Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Vampire Psyker Inquisitor(+ Retinue)

Started by KaHellun, July 09, 2010, 05:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaHellun

First Post  ;D

Well, this is my namesake, Inquisitor Ka'Hellun.
This will be the base model http://www.pizarrominiaturas.com/tienda/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Inquisitor KaHellun was born on Noclatia Secundus in 803M38. He was born an albino, like everyone else on the planet Ka'Hallun is tall and slight with long, flowing black hair and black eyes.
His father, KaJang, was a black smith. KaHelluns mother was killed when he was 3, by a cultist of the chaos gods. His father then went out for revenge and was also killed. Thus KaHellun retrieved his fathers sword and was taken in by a monk of the Promethean cult.
At the age of 14, KaHellun started to crave blood(but this was nullefied by the sword) and started to practise he psychic abilities. Soon the black ships came and took him away. After rigorous training as a psyker and consistant screening(That he passed, just), at the age of 21, Ka'Hellun was asigned to the Noclatian 106th. Unlike other psykers Ka'Hellun asked to take basic training with the rest of the troops.
He served with destinction throughout the campaign for Grajight Prime and was requested to be a member of Inquisitor Haip Jarkeira, 8 years after he started to serve with the Imperial Guard at the age of 29. Serving as Haip's personal lie detector for 9 years, Ka'Hellun then became Haip's apprentace and acolyte. While an acolyte Ka'Hellun practiced almost entirely on his sword work and was even able to best his mentor when they sparred near the end of his apprenticeship.
He became an inquisitor 16 years later at the age of 54, although he only looked about 18. He is not officially part of any inquisitorial phylisophical faction. He is sympathetic to mutants as he is one himself. He ages very slowly and works on the very edge of the imperium so that when he outlives everyone else he is not killed by the inquisition for being a mutant.
Standing at 6'2" he is rather tall. His slightn non muscular bodyis horribly scared down his back. His long, flowing black hair matches his eyes in colour and contrasts highly against his near white skin. With a mostache and goatie due to long periods of investigation without respite and the planets that he usually work on are unsavoury, frontier worlds, he would be out of place as a clean shaven man. He wears a brown robe with a hood and the green flak armour of the Noclatian regiments. He holds his weapons underneath his robe, where appropriate as to avoid unwanted attension.
The sword that he uses is named the Noclation Sword of Vampiric Accendance. It has been in Ka'Hellun's family since the Age of Strife. Originally just a mundane sword, it now is an incredibly powerful relic that in the hands of a mortal would ruin his family and eventually Noclatia Secundus aswell. The wielder of the sword engraves a rune into the blade and upon his death his soul empowers the blade much like the daemon weapons used by the followers of chaos. These runes glow red with the yearning for blood. Sometimes the blade will speak to the current wielder offering advice or using the combined knowledge of his ancestors explaining relics and artifacts that he may stumble across. This voice is of one of his ancestors, so if the blade is talking about a particular field, the ancestor who knows about it si the voice. Made from a type of black metal only found on Noclatia Secundus called Pharine, the swords blade always stays sharp. It is single edged with a intricate pomel design.
If unsure of what to do next he will consult the blade. Usually it will advise him on what to do but on rare occassions it may well stay silent and make him decide.

Inquisitor KaHellun
WS   Bs   S   T   I   Wp   Sg   Nv   Ld
83   66   79   63   87   78   78   67   74

Handedness:
Right Handed
Skills:
Acrobat, Catfall, First Strike, Fast Draw, Vampirism, Wyrd(Detection), Vampire
Vampire: Untill a successful Vampirism attack is made Ka'Hellun take D3 damage when in direct sunlight.
Phychic Abilities:
Demoralise, Enforce Will, Psychic Shriek, Telepathy
Wargear/Equipment:
Noclatian Sword of Vampiric Accendance(Daemon Bastard Sword(Cannot be possesed) with Bound, Breathe, Deflection, Warp Flame, Vampyre), Medusa Pattern Lasgun with 1 Reload and Incinerator with 2 reloads, Autopistol with 3 reloads, 2 Throwing Knives, Heavy Flak Armour(Armour 4) on all areas except head, Heat Vision(Permanent Infra Scope as he sees in partial heat vision)
Medusa Patter Lasgun:
Same as triplex but may fire at Semi(2-3)

Dust King

I'd suggest just using the bound rule from the daemon weapon rules for simplicity's sake.

The character sounds like an interesting concept, I'd like to hear some more details about him rather than his past.

Still I like him.

