Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Duo that work for a shadowy inquisitor, stats and story..

Started by Shannow, June 13, 2010, 07:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

These guys work for Inquisitor Godfrey, an undesigned character who I don't intend to field for a long time, but use his power and personal ideals to send Jon and Dak off into various different interesting scenarios on whatever pretense he decides to give.

Jonathan Cade

Stats

WS   BS   S    T      I    Wp    Sg    Nv   Ld   Spd
62   74   59   63   83   68   59   77   60   5(6)

- Right handed

- Skills – Acrobat, Lightening Reflexes, Dodge, Gunfighter

- Weapons – Micro SMG with 1 reload, Magnum Stubber loaded with Manstopper bullets and 1 reload of the same, Sword

- Armour – Heavy coat on torso, abdomen and arms (2), flak on legs (3) and hat (1)

- Equipment – Mechandrite barbed tail, Glavian Bio-circuitry, advanced bionic eyes and ears, Comm-link.  

Gellan Dakeyras

Stats

WS   BS   S    T      I     Wp   Sg   Nv    Ld   Spd
48   79   56   54   69   61   67   79   54    4

- Right handed

- Skills – Deadeye Shot, Medic, Booby traps

- Weapons – Silenced precision sniper with 1 sub-calibre saboted magazine and 1 regular magazine reload, silenced compact stubber with two reloads, knife and knuckle duster (L)

- Armour –Flack all over except head (3)

- Equipment – Camo-cloak  -20% modifier at attempts to spot Dakeyras, enough material for 3 booby traps OR 1 meltabomb, medi-pack, Comm-link. Also has night vision goggle (1 action to wear/remove).

'Jon?'

'Yes Dak?'

'Aside from the fact we've spent 5 years in this crappy cell and you snore like a Grox.... it was definitely worth it'

'Thank you Dak; I had completely forgotten that gem of knowledge since you last imparted it yesterday'

With that remark Jonathan Cade stood with a distinctly sarcastic grin on his face, lit only by the dim silver moonlight that filtered into the cell. A cell shared by himself, an ex-glavian fighter pilot who had been imprisoned for a faulty weapon discharge that had killed some important people during an acrobatic flight display; and Gellan Dakeyras, known as Dak.

What Dak had been reffering to, and did so every single day of the 5 years they had co-habited, was that his distinctly impressive assassination of a world governor whose inability to rule had seen Dak's family starve to death whilst he served as an Imperial Pathfinder; was in fact 'worth it'.

As the two men chuckled despite their grim surroundings, they both suddenly jerked to face the door. Both having professions and skills where their senses were everything, it took extreme skill to catch them unawares. After a few tense moments the cell door creaked open with a grating metallic groan.

In the doorway stood a tall man, though shorter than the very tall Jon, clothed in a deep purple-black hooded cowl, and behind him was very, very muscular man.

'Jonathan Cade?' Uttered the hooded man in a deep resonant and authoritative voice.

'Yeah.'

'Your reputation precedes you.'

'How nice. Does that mean you're going to kill me quicker or slower?'

'Very droll Mr. Cade, I am however, not here to kill you. I for one think you still have the potential to be quite useful to the Imperium.'

'Do you know? Did you hear that Dak? Useful the man says. And who exactly are you?'

The hooded, imposing man reached a claw of a hand into his cowl and produced what looked to be an ancient rosette.

'I am of his Emperor's holy order of Inquisitors. I offer you life in my service or death at his', he said with an inclination of his head to the burly beast of a man stood behind him, who was wearing disturbingly cleanable clothes.

That seems a very fine arrangement wouldn't you say Dak?

'Would trust this sh*t as far as I could throw him Jon, but as definitely beats dying' replied Dak, 'You pay well do you?' he inquired.

'I do apologise' the hood intoned in an entirely unapologetic manner, 'this offer extends only to Mr. Cade, I am afraid Mr. 'Dak' (Dak said in a drawling manner of smug cruelty) that you are just a little collateral'

'Ah' sighed Jon followed by a deep inhalation as if about to deal with a child. 'Not the brightest of sparks for an Inquisitor are you? Or clearly half of my reputation that you don't value failed to reach your ears'.

'Am I to take it you disapprove?' the hood merrily asked?

'Indeed Mr. Inquisitor, I do disapprove. 5 years with this man, and we go together or not at all.'

