Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Vampire Psyker Inquisitor(+ Retinue)

Started by KaHellun, July 09, 2010, 05:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

Alright, but to represent what? The sisters' power in the LRB represents a perfectly mundane thing - sign language. Any supernatural occurence which is invoked and controlled by a human mind is a psychic power - that's what a psychic power is. So unless your characters is getting out fireproof gloves and lighter fluid I would say that he is using a psychic power. Similarly the detection thing - what is it representing? If its him scanning the area through the warp with his mind that is a psychic power.

It's all well and fine making the excuse that they aren't psychic, but if they aren't what are they?

DapperAnarchist

Detection has been suggested (in the Pathfinder article) as a power for "non-psykers", where its not the detection of souls, but the following of tracks, smells, small noises, that sort of thing. But that wasn't Wyrd, since Detection is Difficulty: 0

But yes, what exactly is going on does seem to be a problem.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Kaled

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on July 12, 2010, 04:04:49 PM
Detection has been suggested (in the Pathfinder article) as a power for "non-psykers", where its not the detection of souls, but the following of tracks, smells, small noises, that sort of thing. But that wasn't Wyrd, since Detection is Difficulty: 0
I always thought that was a bit silly - if it's not being used to represent some innate psychic sense, why does it rely on Wp (and not Sg for instance)?  And what happens if the test is failed - presumably nothing.  It'd have been better to have just re-written the rule completely.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

KaHellun

Due to the overwelming majority the wyrd is now gone he now has this power.

Burning Adreneline
When the character is under stress(GM Discretion) he must take a Nv test, if passed he continues normally but if failed he gains Frenzy and Burning Fist.

This represents when the adrenaline rushes through his body, he becomes angry and his fist burst into flames because of some strange mutation. Sorta like the Incredible Hulk. (Hint* Don't Make Him Angry)

I also have another character to add. The teleporting assassin by the name of Helion Graesnor. Base model here http://www.pizarrominiaturas.com/tienda/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3
Will have head swap and left arm repositioned pointing a pistol.

Helion was born in 970M39 on Halacraxis to an Imperial Assassin and an Imperial Guardsmen. He was tall as a kid and still is today, standing at 6'5". He is blond with short hair and a mostache. Raised in a middle class socio-economic area going to a government run school. He was bullied for being weak, this lead to depression. He got over this at the age of 14 when he met his first girlfriend. Now he really would like to forget a his school life. Dropping out of school at the age of 15, he soon left home and travelled off planet with a rogue trader by the name of Gizril Von Helsie. He became an assassin for hire on Draxas, starting out with just a las pistol he had stolen from his father. He soon became a renowned assassin by the name of 'Grax', travelling from planet to planet taking out important officials and drugdealers and other individuals. He discovered his ability to teleport when he was almost killed by a Adeptus Arbites Judge who had a grudge against Helion after he killed the Judge's son. He travels through the warp and comes back into real space. He evaded capture and left the planet. Now a rogue psyker, he traveled to the very edge of imperial space. In the early days of M40, He met Ka'Hellun on Warsax Prime. He was hired and has worked with Inquisitor Ka'Hellun ever since.

Helion Graesnor
Ws   Bs   S   T   I   Wp   Sg   Nv   Ld
41   83   42   37   76   64   45   58   69

Handedness:
Left Handed
Skill:
Gunfighter, Fast Draw
Psychic Powers:
Teleport
Teleport:
Difficulty: 15
The Psyker may travel up to 3d6. This may include going through walls, roofs and other similar objects.
Equipment:
2 Needle Pistols with 4 Reloads with Hallucinogen , 3 Photon Flash Grenades, 2 points of Armour on all locations except head

1337inquisitor

Wouldn't it more be a WP check? Anyway if he has such violent outbursts then why the name of god emperor would the blackships not discover this psychic instability and kill him. I would personally give him a drug addiction of you want a character who suddenly gets more powerful in game.
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Brother_Brimstone

I'm sorry, I don't wish to sound unreasonable but do you know what a mutation is? It's an alteration (either by deletion or transformation) of a particular sequence of bases on any given section of DNA which either leads to a different protein being produced or an exon becoming an intron (i hope i got that right....my biology knowledge is A-level, not degree so maybe it's one of those things which you later learn is wrong...).

I know we are talking about a game with daemons and mutants with scaly skin, wings etc... but this is far beyond the limits of suspension of disbelief. There is a gene possible for scaly skin and the dna bases are universal, so while a scaly is remarkable, it still seems reasonable. There is, however, no known gene for 'being on fire' because 'being on fire' isn't controlled by metabolic pathways....

On the other hand, if you attribute it to being 'magical' rather than 'mundane' (i.e. it isn't a mutation from genetic variation and over-exposure to mutatgenic agents, but is due to the powers of the warp), that to me still sounds like a psychic power. After all, it is still a human mind invoking a supernatural change.

Perhaps I'm getting too realist here but i just don't buy 'he sets his hands on fire through mutation!' when the mutation isn't wyrd (and we've already noted the problems with two wyrds in one warband). It seems so far away from what 'mutation' actually means that i can't buy it. Maybe i'm in the minority in which case, fair enough, but that's my opinion.

KaHellun

yes, but I thought I had some sort of artistic license, but will remove the whole mutation on Tirriel, maybe give him someother mutation, any suggestions?

But, he must be a mutant.

Brother_Brimstone

Artistic licence is fair and good, but there is an element of suspense of disbelief. I would accept a man posessed by a daemon, a sorcerer who could bend reality to his will or a genetically enhanced super-soldier, all of which are 'unrealistic' things - but, within the context of 40K make sense and thus do not push the limits of suspense of disbelief. Certain things are just too unrealistic, or they don't follow their own internal logic (or that of the world in which they are set), and that's where I draw the line. For example, if I were to say that I wanted to play Abaddon, but he's become 'good' all of sudden, in terms of realism (i.e. how true it is to the 'real world'), that's no less beleivable than a daemonically posessed sorcerer, but it doesn't follow the internal logic of the 40k verse and thus is beyond suspense of disbelief.

I don't want you to think i'm being unfair or 'picking on you', and I never wish to discourage those new to the game (I myself have only been properly involved in the hobby for about half a year), I'm just highlighting problems as I see them, to try and help you improve the character, or at least make it, in my mind, less objectionable.

KaHellun

no, i did not think you were picking on me, but anyways what you think on third character, base models for 1st and 3rd and what sort of mutation to give to the second?

I thought i might make it so he can see in the dark but is colour blind and has an enhanced sence of smell, but just a thought.

Cheers
Ka'Hellun

Ps- 2 more characters to go Ka'Hellun's Acolyte, a super acrobatic psychopath with a love of flamer weaponry and an Arbites Judge(Dirty Harry Style)

DapperAnarchist

Nightsight + Colourblindness is a brilliant idea - he'd go from "hehehe, I can see you..." to "I need to cut the red wire... which one's the red wire?!?!".
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

KaHellun

Added.

What do people think of the Assassin, Helion Graesnor?

Cheers
Ka'Hellun

Ps- Found best mannequin so will be sculpting all characters from that. Incredible challenge that I just set myself, sculpting 5 full characters from scratch, as currently I do not really trust my sculpting ability. Will draw pics and post on here, although they will not be very good.

MarcoSkoll

Hmm. Looking at this, you seem to be going X-men form of mutation. In some cases, that's vaguely plausible, but in most, no.

A Wolverine type could potentially fit within 40k. Regeneration, super-strength and claws... unlikely, but possible by 40k mutation. After all, all of those things can happen in the natural world. Some animals can regrow body parts, some have considerable strength, and some have claws. Soup a few of those things up, and... yeah.
However, take most X-men, and they would only work in the 40k universe by psychic ability. There are no animals which can shoot lasers out of their eyes, turn into "living metal" or psychically control others (well, except for Derren Brown, but he's just plain weird).

In 40k, if something is a turbo-charged version of something that could happen in the real world, then yes, it could potentially be a mutation. If it would have to be supernatural, then it has to be psychic (or for some "powers", faith-based might be acceptable, but that seems unlikely here).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Vladimir

um?
This may sound daft, what's wrong with him being a psyker? Not 'wyrd representing a mutationy thing' but a strait up Wyrd? All psykers are, by their very nature, mutants...
But what if the Emperor could be granted a body that does not wither and die, that could be his vessel for all eternity to come? I believe that such a thing is possible, that the Emperor yet waits for his new body to be found or created. In essence, a new Emperor will be created to lead Mankind to i

KaHellun

There only going to be 2 actual psykers in the warband, Helion and the currently unnamed acolyte.

Ka'Hellun has been changed slightly. So has Tirriel.