'd hoped, but would work well and would save me lots of time.  I haven't yet found anywhere that sells them much cheaper, but I'll let you know if I do.

Quote from: Alyster Wick on May 21, 2010, 02:51:47 PM
I've always found that fencing wire is a cheap and flexible way to make ladders
I thought about that, and it'd work well for ladders up the outside of a building, but most of what I need are ones for the inside unfortunately.  But I'll probably use that idea to make railings - I have some wire mesh from a garden project which, while not exactly what I'd wanted, will work okay.

Heroka Vendile

as a more general suggestion for people at large rather than your project Dave, if anyone is doing a rural-style terrain set, I'd recommend this set as a good selection of rustic extras.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaled

One of the things I did buy for for my project are some 1/35 sandbags, barrels and jerry cans by Tamiya - they look like they'll work nicely and were pretty cheap. I also got some larger barrels, which I guess were designed for a doll house, but which look rather good.

gwrulz

I got some custom stairs and can hook you up

Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!

Kaled

Very nice - I got some elsewhere, but they do look good...  Maybe next time.