'I see', turning to the burly man, the Inquisitor held out his hand and received a data slate. 'Hmmm interesting' he murmured 'It appears you too may be useful 'Dak', and such a naughty boy'

Talking to the burly man, 'for the love of the Emperor don't just stand there! Get them some clean clothes and a shower, then deliver them to the Precipice'

As it turned out the 'Precipice' was the Inquisitors personal ship, a beautiful machine that made Jon pang for the pleasure of flight and Dak oddly miss his cell. The Inquisitor revealed that his name was Godfrey (though he did not, and never has revealed his face), and that Jon and Dak would serve as his personal retainers, doing everything that he bid, in the assurance that they were aiding the Imperium and that if they did not they would die. A fact that he did not elaborate upon was that his radical inclinations within the Inquisition would frequently bring Jon and Dak into conflict with the Imperium's best, biggest and brightest.

Though, as it happens, this was a fact Jon and Dak relished in. The two disillusioned comrades enjoyed the spilling of Imperial blood every bit as much as that of the unclean, and they used their service to Godfrey as both a job and a vessel of revenge.

Now having served Godfrey in his chaotic crusade of oddly hypocritical purgation for 5 decades, kept young and quick my many an augmentation, their fury and zeal at their imprisonment and the Imperium's injustice has lessened not at all, as they perceive their work to allow the remit to right what they think of as wrong in the universe.

These are the models I am going to use:

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad4/jerusalem-man/?action=view&current=Photoon2010-06-12at2309.jpg&newest=1  For Jon

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad4/jerusalem-man/?action=view&current=Photoon2010-06-12at1421.jpg&newest=1  For Dak

More pictures of those two and how I sculpted Jon can be found at this thread:

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=788.0

As I play with these two characters I would like it if an opposition Inquisitor uncovers evidence that the weapon malfunction that imprisoned Jon was in fact planned by Godfrey in a long term plan to disillusion him and gain his skills. For that reason I imagine Godfrey to be a Daemon meddling recongregator or such like.

I have a feeling that people may think they are too powerful, so I fully except and completely welcome any criticism! hope you enjoyed reading it through anyway :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Myriad

Another Gemmell reference, I note.

I like the backgrounds, and the feel of the character stats.  They are quite powerful, but not overly tough or heavily equipped, which goes a long way in terms of mitigation in my experience.  They're certainly not in the "oh crud we're all going to die" (Evandon's usual state of mind, I confess) category.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Shannow

Indeed their names are a mish mash of 4 characters from 2 books.... I was struggling with names and decided to take *cough* inspiration *cough* from Gemmell :P

Glad you think they aren't too beef, I am writing some toned down rules in case I play them with more characters anyway. I'm hoping that the heavy 'dodge' abilities on Jon will keep him alive more than his armour anyway :D

Thanks for input

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Brother_Brimstone

I used to comment on others' characters more than I have recently - blame it on my damned exams. Anyway, found a spot of time around the Descartes to read your character's backstory, and I like it. The writing style has a good sense of humour to it and while that is a comment about you rather than your characters I would say because of the style it makes them seem more characterful and gives them a nice extra dimension. I'm all up for gallow's humour!

I like the shadowy inquisitor thing - i'm using a somewhat similar idea at the moment of an Inquisitor who acts through his agents rather than getting his hands dirty himself. You see a lot of people posting 'action inquisitors' and while that's fine, it's nice to see ones who would rather let others do the life-risking!

I wouldn't say those two are over-powered at all, in fact to me they seem quite well balanced. The skills, stats and equipment all have to taken into account together, and i would say that these two balance the three nicely, with no excessive stats, no ridiculous weaponry and no ridiculous skill-stacks.

As for the armour thing, give it a couple of games and see how it goes. You can always give them a forcefield if they die too often (as i had to do with Zophar - but his real problem was his low toughness, combined with light armour). I think if you add the psyker to those two you would have an interesting and well-balanced warband. As I say, a good indication of how stats play is to use the characters in a couple of games and fine-tune accordingly; i was worried Willie was going to be underpowered due to low stats, but his excessive amount of bombs balances his low stats so he plays fine. Having said that, as i say, at a glance those stats seem good to me.

Hope i've added something rather than just rambling pointlessly...

Shannow

Ahhh Descartes is very good though, I read his Discourse of Method and found it very interesting, I commend your reading  sir!

Thanks for the feedback it was nice to read and definitely dissipates many fears regarding balance, plus someone taking an interest is just good! The psyker character (who I've just added a small wrist mounted poison blade too courtesy of an Assassins Creed 2 dabble this evening :P) will probably be control power heavy with the likes of puppet master and such. I like the idea of him pulling people into the range or sight of these two's gun power. Mwahahaha!

Btw I really like the whole Zophar and Willie dynamic and look forward to seeing their new addition and enemies develop :)

Thanks again!

Time to die.