Vladimir

So, he's a mutant. And probably a dangerous one at that (wot with all the blood craving and so on). How exactly did the guy become an Inquisitor? I mean, seriously? I don't want to sound too harsh here, but... if a mutant is going to become high ranking in the imperium, particularly in a role as rigourously screened as an Inquisitor, that takes some explaining...
ANother thought is that you may want to make his powers more focussed... psykers tend to do one thing well, be that blowing things up, playing with people's minds or altering their own bodies. I don't really get any theme with his powers...
also, WELCOME TO THE CONCLAVE!
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

Kaled

I agree with Vladimir, why would he be made an Inquisitor when he's clearly a dangerous mutant? I agree he may be a useful tool ffor an Inquisitor, or even an acolyte - but making him an Inquisitor is a stretch. I'm surprised the Blackships didn't kill him as soon as they found him. Not saying his story is impossible, but it's certainly unusual enough to warrent further explanation...

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

Simple answer to why he works for Inquisition, if not for why he's an Inquisitor - Horusians.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Zephon

Unless his vampirism is related to his psychic nature - he could be a psyker with a more bizarre than usual array of 'gifts'. With a set of macabre powers, including vampirism (which could be required for the others) he might easily attract the attention of an Inquisitor, though the interest would be more likely to be in capturing and investigating such strange psychic abilities. But if the investigation showed he was 'only' a weird kind of psyker rather than a blood-sucking mutant psyker... well, there are plenty of psychic Inquisitors.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Zephon on July 09, 2010, 12:21:56 PM...well, there are plenty of psychic Inquisitors.
And it's an idea I think is too common.

Psykers are inherently distrusted in the Imperium. For one to be given the ultimate authority would be rare. Not impossible of course (my namesake is one), but they'd need to prove themselves more than anyone else.

More likely, Inquisitors would keep around psykers on their staff rather than being psykers themselves.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Vladimir

@marco-skoll
I thought the inquisition recruited a certain amout of their number from the Adaptes Astra Telepathica- like the Astartes they get first pick of the most pure, strong-willed and faithful psykers. Psychic inquisitors are generally- if not that powerful- quite common. And pretty hard to corrupt, possibly more so than their non-psychic brethren, due to the rigourous screening of the Coleges Psykana.
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Vladimir on July 09, 2010, 03:04:02 PMI thought the inquisition recruited a certain amount of their number from the Adaptes Astra Telepathica
Yes, the Inquisition do recruit from the AAT. However, that does not mean that those people will ever become acolytes or Inquisitors - just because someone has been recruited into an Inquisitor's staff does not make them destined to become an Inquisitor themself.

As I've said before, I don't like the "Recruited as an acolyte" line. It's a very serious thing to mark out someone as having the potential to become an Inquisitor, so you'd do some serious observation before actually making someone an acolyte. I'm not sure any of my character backgrounds have less than about 18 months in an Inquisitor's service before the character became an acolyte.

Quotelike the Astartes they get first pick of the most pure, strong-willed and faithful psykers
The Astartes are one of the exceptions to the AAT. Their psychic recruits come from their normal recruitment (separated out in the process), not from the AAT.

QuotePsychic inquisitors are generally- if not that powerful- quite common.
Which doesn't really make much sense. While I'd say the average psychic ability of an Inquisitor is greater than the Imperial average, I would still say that psychic Inquisitors should be a distinct minority.

Those who can cut it as an Inquisitor are rare anyway. The number of psykers who can cut it will be even less. If an Inquisitor comes across someone who could be an acolyte, they're far more likely to be a non-psyker. General distrust would also reduce the likelihood of a psyker's promotion.
(It also means that psykers are more likely to be acolytes to older Inquisitors - or indeed, other psykers - who have had the opportunity to shake off some of the prejudices).

Yes, ultimately, we don't pick our characters because they're likely, but because they're interesting, so there is a reasonable justification for not necessarily adhering to the likely probability, but people do need to shake off the idea that the Inquisition is quite as populated with psykers as Dan Abnett's books make out.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

I'd tend to agree with Marco, apart from the AAT has traditionally supplied psykers to the Chapters, at least in the Codex Imperialis (one of the last things to give much detail on the relation between the Blackships and the Chapters). While the Marines are exempt from the Blackships tithe, they do benefit from the high-level safe psykers.

KaHellun

The idea behind the psychic powers is to represent powers to do with his vampirism and he is a partial psyker when it comes to his fireball and psychic impel.

The Inquisitor does not take him as an acolyte straight away, if you look at the ages, he was 14 when he was taken by the black ships as a psyker to be trained, then soon after he was taken as part of the inquisitor's onterage and 16 years after he became an acolyte at the age of 34 he became an inquisitor. This means he was a member of the inquisitors retinue for 4 years before he became an acolyte.

The reason that the inquisitor took Ka'Hellun as a member of his retinue was because the monk was a high ranking member of the promethean cult and was the inquisitor's phylisophical teacher.

His father's sword is a specialy crafted force sword that hides the vampirism and also removes the craving for blood, because his father was also a vampire. Thus he can hide it from officials.

Standing at 6'2" and rather thin and bony without his armour, Ka'Hellun tries to be as subtle as possible. Wearing a very dark blue to almost black robe on top of his hardened leather and chainmail armour, even with this armour and clothing he still looks only as muscular as a fit guardsman in casual clothes. Wielding a black sword that glows red and a dark blue shield that matches the armour with a blue =I= marking upon in his weaponry and clothing do not attract much attention at night when it blends with the dark with almost perfect ease. Perhaps he uses his psychic powers to cloak his movements but unlike anything else he does not make a sound. Although not a great shot his ability to draw a gun quickly has saved his life on numerous occasions. His skill at arms is almost unrivalled when it comes to his use of the sword, he has been known to walk into a cultist meeting and fight them all without hesitation by himself.  Although not good with weapons, he has a good grasp of puzzles and is an alright tactician.

DapperAnarchist

Hmmmm...

Ok, this is going to be critical. Don't take it badly though, I just have my own problems with this.

1) 34 is still young for an Inquisitor. Think of a government official. Barack Obama  is among the youngest Presidents (perhaps youngest? Or one of the Adams?) having been elected at 46. 46 is 12 years older than your Inquisitor was at his election (it is a sort of election, just not democratic), and Obama just has to rule one country and relate to a few others. Inquisitors control the Imperium. Further, an Inquisitor who gains the seal at 70 could have, oh, 100 to 200 years of service ahead of him. 34 is young.

2) Chaos cultists on Nocturne? The homeworld of the Salamanders, who live among the people? Hmmm... Not sure that flies.

3) Your quick overview in the previous post is a bit confused. It seems to fit D&D more than Inquisitor, and is contradictory - is he good with weapons or not?

4) Psykers on the Blackships don't keep anything, partly to avoid exactly the sort of thing you describe - all tainted psykers must be identified.

It seems to me that Ka'Hellun just doesn't quite fit, somehow... But this is my opinion, that's all. There's a lot interesting here, a lot of potential, but something seems off.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on July 09, 2010, 06:36:16 PMBarack Obama  is among the youngest Presidents (perhaps youngest? Or one of the Adams?) having been elected at 46.
Youngest was Roosevelt at 42, although he wasn't elected (he was vice president when McKinley was assassinated). Youngest elected was Kennedy at 43.
Obama is in 5th place at 47 when inaugurated.

I would certainly agree with you on this one. To refer to him again, Skoll is the youngest of my Inquisitors at promotion, taking the rank at only 38 - and it is set out in the background that it was put through earlier than it perhaps should have been (and he himself is amongst the people saying that).

I'd also say that 14 was impractically young to be in an Inquisitor's entourage. The Inquisition is not a child sitting service.
Anyone much younger than about 20, and only if they were too good to pass up, would be sent off for someone else to look after until they'd emotionally and physically matured. If you weren't exceptional, they wouldn't bother.
There are quadrillions of people in the Imperium - why waste time waiting for someone who isn't all that good when you can go and find someone better right now?

GW's =I= articles

KaHellun

Edited

Also the monk pulls strings within the promethean cult which allows him to keep the sword

KaHellun

Ok, so this is the first member of his retinue, Tirriel Nactoxia.

Tirriel Nactoxia was born on Mordant Prime in 940M39. His father was a miner and his mother is a doctor. He was a wild child taking drugs, stealing, gambling and getting in to fights(Hint* He usually won). Inducted into the Imperial Guard and therefore the Mordant Acid Dogs at the age of 16. In "The Dogs" all of his skills came into their own. He served at the 4th campaign for Grajight Prime, the campaign for Haclatia and the battle for Helbrachus. He reached the rank of Gunnery Sergeant after 14 years of service. Unfortunately for Tirriel, kneecapping and removing the teeth of a leutenant from the Finreht Highlanders is an offence punishable by death. Placed on Acripytha at the age of 35, a penal world only for military criminals, he was given six months before he would be killed. While in prison, Tirriel, took part in a daring escape that against incredible odds was successful. Ending in taking a shuttle and leaving the planet. Since the escapees have worked as a mercenary band known as the Black Scars. Working on the fringes of impirial space, Tirriel met Ka'Hellun on Jaeptianitrix V in 987M39. He was hired after he killed an Arbite and a drug dealer in a hotel named the El'Muchacho. He has worked for Ka'Hellun ever since.

Ex Gunnery Sergeant Tirriel Nactoxia
Ws   Bs   S   T   I   Wp   Sg   Nv   Ld
71   73   42   59   65   57   48   74   66

Handedness:
Right Handed
Skills:
Hipshooting, Quickload, Night Sight, Colour Blind
Wargear/Equipment:
Autogun with 3 Reloads, Revolver with 24 Man-stopper Rounds, Throwing Axe, Knife, 2 Frag Grenades and 2 Gas Grenades with Bloodfire, Light Carapace Armour(Armour 5) on all location except head