Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rayner WIP

Started by Rayner, July 07, 2010, 12:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayner

Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I've done any painting or modelling, but after coming across the conclave a few weeks ago my inspiration was rekindled.
Rooting through my cupboards I found the remainders of models and my old bitz box to work with and after some hunting on ebay I had enough to start work.

The first model is my namesake, Inquisitor Salus Rayner.

Also the back...

I decided to keep the model simplistic and muted, due to the background I have planned for him. He's trying to lay low right now.

Looking back at the model now compared to the GW inq scale models I got in the mail, the head is far too large!
Overall I am happy with how the sculpting came out and what mistakes I made I can learn from as I go along.

Next up for Rayner's warband is Rogue Trader Eira de Carisio.

The other side...

Tied to Rayner simply by bad luck and the promise of a free pardon, Eira holds no loyalty to him. I tried to give her a feeling of "nobility" but still giving her the appearance that she can hold her own in a fight.

Since he's an outlaw, I felt Rayner would need to rely on some of societies lesser loved characters...

So here's scavenger Cray Revant.

A back photo

So far I felt that the group was missing some ranged firepower, so the forth member of the warband had to fill that gap.
I had the idea that before losing everything, Eira had supplied Rayner with various supplies and oddities. One item she came across during her travels was an old Praetorian; VS39-4.

The rear...

Im not sure the fleshtone I have chosen really works. I wanted to given the impression that its old and the skin has started to corrode. Might have to retry it at some point.

After the main four characters were done, I wanted to make some interchangeable characters for the warband. So here's a WIP scavenger, Martin Varis.

Not sure how a scavenger got his hands on a bolter though...

My next idea was to create a puritan Inquisitor and Ecclesiarchy warband, so far the leader is still WIP; Inquisitor Issac Ernaldus.

The back
Above view

One problem I've noticed after taking this photo is that his left leg seems a bit thin, so I'll correct that before I go any further. I also feel I might need to add a few more cables and wires to make his armor a bit more futuristic.

After I had built VS39-4, I got a sudden urge to build a bunch of techpriests. Perhaps as a warband or for use as npcs.

Techpriest with auspex
Techpriest with spanner
Techpriest with rifle
Techpriest with breacher

I had great fun making these, I felt I could let my imagination go a bit wilder than the other models I had made so far! :)

kierkegaard

WELCOME TO THE CONCLAVE! (that is traditional here.)

Excellent work there. Simply excellent. I'm seething with jealousy.

Kaled

Very nice work there!  Some great sculpting and nice combinations of parts - impressive. :)
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Flinty

Very impressive! and some very nice sculpting going on there.

Really like the tech priests - what are the base models you used for those?
Neanderthal and Proud!

Rayner

Thank you all for the great feedback :)

Flinty - The techpriests were based on some WW2 German infantry models I picked up from ebay (here). The plastic is ridiculously bendy and hard to cut to shape or file down mould lines.

However, GS seems to hold on fine and I got 8 in the bundle, so good value for money!

Myriad

Good smooth greenstuff work -0 I'm still trying to get the hang of that myself.  Like the simplistic and muted look on Salus, the white lock of hair gives the model that extra bit of personality.  Techpriests are always fun to make, you get the range between almost human and mechanical cyborg to play with.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Heroka Vendile

this is one hell of a way to announce yourself to the Conclave! Great work there, some of your use of parts is very clever, very nice sculpting work as well.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

Really inspiring stuff.  The sculpting ranges from simple yet effective to fantastic (looking at the Inquisitor's face who has the tyranid bit shin-guard).  Makes me want to dig out the old bitz box...

Shannow

Envy in every which way possible my friend. Particularly your skill with the faces. Also love the mech warband :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Rayner

Done a little more work on Issac Ernaldus, fixed the problem with his leg and added a few accessories.

The back

I'm not sure if the tyranid armor plates on his lower left leg suit the rest of the model. I might alter it, but not quite sure how just yet.

Some reworks of old models I had make up the first two members of Ernaldus's group, here is Fanatic Jacob...

The back

and Preacher Marc.

The back

Any comments and advice are greatly appreciated :)

DapperAnarchist

ooooh, flamey goodness... I really like Preacher Marc's hand flamer, its excellent.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

I will second the shout for very good hand flamer, seems much more 'real' than others I have seen.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

psycho

Firstly welcome mate

im loving your sculpting skills and i think your gonna do very well with whatever minis you produce lol
However im not totally sold on the Preachers left Arm....think its a tad tooo long, looks like his wrist was cut off, replaced with a metal brace and then his hand was stuck back on. But in life i guess it could look better

kerby

Rayner

Here are the finished models of Ernaldus and the two current members of his warband.

The back
The left
The right

The back

The back

I'm still thinking about the next member of this group, perhaps a witch hunter?

Here's another sculpt I've been working on, a feral/western bounty hunter.

The back

Looking at this model, I've noticed its a bit "top heavy" and the armor is very... limited :) Im already planning to add some more chest coverage, perhaps a armored vest.

Myriad

Nice - I have a weakness for feral / western style models in inquisitor.  That is a really serious looking flamer, I think among the best I've seen.  The mad look on the model blends with it, naturally  :).
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!