Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rayner WIP

Started by Rayner, July 07, 2010, 12:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayner

Some more pictures for you today, as always comments and advice is greatly appreciated :)

First up is a quick conversion/sculpt, Scribe Abe.
I felt that Ernaldus appears to be quite a youthful Inquisitor, and perhaps needed someone to advise him.

The back

Next is Witch Hunter Dalton Quinlivan

The side
The back

There's still a lot of work to do on this model, (like that moulding line, which I thought I'd dealt with) but I wanted to ask for people's opinion on the hat... does if look like its too high up on his head? I'm planning to GS hair for the right side of his face, so maybe it will look less obvious then.

Also I'm working on a 40k style torch for his left hand, which still needs a lot of GS before its ready.

Looking at my bitz box, I found the parts to make this guy.

The back

No name for him yet, but I see him as a young adept who has been given the right gear but has no skill to use them and is a bit of a coward. His grasp on the halberd hopefully echoes this.

Whilst going through my bitz box to make the adept, I found the parts to a plastic fantasy ogre. As it was, the model was a bit too short for Inquisitor. I suddenly had a "hmm, I wonder if..." moment and proceeded to hack away at the plastic. Some clipping and greenstuff later and with a lick of paint, here is the result.

The left arm is a bit too long, but Im quite happy with how it turned out :)

Finally another member for Rayner's group, here's Ex-Imperial Guard Beatriz Hart.

The back

The right eye and her left side of the hairline are terrible sculpts, the photo is being very kind. I was also thinking of putting some tatoos on her arms, but I'm not sure what they should be. If anyone has any ideas or images I would greatly appreciate it.

Heroka Vendile

further excellent work, your sculpting especially is impressive  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Myriad

I like Abe, although the name made me smile because it's the same as my frankenstein's monster.  Dalton's hat is probably a bit too high once you point it out, but I don't think I'd notice if you hadn't.  Otherwise it works well with the dynamics of the model - he's got a real cavalier look about him.

Need to make allowances when sculpting I find - Beatriz looks pretty good.  Like the idea of an adept ineptly waving a (power?) halberd.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

kierkegaard

More excellent sculpting there (I'm very jealous.)

Abe is definitely my favourite, but I really like the extended Ogre and the flamer weilding cultist too.

I think that Dalton's hat is way too high (when I wear a hat, the brim is resting on my brow ridge, not two inches above it.) The problem is caused by the height of the wires on the left side of his head. I don't really see a way of fixing this without making them disapear into the brim of the hat.

Shannow

Quote from: kierkegaard on July 28, 2010, 05:30:37 PM
I don't really see a way of fixing this without making them disapear into the brim of the hat.

Perhaps tilting the hat forward and to the right side of his head in an 'oh so cool' manner? would raise the brim over the wires and let you lower the hat to a more natural position on his head.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Rayner

QuoteThe problem is caused by the height of the wires on the left side of his head. I don't really see a way of fixing this without making them disapear into the brim of the hat.

That's exactly what i've decided to do :)

I agree, the hat was sitting far too high up, now its resting on the top of his ears. Hopefully this will look slightly better, I'll post another picture once I've made more progress with the detailing.

EDIT: And here's the end result. I'm not entirely sold on this conversion, for some reason I think the best viewing angle is from the back... which doesn't really fill me with a lot of confidence.

The side
The back

Shannow

I think the lowered hat looks great, a very nice job. I do however think the pose of the torch arms seems off, perhaps if the torch was hanging at his side, rather then held aloft, or just generally at a less upward.backward angle. i can't figure out whether his hand would look better further up the torch as well.

Having said that I think as it is he look amazing anyway, and far outstrips my own talent so I wouldn't worry too much :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Rayner

Got round to painting these guys finally.  ;D

The back

I decided to give them a "drone" appearance by painting them all in a unified colour scheme. I still need to paint a logo on the back cloth strip of the techpriest with the breacher, but I'm not quite sure what to do yet.

EDIT: Oh! Almost forgot, I was going through some boxes and came across a few old inq models and this guy.

The back
The left
The right

Looking back at it now, I realise this model needs a LOT of work and is also very badly scaled  :)

But I might give this another go, tweak a few bits and see how it turns out. Any comments or ideas for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

phil-o-mat

use him as a dreadnought!

phil

Rayner

Hmm... I wasn't planning to use him for games, simply as a display piece. (I don't think it would make for fun or constructive gaming to bring such a monster onto the table... unless too many people bring along space marines of course ;D)

Heroka Vendile

Oh I'd say he's definitely usable in a game, sure he's very bulky and over-scaled, but as a GM controlled character rather than a player character I can see him being the perfect Big-BadTM for the end of a campaign - the overlord behind all the chaos cults the players have been hunting down.

Naturally as such a hulking model it would be more a matter him being taken out by the "rule of cool" rather than actual damage done to him (Rule of Cool, if you don't know, is where the GM ignores the dice or makes something with heavy modifiers easy because it is just so damn cool and action-movie-esque ).

From a modelling perspective I would say take that metal heavy bolter off and replace it with a gauntlet-mounted stormbolter a-la Grey Knights, made from a twin-linked heavy bolter off a 40k Landraider or somesuch. I'd also say that for the size of him the axe head needs to be doubled in size at the very least.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Rayner

I was thinking of scrapping the chainaxe and instead giving him a chainfist, plus I have some plastic 40k heavy bolters sitting in my bitz box for the stormbolter :)

Since he is such a bulky terminator, I'll try to model him as an archaic armor version... perhaps even some form of prototype from forgotten years.

Originally I was going to make him a World Eater, but now I'm not so sure. If anyone would like to recommend a good colour/design theme (I'm currently scouring my old Chaos space marine codex for detail inspiration ;D) it might end up being used!

Zakkeg

Y'know, I think he's about the right size for an Obliterator...
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Shannow

Definitely paint him in dark colours and use him as a statue that in an end scenario is inhabited by a loosed herald daemon.....oooh yeah definitely :D

My 2 cents anyway :P

Rob

Time to die.

Heroka Vendile

Alpha Legion is the perfect CSM Legion to be involved in Inquisitor, they're masters of subterfuge, lies and stealth - perfect for the grand master behind a large number of cults (have you read Legion by Dan Abnett from the Horus Heresy series?)
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy